*** Official #13 IOWA STATE vs #17 Texas Game(Day) Thread ***

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone discussed if you think the coaching staff had any thoughts of taking the offsides penalty against UT on Breece's TD run?

I doubt there was any real thought of it because I don't think you can take points off the board there, but it crossed my mind immediately. We would have had 1st and goal from the 1 yd line with 1:25 left and could have forced UT to burn their 2 timeouts and taken a little time off too..... but obviously would have been VERY risky because you never know if you can score or not?

I definitely think you HAVE to take the points though. It was just an interesting scenario.

Texas definitely let Hall score there though IMO.... which is the correct call in that situation.
no effen way. Fireable offense.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone discussed if you think the coaching staff had any thoughts of taking the offsides penalty against UT on Breece's TD run?

I doubt there was any real thought of it because I don't think you can take points off the board there, but it crossed my mind immediately. We would have had 1st and goal from the 1 yd line with 1:25 left and could have forced UT to burn their 2 timeouts and taken a little time off too..... but obviously would have been VERY risky because you never know if you can score or not?

I definitely think you HAVE to take the points though. It was just an interesting scenario.

Texas definitely let Hall score there though IMO.... which is the correct call in that situation.

No. You don't take the go-ahead points off the board once you have them.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I read somewhere that Texas did not let him score intentionally on that play but if ISU hadn't scored but got the first down (it was 2nd and 1 at the 3) then they would let ISU score on the next play to conserve clock.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: aauummm and Aclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I read somewhere that Texas did not let him score intentionally on that play but if ISU hadn't scored but got the first down (it was 2nd and 1 at the 3) then they would let ISU score on the next play to conserve clock.

Yes, that is what Herman did say after the game. And that is the correct call by him IMO.

It sure looked like they let Breece score on the play though.... many of their players weren't even trying.... but that's pretty normal for them.

It was definitely the correct decision for CMC to take those points..... it was just an interesting situation.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Agree that they didn't let him score because Herman said they didn't after the game.... it just looked like they let him score. But IMO, I think the correct decision is to let him score though. Not sure what the "analytics" would show?

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
You don't need to take points off board. QB under center takes knee for 1/2 yard loss and loss of down. Force TO. Score on next play.
Did you see the Oregon @ Oregon State game? It took the Beavers three tries from the six inch line to score the winning TD. I say score when you can and give yourself as many chances as possible. Iowa State would have been stupid to take a knee, lose a down and try to score on next play, because it's not always so easy to get in from the one or two yard line. Glad they scored when they did! :)

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Texas OF looked very good on the last series. Backed up with holding call to the ~10 yd line. Moved 50 yds in a buck, 25. Seems our D cannot hold teams when game is on the line. If the FG was good, would we have said we could we hav done better?

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
Texas OF looked very good on the last series. Backed up with holding call to the ~10 yd line. Moved 50 yds in a buck, 25. Seems our D cannot hold teams when game is on the line. If the FG was good, would we have said we could we hav done better?

Well, the holding throughout the game is part of the reason why our defense didn't look better and had trouble stopping them at times, including on that last drive.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m really freakin glad that thing didn’t go to OT. I seriously may not have been able to watch. But that would of been a fun chess match to watch between Mensa and Heacock/Manning.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
You don't need to take points off board. QB under center takes knee for 1/2 yard loss and loss of down. Force TO. Score on next play.
You talk like a guy that didn’t watch us struggle in the red zone all game long and didn’t watch us get blown up on a 3rd and 1 earlier in the game. You don’t take points off the board in that situation.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
You talk like a guy that didn’t watch us struggle in the red zone all game long and didn’t watch us get blown up on a 3rd and 1 earlier in the game. You don’t take points off the board in that situation.
I agree wholeheartedly. Immediate and obvious concern was that we left too much time on the clock.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He’s insane. If you can get points in that game with those stakes, you do.

Reactions: DarkStar and Cydkar