Not sold on up coming season(especially)oline again

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Who really has a dominate line anyway? Iowa used to have dominate lines, but now they are often blamed for their failures. I would say most fan bases are critical of the offensive line.

The line was improved last year, but we were wildly inconsistent. We return everyone and add several new guys that will compete for starting spots. We will be better this year, it is just how much better.

I also contend that we have the skill players and the defense to compete with anyone this year.

I'm actually very impressed by how quickly CMC has recovered from the 4 win season and the gambling fiasco. It is pretty cool thinking we may contend for the Big 12 this year after that **** all happened. Our program has never been better. If you don't believe me look back at the history of our records before Matt.

I was going to say the same thing - every fanbase in the country (except maybe Bama/Georgia) complain about their O-line. And while I agree that ours has been bad to below-average historically, I struggle to see how/why that is guaranteed to continue.

We have better dudes in the 2 deeps. We have (IMO) a better line coach in just his 2nd season. We have a new O-coordinator. We averaged over 4 yards a carry last year & only gave up 14 sacks in 13 games - not sure how that ranks in conference/country, but it's not this black hole of terrible that you guys make it out to be - and there can still be hope/reasonable expectation for improvement.

Regarding the Iowa game, have a little faith folks.

We won the last time we played in Iowa City and the early point spread has us as a 2.5 point dog which means they see our two teams as dead even since the home field advantage equates to 3 points.

Not guaranteeing a win, but I'd say it's a toss up game.

Agree - not sure how you can just chalk it up as a loss when we won the last time we played there. Why doesn't that hold more weight than the 4 years prior? Their offense is at the bottom of the country, and they no longer have the best punter in the nation.

It would really suck to be a fan with that much pessimism, year in & year out. Sure, 6-8 wins is most likely, but if you go into every season with zero hope to beat Iowa and zero hope to win 10 games, that's kinda sad. Guess it's mostly those peoples' way of guarding themselves against disappointment, still sad.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
it is always the offensive line's fault. Doesn't matter if the back hit the wrong hole or if the play call ran right into the meat of the defense. If the play does not work it is because of the line didn't get enough push.
Or because the run game is vanilla and predictable. It'd be nice to see some variety and misdirection. Try some pitches, bootlegs, wide receiver jet sweeps. Hell- I'd like to see the option on occasion.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This program is almost comically predictable, but still a lot of fun. This is about entertainment. I don't know how any ISU fan isn't entertained with the product we had last year and the product coming back.

Are they going to reach the mountain top? **** no. That's not why we're here. If you're here for that, you're in the wrong place man.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
This program is almost comically predictable, but still a lot of fun. This is about entertainment. I don't know how any ISU fan isn't entertained with the product we had last year and the product coming back.

Are they going to reach the mountain top? **** no. That's not why we're here. If you're here for that, you're in the wrong place man.

I agree with 100% of what you're saying. If you go into the season with that kind of attitude, it can be a really fun season.

That being said, there's a small but loud contingent that have a major issue with "accepting mediocrity."

Reactions: aauummm

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Bob is being a Debby Downer!! Geesh. Bob is negative. Bob probably sits at home at watches games. Bob is not fun at parties. Bob thinks he should be a color commentator. Bob is not nice. Boo Bob!!

1715177827903.jpeg

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Maybe I’m in the minority but losing to two G6 schools doesn’t entertain me.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Yeah, I don't know why the 2nd part has to be true. We went to the Fiesta bowl just a few years ago - sure, that was the Covid season, but this season is unlike any in past 10+ years, either.

Practically a new conference, with quite possibly the easiest schedule since when? Expanded playoff for the first time. Return vast majority of starters from an above average team. Have solid coaches in place across the board & some of the best overall 2-deep talent in a long time.

I'm not predicting an undefeated season, or even 10 wins, but I don't get the mindset that it's impossible. Look at a team like TCU - going back to 2018 they won 7 games, 5 games, 6 games, 5 games, then bam - 13-2 in the national championship.

I'll be happy with an 8 win season (obvs depending on how that happens), but what's the fun in not hoping for 10+? Obviously everyone wants our guys to win every game - but if you are guaranteeing we can't reach the 'mountain top', do you just stop cheering after xx number of wins? Winning the conference championship & getting to the playoff would be the top of the ISU mountain, are you just not watching if we get there since you're saying it's impossible?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone and Proton

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Any rational Iowa State fan should know to have zero expectations at this point.
Agree. Usually when we are supposed to be good we suck and when we are supposed to suck we do ok. I am 50 and have zero expectations of Iowa State football. I usually just assume we will win 6 or 7 games. Some years I expect to win 3 or 4 like I thought last season.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, I don't know why the 2nd part has to be true. We went to the Fiesta bowl just a few years ago - sure, that was the Covid season, but this season is unlike any in past 10+ years, either.

Practically a new conference, with quite possibly the easiest schedule since when? Expanded playoff for the first time. Return vast majority of starters from an above average team. Have solid coaches in place across the board & some of the best overall 2-deep talent in a long time.

I'm not predicting an undefeated season, or even 10 wins, but I don't get the mindset that it's impossible. Look at a team like TCU - going back to 2018 they won 7 games, 5 games, 6 games, 5 games, then bam - 13-2 in the national championship.

I'll be happy with an 8 win season (obvs depending on how that happens), but what's the fun in not hoping for 10+? Obviously everyone wants our guys to win every game - but if you are guaranteeing we can't reach the 'mountain top', do you just stop cheering after xx number of wins? Winning the conference championship & getting to the playoff would be the top of the ISU mountain top, are you just not watching if we get there since you're saying it's impossible?
It doesn’t have to be true, but I think after 9 years we know who Campbell is and who his teams are. I just don’t think they have it in them to win high pressure games.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP and CyGuy5

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

I'll be happy with an 8 win season (obvs depending on how that happens), but what's the fun in not hoping for 10+? Obviously everyone wants our guys to win every game - but if you are guaranteeing we can't reach the 'mountain top', do you just stop cheering after xx number of wins? Winning the conference championship & getting to the playoff would be the top of the ISU mountain top, are you just not watching if we get there since you're saying it's impossible?
I agree. We are not Georgia or Alabama, so we aren't going to just dominate the competition each and every week. But I think our program is equal to or better than TCU. There is no team on our schedule that we should fear anymore. We will need some breaks to have a great season, just like TCU did, but I think we have a good enough team that we at least have a shot. As a life long fan of Iowa State it is easy to look at the schedule and automatically assume we will stub our toe. I actually think the schedule sets up pretty well. The key will be to win the games were are supposed to and continue to get better as the season progresses and be ready for Utah and K State to finish the year.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I played high school football, but I played running back and linebacker. My son, however, played offensive line in High School. Until watching my son, I never realized how difficult it is to play on the offensive line. No other position requires you win a physical matchup with an opponent every single play. No mistakes. No excuses about how big the other dude is. And, ideally, we want you to put that opponent on his back. It really is pretty crazy. The other thing I learned as a parent of a lineman is that it is always the offensive line's fault. Doesn't matter if the back hit the wrong hole or if the play call ran right into the meat of the defense. If the play does not work it is because of the line didn't get enough push.

I believe the key is for the line to be able to work well together. It is difficult to physically dominate Big 12 lineman one on one, but we need can create holes with effective combination blocks, traps and pulls. We also need our backs to show they are a year older now. For two years it has been obvious we had backs that were still learning. I think this also led to inconsistency in the run game. I too am excited to see if Mouser can exploit weaknesses in the defense and/or give Rocco the ability to change plays based on the defense. Finally, we also need to see that violence that our offensive line coach keeps talking about.
I just want to see our O-line not completely whiff on blocks or forget to block guys. I don't mind when an o-lineman gets beat, but having defenders regularly coming unblocked drives me nuts.