Not sold on up coming season(especially)oline again

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006
Oh yee of little faith. Would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

I have a feeling that Jalen Travis will start at LT and make a huge difference. The o-line will be the best we have had in the Campbell era and the offense will do great. We win 8 or 9 games this year.
Laughing at the first paragraph. Pretty much agree on the second.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I mean, they SHOULD be better. Return all 5 starters, add 2 the should contend to start from the portal, get Hasert back from injury plus RSFR available to play. Not to mention 2nd year of the new OL coach and 2nd year of the new S&C staff. If they aren't at least above average this year, I don't know if it's possible here.

I still contend that scheme plays a bigger part than OL talent or technique. When you play with a fullback, it's pretty easy to see where the ball is going and when you're going to run it. I love Stevo Klotz and the guys who played the position before him. But, it isn't a surprise (to me) that our best OL play of the Campbell era was when Soehner was playing F. He was a legit threat in the passing game, could seal the edge AND lead block. Even though we had no deep threats, the offense wasn't predictable because Soehner was versatile enough to catch a pass or attach to the line and seal the DE. Seems like now, if Klotz is in, you know we are running and all you have to do is fly to wherever he is and you're likely going to get a TFL. Pretty tough for an OL to succeed when the defense knows exactly what you are going to do.

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
I mean, they SHOULD be better. Return all 5 starters, add 2 the should contend to start from the portal, get Hasert back from injury plus RSFR available to play. Not to mention 2nd year of the new OL coach and 2nd year of the new S&C staff. If they aren't at least above average this year, I don't know if it's possible here.

I still contend that scheme plays a bigger part than OL talent or technique. When you play with a fullback, it's pretty easy to see where the ball is going and when you're going to run it. I love Stevo Klotz and the guys who played the position before him. But, it isn't a surprise (to me) that our best OL play of the Campbell era was when Soehner was playing F. He was a legit threat in the passing game, could seal the edge AND lead block. Even though we had no deep threats, the offense wasn't predictable because Soehner was versatile enough to catch a pass or attach to the line and seal the DE. Seems like now, if Klotz is in, you know we are running and all you have to do is fly to wherever he is and you're likely going to get a TFL. Pretty tough for an OL to succeed when the defense knows exactly what you are going to do.
Great analysis. Good deal

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013

Klutz had a fee tds and some pretty big first downs over the course of the year. Maybe bc it was a surprise when he did release for a pass. But I understand what you're saying

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I like how some things set up but OL has constantly been an issue and a new OC. Bowl for sure is where I'm at but is it 6-6 or 8-4?