News out of other spring camps

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
Re: Iowa is cautiously optimistic...

Excellent, rational post, DodgerHawki. Consider yourself approved for future posting.

approved.gif

I feel honored to have the stamp of approval. Lots of ISU fans as friends, you all aren't such bad people :smile: I'm usually rational for the Iowa-ISU discussions, with the exception of Iowa-ISU week every September of course.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009

Wow, Dodgerhawki....might be the most rational Hawk poster on the board!

I think the biggest potential problem for the Hawks is that they are losing, arguably, their 3 best players in Greene, King, and Kroul. Two things could be true: they were helped by their teammates a lot more than it seemed, or they made their teammates a lot better and carried the team last year. If the former is true, I could see them approaching 8 or 9 wins (10 being absolute best case scenario) and if the latter is true, then it could be a very long year in IC.

King/Kroul/Greene are essentially irreplacable, if you go on a strictly talent comparison on who is replacing them. Great thing about college is that teams don't exist in a vaccuum. Yes, King/Kroul are gone from the D, but does the collective improvement by the 8 other returning starters make Iowa overall a better defense, or at least comparable to last year? For the Iowa fan, that's the hope. On offense, again, neither Hampton or Brinson will be as good as Greene was last year. No Iowa RB has ever been as good as Greene was last year. Could the offense overall be better? It's possible. The positive side says that Iowa returns 7 linemen with starting experience. That we lost our first-team all-conference tight end (Myers) but replace him with a guy (Moeaki) who was the starter before he got hurt. That we lost Brodell but return our leading receiver (DJK) as well as several others with experience and a 4-star freshman (Davis). The negative side says that Iowa can't run without Greene and Stanzi isn't up to the task of moving the team through the air. It will be fun to find out.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Footballscoop.com has CU's OC interviewing at Oregon. That would really suck losing your OC AFTER spring.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs

I feel honored to have the stamp of approval. Lots of ISU fans as friends, you all aren't such bad people :smile: I'm usually rational for the ISU-Iowa discussions, with the exception of ISU-Iowa week every September of course.

Fixed it for you, no problem. :wink:

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Sorry for being lazy, but has anyone scouted out other teams' spring game message board threads? Are Nebraska & Iowa talking national championship again?

Of course not, i'll be happy with just contending for the Big 12 North and build off of that.

Coming out of spring practice, as a Husker fan, I feel pretty good as to were the team is at. Zac Lee has locked down the quarterback spot. Depth might be an issue, but hopefully Cody Green will be able to redshirt and redshirt freshman Kody Spano will be at full speed or close to full speed come August following a late spring practice knee injury.

Helu and Castille appear to be the #1 and #2 RB respectively and I feel good about the defense going into the fall with most of the back 7 returinging and Suh anchoring the D-Line.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
You may be right.................I thought they actually had a few athletes, but honestly I didn't watch them quite as closely as others. I do think Prince signed some solid kids and Snyder is a wily cat. They'll run more and I'll be surprised if they don't have a decent O. But I do think you are right, their D in fact may have been worse than ISU’s and probably was.

Chad

I don't know if their defense is worse, but it's pretty bad. I would say on paper, both defenses suck, and ISU's offense is a long ways ahead of KSU's with experience at the major skill positions.

bohonkNU

Apr 28, 2009
i had a friend text me from NUs spring game and his exact words were "we are back. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BABY!" my exact response was "eat ****" no caps or exclamation points, just a simple reply

I was at the NU spring game, and your friend is delusional.

In order to make it to the NC scene, you must make it through the Conf schedule undefeated (or possibly with just one loss.) There are not many NU fans that beleive this is possible for the upcoming year. You can't get pummeled by OU and Mzzou like we did last year and expect to be in the hunt.

And this Husker fan hope you guys beat the sh-t out of the Hawks