New water heater...

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
We bought our home three years ago and unfortunately we are finding some of the upgrades the previous owners did while on the surface looked awesome are turning out to be crap. They installed a tankless water heater in 2017 but we had a repairman come out and he said there are several things wrong with it and it's a brand that went belly up in 2018 so the warranty is null etc.

We had to get a new one and we opted for a tankless one again but it's costing roughly ten grand which seems outrageously expensive to me even for a regular size tankless. My better half doesn't seem to think it's too much. Am I wrong? I looked into cost for this and I'm finding like $4000 on the HIGH end. Are we being duped?

GoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Wow, that seems high, but costs related to home repair have gotten crazy lately. Seems like a lot of items have doubled or tripled in cost in the last 5 years.

I would definitely recommend getting 2 more quotes, and comparing costs.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Ankency and nrg4isu

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think I spent $2000 on a 40 gallon tank a few years ago. Is a tankless worth that much?

• Agree
Reactions: cyphoon

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I built a new home a few years ago and we put in a tankless and I think it cost in the neighborhood of 4 grand, and it seems like everything with a new home is more expensive. We went with gas, which may be cheaper.

Reactions: dahliaclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think I spent $2000 on a 40 gallon tank a few years ago. Is a tankless worth that much?
When you've got 4 girls all taking a shower within an hour of each other plus one or two people who need to do laundry a 40 gallon won't keep up at all. In our previous home we were constantly running out of hot water and I think ours was 60 gallons. That's why we went with tankless and don't regret it at all.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Get an itemized quote. How much of that is the water heater and how much is the plumbing? Do they need to run a new gas line for example? Do they need to change the venting? These are things that will cause the cost to go up and may be what was referred to as being wrong on the previous installation.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Get an itemized quote. How much of that is the water heater and how much is the plumbing? Do they need to run a new gas line for example? Do they need to change the venting? These are things that will cause the cost to go up and may be what was referred to as being wrong on the previous installation.
yeah we did that and while things were bulleted out...none of each item were priced out which seemed off to me. it was just a list of what they would do and the products etc and then the total cost at the bottom

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Got a Rheem 40-gallon water heater last year and it was $2,600 installed. I've never had a tankless but $10k sounds insane to me, in just a few quick searches it looks like Rheem tankless are <$2k not including labor/installation.

bpmdu

Jun 28, 2006
While I get you're not looking for a 40g and it's not tankless - here's another data point - just had one installed 6 mos ago for slightly less than 2 grand all in (Cedar Rapids area).

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
We had a high-end tankless heater in one of our previous homes. It was already there when we bought the house and it failed, warranty took care of it. Plumber said it was $6500 new and that was 10 years ago.

The water heater itself was great. Could handle multiple showers at the same time with no effect on heat/pressure and the water could be as hot as you wanted. I actually had to turn it down.

It did require more maintenance than a tanked heater but I really liked it.

Reactions: CYdTracked

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
We bought our home three years ago and unfortunately we are finding some of the upgrades the previous owners did while on the surface looked awesome are turning out to be crap. They installed a tankless water heater in 2017 but we had a repairman come out and he said there are several things wrong with it and it's a brand that went belly up in 2018 so the warranty is null etc.

We had to get a new one and we opted for a tankless one again but it's costing roughly ten grand which seems outrageously expensive to me even for a regular size tankless. My better half doesn't seem to think it's too much. Am I wrong? I looked into cost for this and I'm finding like $4000 on the HIGH end. Are we being duped?

Tankless is still the way to go, but $10k is way too high. I could MAYBE see as high as $4k, but even that seems too high.

For reference, one of my two tankless ruptured (plastic regulator valve) during the severe freeze and power outages here in TX (I had the cold water side dripping to prevent freeze up but stupid me forgot to drip the hot side). So I had to order a new one to replace the one that ruptured (Rheem). The water heater itself was $2k-ish, but then had to add labor which was another $500.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

You are getting scammed. We bought a 80 gallon commercial water heater last year for less than that. We've got so much hot water that I like to just let it run out on the driveway just to prove that I can.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tankless is still the way to go, but $10k is way too high. I could MAYBE see as high as $4k, but even that seems too high.

For reference, one of my two tankless ruptured (plastic regulator valve) during the severe freeze and power outages here in TX (I had the cold water side dripping to prevent freeze up but stupid me forgot to drip the hot side). So I had to order a new one to replace the one that ruptured (Rheem). The water heater itself was $2k-ish, but then had to add labor which was another $500.
Tankless water heaters are for hippies.

Ankency

Oct 22, 2018

That seems WAY too high. Definitely get other quotes

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Who is quoting you 10 grand? That seems way too high. The 3000 to 4000 range for a good quality one sounds more realistic. Please don't tell me you had Golden Rule quote you as this sounds like something they are notorious for doing.

Service Legends would definitely fall into this camp as well. Generally most of the ones that can afford to advertise on TV, you're paying for that marketing.