Iowa State Uniform Discussions

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I continue to admire your design work. I might be in the minority among uniform-geeks, but what we have as uniform options, the black/white with gray trim alternate mix with our standard cardinal/gold variations don't mesh well.
If what you are saying that the black uniform does not mix well w/ our c/g, I don't think you are the only one that feels this way. There are many on here who have voiced how we need to add white or gold stripes here, accents there, etc, or add some c/g to the black jersey/pant, all in an effort to make things blend/flow better.

You may be right about the black jersey and pant (by not having any c/g color) not mixing well w/ the other uniform set. I have come to accept and actually like the black set though. I like its simplicity and think it actually can combo w/ our other color sets fairly well, although at first I didn't believe it. If we did it occasionally what would it hurt?

Really some of the black and c/g or white combos I've depicted in the recent past we haven't even seen yet, and may never? If I remember right the only black and and c/g combo we've really seen so far is the b/c/c w/ black socks (Baylor last year). (Am I right?) That was a great look IMO, but didn't involve mixing of the jersey or pant.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
What do you guys think about the black chin straps?
I like 'em (even more considering the alternative might have been an unchanged Black collar on the cardinal jersey!). The gold sleeve addition, cardinal collar and black chin straps all get a thumbs up from me.

I don't think we will see other chin strap colors on the cardinal helmet other than black this year (I could be wrong). However in the future (maybe ??) it would be nice to have black, cardinal and white (or off-white)(maybe even gold) chinstraps. Such a simple and cheap accessory (needed by all players) would make for some easy and nice combinations.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
So w/w/w, a very good look no doubt, I like it! You were right @cyclones500 when you predicted all white, kudos!

Haha, I'm wrong once again. I really thought we might see the chrome helmet sooner vs later, and maybe mixed w/ black pant.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I’m not 100% certain they’re doing that anymore with their new identity and uniform set. Their greens and golds look really good (if you are able to separate it from the associated rape culture), and I don’t remember if they included black with it.

BU unveiled an updated set last spring, so I think you're correct. Going back to yellow-gold and not the metallic-gold, and may have dropped the black entirely, based on this sample.

BU.jpg

Reactions: k123

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If what you are saying that the black uniform does not mix well w/ our c/g, I don't think you are the only one that feels this way. There are many on here who have voiced how we need to add white or gold stripes here, accents there, etc, or add some c/g to the black jersey/pant, all in an effort to make things blend/flow better.

You may be right about the black jersey and pant (by not having any c/g color) not mixing well w/ the other uniform set. I have come to accept and actually like the black set though. I like its simplicity and think it actually can combo w/ our other color sets fairly well, although at first I didn't believe it. If we did it occasionally what would it hurt?

Really some of the black and c/g or white combos I've depicted in the recent past we haven't even seen yet, and may never? If I remember right the only black and and c/g combo we've really seen so far is the b/c/c w/ black socks (Baylor last year). (Am I right?) That was a great look IMO, but didn't involve mixing of the jersey or pant.

There are ways to merge the black concept into the C&G, but with current choices available it isn't quite there yet, and I'd hate them to try to force the combination "just because it's available." I feel like we do that with the current C-C-W, that some of us think looks like "practice pants" that don't integrate effectively. That ties in with the idea of having white/cardinal/gold accents on the pants, at least when it's needed.

Right now, the all-black monochrome, even though I was resistant to mixing black at all, has a unity to it. I could see having an W-W-W with black logo/numbers and gray/silver trim working as a road alternate. Or a B-B-B with cardinal logo/numbers w/ white trim. Those would have to occur as gradual additions.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There are ways to merge the black concept into the C&G, but with current choices available it isn't quite there yet, and I'd hate them to try to force the combination "just because it's available." I feel like we do that with the current C-C-W, that some of us think looks like "practice pants" that don't integrate effectively. That ties in with the idea of having white/cardinal/gold accents on the pants, at least when it's needed.

Right now, the all-black monochrome, even though I was resistant to mixing black at all, has a unity to it. I could see having an W-W-W with black logo/numbers and gray/silver trim working as a road alternate. Or a B-B-B with cardinal logo/numbers w/ white trim. Those would have to occur as gradual additions.

BFBS was played out a decade ago.

We are cardinal and gold and proud of it.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Yeah it's all a little perplexing. I like the monochrome all-black for what it is, but wish it was more mixable w/ C&G; it's not the best at that. It can be done but must use helmet stickers. For example black helmet stickers saying Cyclones, I-State, etc on Red helmet when wearing black jersey or pant. I've brought this up before. But we haven't yet seen any black jersey or pant combos w/ red or white helmet yet and may not. I think the Coaches see this limitation also.

That leaves us only w/ a cardinal or white pant option w/ the red jersey. And the c/c/w combo is not ideal. Not much else available really w/o gold option. Again perplexing. :confused:

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Does this return to the helmets this weekend?
Cyclone_FullClr.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron