New wrestling facility put on hold - Jamie Pollard statement

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
Jamie Pollard shared at tonight's media availability at the Cyclone Tailgate Tour that the new wrestling facility that was announced last summer is on hold indefinitely.

I tweeted his full statement he gave on the situation:

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
I understand it, but still sucks. Lots of things have changed within the last 8 months or so- but did they not forecast some of these changes before they announced it in the first place?!
Hard to forecast anything these days. Everyone's out to kill the competition and get richer (and the only ones getting richer are the ones who are already mega rich... that's america for ya). It's smart to hold off on these larger expenditures until we know where things stand, problem is that will take a few years...

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I understand it, but still sucks. Lots of things have changed within the last 8 months or so- but did they not forecast some of these changes before they announced it in the first place?!

Tough to forecast what the B1G and SEC are doing to everyone else in college athletics.

As CW, Woody, and Blum have all mentioned in the past week.... be careful what you wish for though. If the B1G and SEC piss off the fans... it will come back to haunt them all too. Greed will destroy everything in the end. Everyone needs one another.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Tough to forecast what the B1G and SEC are doing to everyone else in college athletics.

As CW, Woody, and Blum have all mentioned in the past week.... be careful what you wish for though. If the B1G and SEC piss off the fans... it will come back to haunt them all too. Greed will destroy everything in the end. Everyone needs one another.

This is what the big guys don’t get. They think they can just secede, and they’ll keep rolling on the never ending gravy train? Just who do they expect to play to pad their 10-win seasons every year?

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Not surprised after Jamie said all plans were on hold. This can get done if donors step up and pay for it. Pretty much where we are at with the uncertainty around athletics

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Not surprised after Jamie said all plans were on hold. This can get done if donors step up and pay for it. Pretty much where we are at with the uncertainty around athletics
Fans and boosters are already on the hook for increase donation and ticket prices. Now we need our limited rich donors to help buy NIL players. At some point all this falls down.
Going to have to ride out facilities to get players and pay our current debt while fuking teams like Purdue rake in money. But at the same time facilities also gets recruits

• Agree
  • Sad
Reactions: tzjung and BigCyFan

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Our wrestling team and coaches our awesome.

Feel bad for them......donate to their collective as well

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
It’s the right financial decision but it’s also a cop out to say “we’ll be fine without it” for the program. That is if your aspirations are to be a real contender.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
With all these lawsuits a lot of money to be paid out to past, current, & future players.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This is what the big guys don’t get. They think they can just secede, and they’ll keep rolling on the never ending gravy train? Just who do they expect to play to pad their 10-win seasons every year?
Unfortunately, the casual sports fan will only concentrate on what the big boys tell them is important. And they (along with plenty of ISU fans that like other sports) will pay for their bundled product to see the other stuff. Big XII and ACC getting cut out will not be enough for 98% if general sports fans to stop subscribing.

I wish it were true. I hope it's not true. But this nagging feeling of eventual forced inconsequencial-ness feels like it's hanging over the heads of non-BIG and SEC schools.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin and jdubs

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
And who will watch it? I will absolutely boycott their games to the end of my days if they leave the rest of us high and dry.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
And who will watch it? I will absolutely boycott their games to the end of my days if they leave the rest of us high and dry.
There's absolutely no way that this isn't something they've taken into consideration. Too much money riding on it to let something like projected viewership slip past their notice. If the Big 10/SEC move forward with the Big 2, it will be because they have solid data backing the decision. They're definitely not dumb. You don't drop a nuke on the college sports landscape without being very sure that you're going to come out the other side in as good or better of a position.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron