Nostalgia for the 90's and 00's

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
when-pizza-hut-gave-away-basketballs-with-pizza-purchase-in-v0-904xyl2034l81.jpg

Reactions: cyclones500

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I was an adult and past toys in the '90s -'00s; I think of the decades in football terms. In the '90s, we had three split titles ('90, '91 and '97) not to mention ('94) with two undefeated major teams. All of that led to the BCS in 1998.

Iowa State had Walden ('90-'94) and Mac ('95-'99) in the '90s with the lows of the 0-10-1 '94 season, and the relative high of the two Troy Davis years in '95 and '96 = which were fun games without many Wins.

The '00s started off okay in the BCS Era with Oklahoma (Big XII), Miami (Fla.) (Big East), Ohio State (B1G), LSU (SEC), USC (Pac-10) and Texas (Big Xii) spreading around the BCS Championship love before the SEC took over for the rest of the decade ('06-'09).

ISU had three straight Bowl Games under Mac from 2000-1-2 + 2 more in '04 and '05 before ending with the Chiz disaster and the what we thought was a promising start to the Paul Rhodes Era.

So, that's how I remember those two decades! :)

1713637674666.png

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
N64 - Specifically staying up late playing Mario Kart, Smash Bros, or Mario Party at a friends house
Gameboy - Specifically Pokémon. Spent so much time on that game. Red and Blue.
I know this went past the 90s too but feel like growing up going to the movies used to be so exciting. I still enjoy it when I do go but it just isn't the same.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Graduated from high school in 2008. I was non-existent on the internet prior to that.

I still use a flip phone in 2024. **** smart phones.

Not having responsibilities. Now I have to pay taxes.

Columbine and 9/11 ruined everything

These jackets were great:
s-l1600.jpg
Things that happened when you were 10 and 8 ruined everything?

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Preface - This is from when I lived in Ogden (I think roughly age 8-18) so 1990-2000ish. I met and started dating my wife in 1998 (age 16), got married in 2004, and have been together ever since.
  • Pizza Hut in Boone - good environment and back then the pizza was consistently cooked (all the way, actually raised bread, etc).
  • Golden Corral in Boone - had a big variety and food was decent.
  • Starter Jackets - Had Eagles, Packers, and of course Iowa State.
  • Eastbay Magazine - I read it religiously even though I never played a single sport more than a year.
  • Scotcheroos at the Ogden grocery store - legit best I've ever had.
  • Ames Mall - spent tons of time there, the video/pc game store was good, went through a Buckle stage, went to probably a hundred movies between the two theatres.
  • Riding bike and then moped thousands of miles every summer.
  • Swimming pool at High School in Ogden.
  • Once I had a car at 15, driving 120mph on the backgroads between my girlfriend's house in Boone and our's in Ogden because I was late getting home late at night.
  • The OG "Modern Marvels" on History Channel (How It's Made is still on after 24 years and still great).
  • TLC actually being about science instead of the crap reality and romance shows it's been for the past 15 years.
  • ZDTV/TechTV with Leo Laporte and others.
  • Movies 12 in Ames - my wife (then girlfriend) and I went to probably 3 movies a week every week from 1998 to 2004.
They’ve started replaying OG modern Marvels again from time to time. Quality level on a new TV is pretty bad though

Reactions: Jer

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
I get some people under 40 are "old souls", but don't go full boomer.
I mean guys got a point when it comes to flip phones for some reasons.

I had a Razor. Drop it on the ground over and over hard enough to snap the back and battery out of it? No problem! Oh, jump in the lake drunk with your phone! No worries, leave it on the hot summer dashboard to dry out!

That phone was #1 for taking a beating.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Very eloquently stated but I'm going to slightly dispute your point. Zima was like the long reliever. You're down early and don't have anywhere else to turn so you bring in Zima to give you a few innings. Hopefully, the team rallies and you can bring in a stud later in the game (Somebody shows up with real beer. Not that Bud Light is real beer but you get my drift).

Having one bottle of Zima around is a cool thing. Terrific conversation piece.
I honestly don't think I ever saw a man drink it. Women loved it, but I never touched it.

The 2 liter bottles of sun country wine coolers. They looked like you just had a two liter bottle of 7 up and you could cruise around with a bottle of it.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I got hired at Pizza Hut because of the anticipation of increased sales due to the Bigfoot pizza

When I was in little league we were pretty bad. The next year, after winning one game, my dad said he would buy our team a Bigfoot pizza for each win we had. We went 7-3 so a good time was had by all at the end of the season.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
When I was in little league we were pretty bad. The next year, after winning one game, my dad said he would buy our team a Bigfoot pizza for each win we had. We went 7-3 so a good time was had by all at the end of the season.
and then they made a movie about it . . . . .

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The 90s were just an objectively great decade. And not because of all the great things of my childhood (advent of N64/Playstation, starter jackets, best cartoons, malls, etc.)

Pre-9/11, pre-COVID, minimal global conflict (at least for the U.S.), economy was strong, etc.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Napster downloads came along almost immediately after Netscape Navigator made it possible, Red Dog and other ice beers, CDs still came in the long boxes, everyone on campus was wearing a leather bomber jacket and wanted the long sleeve ISU knit polo shirts that the guys who gave the campus tours were wearing.

But most of all, the 90's were tied to the emergency of grunge and alternative music, and the resurgence of country music radio.
Younger people have no idea what a revolution Napster was. It used to be if you liked a song, you had to buy a whole cd and it didn’t matter if there was one good song and 11 bad ones. I went crazy when file sharing came out and had around 3k songs. We had all of our computers in our college house connected by LAN with a laptop plugged into our stereo. All of the roommates songs available to blast at any time. A home made jukebox. It was almost unheard of back then.