***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I think Hoerner gets traded for pitching once Shaw is established. He's a shortstop, and a good one, for like 24 franchises.
Where does Dansby go? A Busch, Hoerner, Swanson, Shaw infield would be elite defensively

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
If Morel can master 3B, which i mean play competently he's staying put. Shaw has only played 3B because that's the likely quickest path if Morel can't. Shaw was a SS in college. He can play 2nd as can Morel. If/when Shaw is ready they'll find him a spot. Hoerner is the weakest offense player of the 3. Busch, Shaw, Swanson and Morel along with Caissie and Suzuki in the OF could give us a lineup much like the Braves.
I'm a big Hoerner fan, there will come the day the Cubs have to pay him. But until then, I feel having: Hoerner 2B/SS, Swanson SS, Morel 3B/DH & Shaw 3B/2B would be an elite infield rotation. That's 486 starts to split among 4 guys.

Just feel the days of players starting 150+ games a season are over and a good target would be 130-140 games in the field. A manager can always bump an elite or hot offensive player DH at-bats.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Would be curious if Wesneski knew when called up it would be short lived. Crazy, guy possibly has the best outing of any pitcher this season and is sent down in less than 24Hrs.
Based on his tweet today, I’d say he didn’t know.

Kind of a slap in the face, but my money is on them wanting to continue to develop him as a starting pitcher and he wasn’t going to get that at the moment.

I guess I don’t understand why they sent a rested Palencia to Iowa to call up Brewer. My $0.02 would’ve been let Palencia stay one extra game to finish the Arizona series and then have Taillon replace him.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
I doubt he heads back to Iowa, probably stay in Chicago until he's eligible to be recalled.

Pretty cold if not, in the T Mac interview he said yesterday the GF was headed to Chicago.
He has to be in Iowa for 15 days UNLESS he replaces an injured player or he could be the 27th player for the DH Saturday.

I could see him staying through Saturday, assuming he’d be available after throwing yesterday.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sending Wesneski back to Iowa after the outing he had makes no sense unless they anticipate another pitching IL move coming. The Wisdom for Mastrobouni move is nothing more than shuffling the deck as neither player really belongs on the 40 man roster if the Cubs are serious about competing for the playoffs this year. If Carl Edward Jr shows anything of a capable reliever in his appearances at Iowa I'd not flinch at DFA either of them to make room for him and if he sucks then cut him and call up the next non 40 man guy that is hot at the time

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Sending Wesneski back to Iowa after the outing he had makes no sense unless they anticipate another pitching IL move coming. The Wisdom for Mastrobouni move is nothing more than shuffling the deck as neither player really belongs on the 40 man roster if the Cubs are serious about competing for the playoffs this year. If Carl Edward Jr shows anything of a capable reliever in his appearances at Iowa I'd not flinch at DFA either of them to make room for him and if he sucks then cut him and call up the next non 40 man guy that is hot at the time
Got brought up on Twitter by a Cubs account I follow that he likely was gonna not be about to throw for a few days anyway so depending on what he has for options left it makes some sense.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
He has to be in Iowa for 15 days UNLESS he replaces an injured player or he could be the 27th player for the DH Saturday.

I could see him staying through Saturday, assuming he’d be available after throwing yesterday.
He can be in Chicago but on the Iowa roster. Somebody is getting moved to make room for him when he's ready to throw again.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Wisdom gives you so much more. Dude mashes left handed pitching for the most part and has enough positional flexibility that he works as a bench piece.

Feels like Mastro has played his last game in the bigs for the Cubs.