***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Need that bat back. Great news.

Optioning Canario was the easy one. The tough one is going to be when Seiya gets back next week. It's probably PCA but you just hate to send that defense down but it's best for his growth as a hitter.
Since Bellringer was DH tonight, will be curious if Cubs limit him to DH for 7-10 days. Although batting would seem more painful than fielding. But maybe extending upward causes discomfort.

At some point, if Cubs send PCA down, Hoyer needs to be on phone to move Happ. Sure he has NT, but Happ also wants to play. PCA looks like he belongs at MLB level. Something I didn't see last Sept.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Since Bellringer was DH tonight, will be curious if Cubs limit him to DH for 7-10 days. Although batting would seem more painful than fielding. But maybe extending upward causes discomfort.

At some point, if Cubs send PCA down, Hoyer needs to be on phone to move Happ. Sure he has NT, but Happ also wants to play. PCA looks like he belongs at MLB level. Something I didn't see last Sept.
Happ is a streaky player. He’ll get hot again. When the lineup gets completely healthy again he can stop pressing.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Happ is playing nearly everyday already though and is a 2 time gold glove so unless they intentionally sit him in favor of much less proven players he's not getting traded. Cubs were dumb to give him a NT with all the OF prospects they have in the system. They are going to trade 1 or more of them before they beg Happ to waive his clause I bet. The time to trade him was in 2022 before they extended him.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Name I’m curious if we’ve looked at - AJ Puk.

Horrible start to the year when the Marlins transitioned him to a starter. He’s going to move back to relief and in his 2 innings he’s thrown in rehab, he’s got 4 strikeouts and hasn’t let anyone on. He was a great reliever last year.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I get the angst over the Happy NTC but if giving him the NTC made him agree to a 3 year deal instead of a 4 or 5 year deal, it's worth it.

He's right at market value based on WAR. It's not a bad contract.

He's the classic 'numbers are better than my eye leads me to believe' player.

• Agree
Reactions: RivClone23

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Happ is a streaky player. He’ll get hot again. When the lineup gets completely healthy again he can stop pressing.
My comment was less about Happ's ability than the Cubs can't keep sending PCA and Canario back & forth between Iowa and Chicago.

At some point in 2024 they need to play consistently in Chicago to reach their potential. It also lets the Cubs know how aggressive they need to be in resigning Bellinger.

Plus the Cubs also have a solid 3/4 OF in Tauchman. And I would think the Cubs would like to bring Caissie up at some point in Aug/Sep or start of 2025 season.

RivClone23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2007
West Des Moines
My comment was less about Happ's ability than the Cubs can't keep sending PCA and Canario back & forth between Iowa and Chicago.

At some point in 2024 they need to play consistently in Chicago to reach their potential. It also lets the Cubs know how aggressive they need to be in resigning Bellinger.

Plus the Cubs also have a solid 3/4 OF in Tauchman. And I would think the Cubs would like to bring Caissie up at some point in Aug/Sep or start of 2025 season.
To me, it just doesn't make sense to worry about this right now. Playoff teams sometimes have too many good players, just look at Michael Busch in LA (and no, I'm not comparing the Cubs to the Dodgers). If all of the following things happen then we can start to worry about the Happ "problem"
  1. Bellinger and Seiya come back and stay healthy (can still move Belli to 1B)
  2. PCA starts to figure out AAA
  3. Caissie really starts to show he's too good for AAA
  4. Michael Busch continues to hit
  5. Tauchman continues to look like more than a 4th OF

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Maybe it’s not fair to him, but I just do not see a scenario where Canario is ever a contributor to the Cubs; both with what we have already in Chicago and the prospects we have behind him.

I’d like to see us baby Caissie in 2025 and Alcantara in 2026 so both can be productive their following years.

I don’t see Belli being here in ‘26 and assume he’ll opt out unless we extend him. My guess is we let Happ walk after ‘26.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Ugh that was some bad hitting by the Cubs. Or should I say bad hit! 1 hit- an infield single. And Boog said hardest hit ball was 95mph. I believe SD pitchers faced 3 batters in 7 of 9 innings.

Hope Seiya's ready for the Pirates!

I realize the Cubs coaching staff has been treading water the first month with all the injuries. But as guys come back, if this offense doesn't pick up over the next 2-3 weeks, maybe it's time to replace Madrigal and/or Mastrobuoni. If they continue to hit .200 with no slug, why not bring up Vazquez, Slaughter or even Bote?

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Ugh that was some bad hitting by the Cubs. Or should I say bad hit! 1 hit- an infield single. And Boog said hardest hit ball was 95mph. I believe SD pitchers faced 3 batters in 7 of 9 innings.

Hope Seiya's ready for the Pirates!

I realize the Cubs coaching staff has been treading water the first month with all the injuries. But as guys come back, if this offense doesn't pick up over the next 2-3 weeks, maybe it's time to replace Madrigal and/or Mastrobuoni. If they continue to hit .200 with no slug, why not bring up Vazquez, Slaughter or even Bote?
I’m going to trust Counsell as I think he’s a legit manager and has done wonders with honestly a bad roster as it sits right now with the injuries.