Nostalgia for the 90's and 00's

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
I was an Alpine guy but this was so ******* rad. Pumping into some swapped out Alpine speakers.

x130DEHP640-f.jpeg
I still have this deck in my old truck. The slightly older/newer version (forget which) where all the buttons are on the one bottom row vs in the central part. You had the racing, the dolphin swimming, and a couple others. And a real useful remote so I could jump around like an idiot trying to switch songs from the tennis court instead of walking 5 steps outside the court.

Reactions: AgronAlum

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
But did you remember to take the faceplate off the stereo when you left your car?

One time around 2005 I did get my car broken into and stereo pulled out and I'm assuming it's because I left the face on it. In 2003 I had a break in where I did take the face with me and they didn't pry out the whole unit so I guess it did work if you took it with you every time.

It's crazy how long it took auto makers to put the CD player in standard on low and mid level models. The past decade all the cheapest cars have them even though nobody uses CDs anymore.

I remember when I replaced it after the theft I was so happy to get a new version that had an input jack so I could plug my ipod in easily rather than using that ridiculous little radio broadcast thing.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ever play NASCAR 98? Flirtin with Disaster by Molly Hatchet was the only song on the soundtrack and played the entirety of every race.

I didn't play it heavily...but somehow I still know that song and know that it played all game long. I think either a friend had it or demo disc or maybe even at a kiosk when I worked at Toys R Us.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
anybody who likes this thread will love these two podcasts.

They're both Canadian and both great (most of it is identical to USA but I have learned a lot about Canada LOL). The 90s one is from a former news reporter (she was at OJ trial) so it focuses a little more on world events of the day. The 80s one is from an 80s kid and more focused on toys/music/movies/video games but also has some great episodes about world events.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Ever play NASCAR 98? Flirtin with Disaster by Molly Hatchet was the only song on the soundtrack and played the entirety of every race.
My friend and I exclusively played that game by selecting Daytona and driving backwards with the goal of wrecking Dale Earnhardt, who seemed indestructible relative to all other drivers in game.

This unofficial game mode did not age well.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Think I had a Kenwood. But this Pioneer was definitely a mainstay in friend’s cars.

I had like 10-15 different cars by the time I was in my early 20's. I always had different variations of this guy other than the Wranglers. I ran marine/boat head units because I was sick of them crapping out when I got rain inside leaving the top off.

x500cda9856-f_DC.jpeg

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
7th grade for me. We got to play it on computers in the library... er, media center, it was the early 80s so they were no longer libraries, they were media centers.

I was super into graphics/drawing on computers as early as 8th grade (it did end up being my career and major at ISU) and I was OBSESSED with Macs for that reason in the 90s.

In my '97 high school Econ class we "pretend" bought a stock and tracked it all semester and mine was old AAPL stock at the exact moment Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy and the company was virtually worthless, about a year before Jobs came back. Microsoft was propping it up to avoid having a monopoly. I think so many times if even I had put even 20 bucks of real money on that I could have had about 200 shares of '97 Apple stock.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was an Alpine guy but this was so ******* rad. Pumping into some swapped out Alpine speakers.

x130DEHP640-f.jpeg

It only comes together when you go big and install your own Pioneer 6×9s including cutting out the top of your trunk/back shelf for that bass.

Rural Iowa was teeming with subwoofers in everyone's Sable or similar car. I never took that step.

Reactions: 0u812 and do4CY

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Those sonsabitches got rid of Zima and party balls.

Not sure why Coors hates America and fun, but they obviously do.

Zima rocked. Please respect my opinion.
I generally respect your opinion but your opinion about Zima is just wrong. Zima should probably have been served in juice boxes.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
This is probably more 80s/early 90s. I remember playing computer games in the school computer lab. Oregon Trail, Carmen San Diego, I also remember a Pong like game on the Apple computers? Plus, I remember playing a game at the public library. You needed your own floppy disk. We didn’t own a computer at home. Wolfenstein. You killed nazis. I don’t know how I got a copy of it but I’d “check” out one of the maybe 3 computers at my small town library and play that game.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Does anyone remember what that name of that game was (on those old Apple II's I think) where you were a slave and had to escape the south? I played like crazy in elementary school.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Napster downloads came along almost immediately after Netscape Navigator made it possible, Red Dog and other ice beers, CDs still came in the long boxes, everyone on campus was wearing a leather bomber jacket and wanted the long sleeve ISU knit polo shirts that the guys who gave the campus tours were wearing.

But most of all, the 90's were tied to the emergency of grunge and alternative music, and the resurgence of country music radio.
I'm not a huge country music fan but a lot of the country music of the late 80's to 90's was really good.