Nik Stauskus

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
Man I really wish Fred could have gotten him to commit here, with the talent that he already has and Fred's tutelage he could have been a extra special player. Not that he isn't already, just think of the mismatches that Fred could have taken advantage of! Anyone know if we were close to getting him? His rivals pages shows we were on his final 5, just curious.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Yep. IIRC, the initial CF reaction to offering him was similar to offering Georges. Also, Cleanthony Early is another what-if recruit.

Of course, what if Georges was not hurt?

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
Yep. IIRC, the initial CF reaction to offering him was similar to offering Georges. Also, Cleanthony Early is another what-if recruit.

Of course, what if Georges was not hurt?

kid was a 4star recruit natural to respond like that I guess. Although he may not have been when we offered

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Sure would have softened the blow of Niang being hurt - and this is in no way a knock on Naz. Naz was clutch this year, but Stauskus has a better all-around game. His drive and dunk against us in November was one of the more impressive moves by an opposing player this year.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I wouldn't have changed this lineup at all (well, maybe if we could have gotten a big man to come in for Georges when he needed a breather). This team had outstanding chemistry, without an unfortunate injury, I think a possible Final 4 team.
Sometimes when you dream of addition, its actually subtraction.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Sure would have softened the blow of Niang being hurt - and this is in no way a knock on Naz. Naz was clutch this year, but Stauskus has a better all-around game. His drive and dunk against us in November was one of the more impressive moves by an opposing player this year.

If Stauskas had come here Niang would never have been in the game at that point. We would have been a 1 seed and been up 35 by halftime.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Hard to say Stauskas would have done more under Fred, given how much he's improved in his 2 years at Mich.

IMO, his choices were the top two offensive minds in the game. He really couldn't go wrong.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I would guess Naz probably wouldn't have been here if Stauskas came here. He or SDW. I don't remember the timeline but I thought Naz was last.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
IMO, his choices were the top two offensive minds in the game. He really couldn't go wrong.
Agree.

Last year as well while watching these games, I felt we were so close. Just one recruit like Stauskas or Early decides to come here and we were elite imo. Now, I wonder more about whether we were already there. Georges (or Babb) does not get hurt, and we make the FF. Frustrating to look back on the last three NCAA tournaments the bad luck we had.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Agree.

Last year as well while watching these games, I felt we were so close. Just one recruit like Stauskas or Early decides to come here and we were elite imo. Now, I wonder more about whether we were already there. Georges (or Babb) does not get hurt, and we make the FF. Frustrating to look back on the last three NCAA tournaments the bad luck we had.

Iowa State is there, putting championship quality teams on the court. Every now and again there is a dominant team that just runs through the tourney. (UK 2012) Otherwise it comes down to getting a few bounces here and a hot hand there. This years team had what it takes to win it all. It just wasn't in the cards.