New Offense Looks

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Did Dimitri Stanley see the field? Wonder if he's in the Campbell doghouse for some reason or if he's just buried on the depth chart.

Loved the TD to Brahmer, that's the kind of blitz breaker pass that we've been missing. Rocco identified it, didn't telegraph it and made the throw.

Still need that oline to improve to give whichever QB is out there more time.

Reactions: khardbored

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
OL will get better with time, Clanton has been at ISU for...6 months? We want to see growth and I bet it happens. They have game film now and can teach from that. It also sounds like UNI plays an uncommon defense. ISU doesn't spend months prepping for the UNI game like UNI does.

I think a big difference between Montgomery & Hall compared to the current RBs...those two just wouldn't run straight into the pile they had great vision. They saw holes develop and hit them rather then just running into a pile. They were quick enough to make those adjustments during plays and tough enough to shed a tackle or two for additional positive yardage.

Reactions: t-noah

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Did Dimitri Stanley see the field? Wonder if he's in the Campbell doghouse for some reason or if he's just buried on the depth chart.

Loved the TD to Brahmer, that's the kind of blitz breaker pass that we've been missing. Rocco identified it, didn't telegraph it and made the throw.

He was on the field a lot I felt like. Like last year though, creates almost no separation

CYKXBUT2

Oct 8, 2020

Pretty sure Stanley had a holding penalty. Other than that he was not a weapon.

Reactions: nrg4isu

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
OL will get better with time, Clanton has been at ISU for...6 months? We want to see growth and I bet it happens. They have game film now and can teach from that. It also sounds like UNI plays an uncommon defense. ISU doesn't spend months prepping for the UNI game like UNI does.

I think a big difference between Montgomery & Hall compared to the current RBs...those two just wouldn't run straight into the pile they had great vision. They saw holes develop and hit them rather then just running into a pile. They were quick enough to make those adjustments during plays and tough enough to shed a tackle or two for additional positive yardage.
Our RB vision is really subpar other than Sama. That's what will separate him from the rest before the season is over. Sanders and Norton both miss a lot of holes. Sanders running into the pile and Norton dancing into the wrong hole.

Montgomery was such a perfect fit for our bad OLs lol

wintersmd

Jul 2, 2014
I thought the Oline looked better at the 'playing with intent' aspect for positioning etc.

I think it will come along.
The biggest thing to me from the O Line gave up ZERO sacks. And for the ones that say "well it was just UNU", I say UNI had multiple sacks in the past. Gie the O Line a few weeks and we should be ready for conference play.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Our RB vision is really subpar other than Sama. That's what will separate him from the rest before the season is over. Sanders and Norton both miss a lot of holes. Sanders running into the pile and Norton dancing into the wrong hole.

Montgomery was such a perfect fit for our bad OLs lol

I thought Sanders could have bounced one out yesterday and ran in clean in the series after the good punt return.

Things are different in a game though so it'll get there.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
It seemed to me that we didn’t have nearly as much pre snap window dressing which was refreshing to see.
I also enjoyed this, more of a get the play in and go type offense.

All the delayed pre snap motion last year would drive me wild. It A) allows the defense to reset and actually get more of a breather and composed and B) it tempts fate that one of the OL has a false start. I feel the false starts aren't as likely if we just snap and go quickly after getting the play in.

Reactions: khardbored

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I also enjoyed this, more of a get the play in and go type offense.

All the delayed pre snap motion last year would drive me wild. It A) allows the defense to reset and actually get more of a breather and composed and B) it tempts fate that one of the OL has a false start. I feel the false starts aren't as likely if we just snap and go quickly after getting the play in.

I hated it for years.

I know it's to find tells or shifts in the defense but to me it just took away any rhythm and didn't seem to make much difference.

If it did we'd see more teams doing it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It didn’t feel like 5 yards per carry.

Agree. It seemed like we got very few carries over 5+ yard carries.

If you take out Sama and Norton's long runs (26&17 yards), we averaged 3.6ypc. Not horrible, but we seemed to struggle getting yards to keep the sticks moving.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Another thing, not trying to bash on him, but JJ Kohl did not look like someone who was an early enrollee 4 star. That was brutal to watch.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Another thing, not trying to bash on him, but JJ Kohl did not look like someone who was an early enrollee 4 star. That was brutal to watch.
Did he actually throw a pass? Watching on tv I couldn’t tell if no one was open or if he was just hesitant to throw. The scrambles for positive yardage were nice to see. But the offense as a whole looked much better with becht in the game