New Strength Coach

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
New Strength Coach - HE IS OFFICIAL

I really like what I am hearing about where Rhoads has gone on the new S&C. I won't rehash all the arguments about the two prior, but both had their (no pun intended) strengths and weaknesses. Getty was more of a fitness professional, but if you recall one of the complaints that always came out on this board and those that preceded it on NFL combine day....our guys didn't test well in strength. Shep had built the strength of the team and yet he too wasn't a complete "modern" fitness guy and also as has been reported widely was not as universally loved by players as Getty was.

What I am hearing about the new guy is that he is more balance across these two, but importantly has more of a football specific focus. Understanding not just the strength/muscle development for football, but also the has great perspective on developing guys to not just test well (which if it wasn't important it wouldn't be in the combine) but making them better able to use that strength in football situations.

More to follow, but if what I am hearing is correct I will be very pleased. And no like everyone else I have no idea when anything will be announced

Last edited:

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I really like what I am hearing about where Rhoads has gone on the new S&C. I won't rehash all the arguments about the two prior, but both had their (no pun intended) strengths and weaknesses. Getty was more of a fitness professional, but if you recall one of the complaints that always came out on this board and those that preceded it on NFL combine day....our guys didn't test well in strength. Shep had built the strength of the team and yet he too wasn't a complete "modern" fitness guy and also as has been reported widely was not as universally loved by players as Getty was.

What I am hearing about the new guy is that he is more balance across these two, but importantly has more of a football specific focus. Understanding not just the strength/muscle development for football, but also the has great perspective on developing guys to not just test well (which if it wasn't important it wouldn't be in the combine) but making them better able to use that strength in football situations.

More to follow, but if what I am hearing is correct I will be very pleased. And no like everyone else I have no idea when anything will be announced

If there was a new guy hired, it would already be announced. You may be hearing suppositions on what they might be looking for, but what I've told is the announcement will be made when it happens. There would be NO reason to hold back on this one.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Why doesn't anybody just say the name of the supposed hire? I would like to know. What's the purpose to even start this thread if nobody is going to say a name? Might as well just get on here and say that I was reading the bible and the end of the world is coming someday. Seriously......any names?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Getty was more of a fitness professional

Where did you get this? After graduating from Luther (and playing football) he went right into football strength and conditioning at Wisconsin-Platteville, then five years at Notre Dame as an asst. under Jerry Schmidt, then at ISU, and now at Air Force.
He has never been anything other than a football S/C coach.

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
Why doesn't anybody just say the name of the supposed hire? I would like to know. What's the purpose to even start this thread if nobody is going to say a name? Might as well just get on here and say that I was reading the bible and the end of the world is coming someday. Seriously......any names?[/QUOTe

I thought I posted enough that it would have value, but since it seems that stuff isn't important to folks I can keep it to myself. I found it interesting so I shared. Sorry

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Why doesn't anybody just say the name of the supposed hire? I would like to know. What's the purpose to even start this thread if nobody is going to say a name? Might as well just get on here and say that I was reading the bible and the end of the world is coming someday. Seriously......any names?[/QUOTe

I thought I posted enough that it would have value, but since it seems that stuff isn't important to folks I can keep it to myself. I found it interesting so I shared. Sorry

It's ok....I forgive you. ;)

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006

Thanks for the info. I too have heard the Browns S&C coach is an option.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
Well no matter who it is, 90% of this site or greater will:

1. Belittle the guy that just left, because he is no longer here.
2. Praise the new guy for his techniques, because he is here.

JCloned2

Dec 29, 2008
Where did you get this? After graduating from Luther (and playing football) he went right into football strength and conditioning at Wisconsin-Platteville, then five years at Notre Dame as an asst. under Jerry Schmidt, then at ISU, and now at Air Force.
He has never been anything other than a football S/C coach.

Sorry, I didn't express that well. It was meant to primarily be a compliment. Getty is a guy who the strength and fitness community would recognize (as they did in 2001) as a epitomizing what the overall strength and conditioning is about. Remember though, he wasn't named best football S&C and that is an important distinction. Getty's only flaw in my mind and remember I like him, is that he approach is not as dedicated purely to football as I think it could be and that showed up in the strength results on combine day. Think about it if our best of the best athletes consistently test poorly on strength as is indisputedly true, it should tell you something. Again though this wasn't meant to be about Getty, b/c I think the best of Getty will be present in who I think is going to be the guy based on what I have heard.

scclone

Dec 13, 2008
Well no matter who it is, 90% of this site or greater will:

1. Belittle the guy that just left, because he is no longer here.
2. Praise the new guy for his techniques, because he is here.

Oh I guarantee you if CPR hired Mickey Mouse there will be an article how he has brought "discipline" and "more demanding" workouts". Every year in college football its the same thing with new hires.

Reactions: Ficklone02

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Oh I guarantee you if CPR hired Mickey Mouse there will be an article how he has brought "discipline" and "more demanding" workouts". Every year in college football its the same thing with new hires.

I trained with Mickey Mouse a few years back, it was TOUGH!

:jimlad:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Sorry, I didn't express that well. It was meant to primarily be a compliment. Getty is a guy who the strength and fitness community would recognize (as they did in 2001) as a epitomizing what the overall strength and conditioning is about. Remember though, he wasn't named best football S&C and that is an important distinction. Getty's only flaw in my mind and remember I like him, is that he approach is not as dedicated purely to football as I think it could be and that showed up in the strength results on combine day. Think about it if our best of the best athletes consistently test poorly on strength as is indisputedly true, it should tell you something. Again though this wasn't meant to be about Getty, b/c I think the best of Getty will be present in who I think is going to be the guy based on what I have heard.

Thanks for the clarification. I still correspond with Getty, and know that he and Schmidt at OU still compare notes all the time, and coach nearly identical programs.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
So, if we assume the Browns S&C Coach as others have said, Tom Myslinski would make sense.

Cleveland Browns

They were at Pitt together in 2000-2001.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

No, keep it coming. It keeps things interesting around here. I would rather have partial info than none.