Observations: Toledo comparison at this point in year 1 season.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Maybe I want this to be true, but I feel like I'm watching Toledo's first season when Campbell and Beckman first arrived at Toledo. I saw steady improvement and games where Toledo lost with big scores due to a weak defense. As the next two years progressed I saw a steady flow of recruits who were major upgrades at every position. Now , I realize that Toledo was in much better shape at the beginning, but I'm really encouraged by the line play and the fight I see. Add in the next two years of recruits and all the experience the young pups are getting and I see a good future.

Now, there will be a setback or two along the way, but someday soon this group will win one that everyone says they shouldn't and the expectations will change in the minds of the players.

I realize that some will say I'm a CMC paid publicist, but not true. Just a long time coach who really believes in his heart that CMC, the staff, and the players will GET ER DONE!

By the way, I am truly amazed at the fan base. You all are some of the finest sports fans I have ever observed or communicated with concerning a program.

OK, enough *** kissing for one post!:p

Last edited by a moderator:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Does anybody else feel like tolfbfan is our emotional guide through this transition process?

I feel like I am the emotional guide due to my expert knowledge and past experience w/ CMC. Just kidding, but thanks. I will say I REALLY due believe in the process because seeing is believing and also my sons perception/feelings for CMC and this staff.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Maybe I want this to be true, but I feel like I'm watching Toledo's first season when Campbell and Beckman first arrived at Toledo. I saw steady improvement and games where Toledo lost with big scores due to a weak defense. As the next two years progressed I saw a steady flow of recruits who were major upgrades at every position. Now , I realize that Toledo was in much better shape at the beginning, but I'm really encouraged by the line play and the fight I see. Add in the next two years of recruits and all the experience the young pups are getting and I see a good future.

Now, there will be a setback or two along the way, but someday soon this group will win one that everyone says they shouldn't and the expectations will change in the minds of the players.

I realize that some will say I'm a CMC paid publicist, but not true. Just a long time coach who really believes in his heart that CMC, the staff, and the players will GET ER DONE!

By the way, I am truly amazed at the fan base. You all are some of the finest sports fans I have ever observed or communicated with concerning a program.

OK, enough *** kissing for one post!:p

Thanks Mrs. Campbell! I needed the pep talk tonight. I have the sads

Last edited by a moderator:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Not that I feel this way, but what's the excuse for Beckman's performance at Illinois?

No excuse, believe it or not, I thought he wouldn't survive there. I may remember wrong, but I only think about two of his Toledo staff followed him to Illinois. The rest stayed with Campbell at Toledo. Now, all of the holdovers are now at ISU w/ CMC except Candle who would be if not given Head coach position at Toledo. I let you determine what I'm suggesting.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I agree (somewhat) with the OP.

So far this team looks very different from what we have seen in the past few years. They had a basic scheme (not tricks, just a good, solid plan) that could have won this game. They have players that are improving. We just scored 42 points against a top-15 team. We didn't have 20 three-and-outs. We didn't throw 25 WR-screens, and 25 zone-read runs that netted a combined total of 67 yards and 3 points.

We look like a football team that belongs on the f'ing field. With a few more good recruits, we WILL belong on the field and start bowling again.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Campbell was the man behind reins at Toledo.:D
Wow, you said in one sentence that took me about six sentences. Also, hypothetically, if players would of had option to transfer to Illinois I don't believe many would of went. Just my opinion from being around my son and his fellow teammates.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I was a huge Paul Rhoads fan, but just based upon what the two coaches have/had, how they're recruiting, how the team is progressing...even though Rhoads went 7-6 in year one and Campbell most likely will finish in the 2-4 win range in his first season...I have 100% confidence Matt Campbell is the right guy long term at Iowa State.

I am really excited to see "the process" continue. This guy has the brains, the excitement, the ability to recruit, and the type of young, energetic and positive coaching staff it takes to win at ISU. BU was 17 point favorite on the road in JTS and we had them almost the entire game. ISU fans and the fb program will take a few more lumps and heartbreaks before it happens, but ISU is gonna start overcoming the little things that kept them from closing the deal and will reap the benefits of this program and staff's hard work.

Keep improving ISU players and coaches! Loved watching the improvement today and another step in the right direction of the rebuilding process.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I am excited for the future. I like our coaches. It is easy to nitpick little things, but I really like the direction the program is headed.

• Agree

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
I was a huge Paul Rhoads fan, but just based upon what the two coaches have/had, how they're recruiting, how the team is progressing...even though Rhoads went 7-6 in year one and Campbell most likely will finish in the 2-4 win range in his first season...I have 100% confidence Matt Campbell is the right guy long term at Iowa State.

I am really excited to see "the process" continue. This guy has the brains, the excitement, the ability to recruit, and the type of young, energetic and positive coaching staff it takes to win at ISU. BU was 17 point favorite on the road in JTS and we had them almost the entire game. ISU fans and the fb program will take a few more lumps and heartbreaks before it happens, but ISU is gonna start overcoming the little things that kept them from closing the deal and will reap the benefits of this program and staff's hard work.

Keep improving ISU players and coaches! Loved watching the improvement today and another step in the right direction of the rebuilding process.

Agreed, I was a big Rhoads fan, but in the end it was time to move in a different direction. I'm just hoping "long term" for Campbell is more than 3-4 years. If he does a decent job of righting the ISU ship, there will be bigger programs calling.

• Agree

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
If he does a decent job of righting the ISU ship, there will be bigger programs calling.

If that happens, then so be it. But, maybe he stays and wins at Iowa State and becomes our Synder. Either way it means Wins and that would make me happy. :)

• Agree
Reactions: kkise

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The level of play we saw today was that of a top 15 team. I won't lie, I started seeing images of Campbell being offered bigger and better jobs when the reality of winning this game and many others hit me. Either way I'll always hope for success at it's highest level for our guys, regardless of what happens with Campbell in that hypothetical.