***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Curious if there’s going to be any movement regarding Mastroboni. Dude is absolutely useless on our bench. If we have no interest in him being the future at 1B, maybe bring up Mervis.

My guess is he’s going to be sent to Iowa tonight and Wisdom will come up to Chicago since he’s been getting some OF time in Iowa.
Mastrobuoni and Wisdom both have no business being on a 40 man roster of a team with playoff hopes. Mastrobuoni at least is 28 vs Wisdom at 32 so has more upside being 4 years younger.

Glad to see Wesneski have a good outing. He has a nasty slider and I still have hope he can figure out how to pitch to lefties and be a solid middle rotation guy.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Mastrobuoni and Wisdom both have no business being on a 40 man roster of a team with playoff hopes. Mastrobuoni at least is 28 vs Wisdom at 32 so has more upside being 4 years younger.

Glad to see Wesneski have a good outing. He has a nasty slider and I still have hope he can figure out how to pitch to lefties and be a solid middle rotation guy.
Wisdom has elite power and crushes lefties. He's worthy of a roster spot though they may end up going with Cooper long-term instead.

Only have 5 bench spots which includes DH. When everyone is healthy you're looking at.
Amaya
Tauchman
Madrigal
Canario ( my preference) or masterbuoni
Cooper or Wisdom
This gets even shorter when Shaw is ready ( unless they trade Hoerner)

Guessing Shaw will be a September call up. Hoerner probably sees DH more than normal to give Shaw some innings at 2B.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wisdom has elite power and crushes lefties. He's worthy of a roster spot though they may end up going with Cooper long-term instead.

Only have 5 bench spots which includes DH. When everyone is healthy you're looking at.
Amaya
Tauchman
Madrigal
Cooper or Wisdom

Guessing Shaw will be a September call up. Hoerner probably sees DH more than normal to give Shaw some innings at 2B.
Wisdom strikes out a ton and not good defensively either is why I loathe him. He gets hot once or twice a year and hits some homers in a 2 week stretch then sucks for most of the season otherwise.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Wisdom strikes out a ton and not good defensively either is why I loathe him. He gets hot once or twice a year and hits some homers in a 2 week stretch then sucks for most of the season otherwise.
He's torching AAA currently. He's not an everyday player but currently he's a decent stopgap until the prospects are ready. I'm glad we have him and Cooper to give us options. All bench players have some type of deficiency that's the reason they aren't starters.

Current OPS 1.417. Seems pretty good.

Reactions: RivClone23

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Wesneski reviews his day yesterday. For him to eat up that many innings yesterday was big.

Not even just eat but pitching four innings of no runs, no walks, and only giving up one hit was exactly what the team needed yesterday. Especially with Taillon going today for his first MLB outing of the year and probably will be on a pitch count. Awesome performance and hopefully a building block for him

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not even just eat but pitching four innings of no runs, no walks, and only giving up one hit was exactly what the team needed yesterday. Especially with Taillon going today for his first MLB outing of the year and probably will be on a pitch count. Awesome performance and hopefully a building block for him
I'm glad Little was sent down. He's been nearly perfect for us since call up last year. Had a couple bad outings now he can work out any issues. Seemed to be overthrowing. Pulling pitches across his body and what was in the zone didn't move much.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I think Wisdom has a spot in certain situations. For example, I would like to see him DHing tonight against AJ Puk. I thought Ross did a **** job putting Wisdom in the best situations to be successful.

Mastroboni does not have a role other than being an automatic out. He’s the 3rd string 2B, 3B, RF, and LF. We got him because he couldn’t cut it on the Rays 40 man. At best, he’s the guy you call up when Swanson/Hoerner tweak something and need a 2-3 week IL stint.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm glad Little was sent down. He's been nearly perfect for us since call up last year. Had a couple bad outings now he can work out any issues. Seemed to be overthrowing. Pulling pitches across his body and what was in the zone didn't move much.
Yup - The nice thing is it seems incredibly fixable just with time.

Excited for him to get back to his top self because he’s fun to watch when he’s on.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hendricks listed to go Sunday that has to be his final chance with Taillon going tonight.

You know Brown will be the odd man out but I think I'd keep him in the rotation over Hendricks, Wicks and likely Taillon right now.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I remember T mac's bold prediction was Horton starting in the playoffs but I'd be hard pressed to take a kid playing at AA right now over Steele, Imanaga, Assad and Brown.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Wisdom back at Wrigley. Friend of mine was on his flight this morning.

Now we wait for corresponding move.

Last edited:

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI

Amaya
Tauchman
Madrigal
Cooper or Wisdom

Shaw has only been playing 3B thus far in Tennessee, so I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet they are planning on him there. The vision should be that Busch-Hoerner-Swanson-Shaw is the infield for the next several years. Doubt they'd take Horner out of the field just to get him some innings at 2B other than planned off/rest days.

Reactions: RivClone23

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Shaw has only been playing 3B thus far in Tennessee, so I'm thinking it's a pretty safe bet they are planning on him there. The vision should be that Busch-Hoerner-Swanson-Shaw is the infield for the next several years. Doubt they'd take Horner out of the field just to get him some innings at 2B other than planned off/rest days.
If Morel can master 3B, which i mean play competently he's staying put. Shaw has only played 3B because that's the likely quickest path if Morel can't. Shaw was a SS in college. He can play 2nd as can Morel. If/when Shaw is ready they'll find him a spot. Hoerner is the weakest offense player of the 3. Busch, Shaw, Swanson and Morel along with Caissie and Suzuki in the OF could give us a lineup much like the Braves.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I think Hoerner gets traded for pitching once Shaw is established. He's a shortstop, and a good one, for like 24 franchises.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
If Morel can master 3B, which i mean play competently he's staying put. Shaw has only played 3B because that's the likely quickest path if Morel can't. Shaw was a SS in college. He can play 2nd as can Morel. If/when Shaw is ready they'll find him a spot. Hoerner is the weakest offense player of the 3. Busch, Shaw, Swanson and Morel along with Caissie and Suzuki in the OF could give us a lineup much like the Braves.
Personal opinion, people are understating just how good Hoerner is. Highest WAR and 2nd highest oWAR (only behind Belli) on the team last year only. Was ice cold the first 8 games of this year, but still tied with Seiya for 2nd highest WAR on team only behind Busch thus far. Higher OPS+ than Dansby and Morel thus far as well. He's really REALLY good, not just with the glove but with the bat too. Stat line doesnt look as sexy with less homerun power.

My point is that it seems like Shaw is pegged for 3B and Morel can go back to being that DH/utility guy which is a great role for him. If Morel and Shaw are both playing well enough to force Nico Hoerner off of 2B, then we've absolutely hit the gold mine with infield stars.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Personal opinion, people are understating just how good Hoerner is. Highest WAR and 2nd highest oWAR (only behind Belli) on the team last year only. Was ice cold the first 8 games of this year, but still tied with Seiya for 2nd highest WAR on team only behind Busch thus far. Higher OPS+ than Dansby and Morel thus far as well. He's really REALLY good, not just with the glove but with the bat too. Stat line doesnt look as sexy with less homerun power.

My point is that it seems like Shaw is pegged for 3B and Morel can go back to being that DH/utility guy which is a great role for him. If Morel and Shaw are both playing well enough to force Nico Hoerner off of 2B, then we've absolutely hit the gold mine with infield stars.
It's all just speculation but the reason he's only played third is the jury is still out on Morel. Shaw at 2nd and Morel at 3rd have silver slugger potential.