***Official 2024 Chicago Cubs Thread***

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I couldn't watch the end but looks like Miller was solid in 2 low leverage innings like he's been in Seattle.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Man the Cubs just can't get a break with the IL. But I like having another power arm on the back-end of the bullpen. Especially, if the Cubs get Smyly and Wicks back soon.
Little probably would of better off getting more time to work on issues but you gotta go when needed.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Little probably would of better off getting more time to work on issues but you gotta go when needed.
Agree, but not sure what other choices the Cubs have.

The Cubs liked what they saw in spring training, so Little better take well to on the job training.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Agree, but not sure what other choices the Cubs have.

The Cubs liked what they saw in spring training, so Little better take well to on the job training.
Was watching a show the other night discussing how that won't play in the majors but you won't fail until you get to the majors.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I guess the next question pitching wise is what do you do with Wicks when he comes back? I like the idea of having Brown and Wesneski that can completely eliminate the need for a bullpen in 2 games every series. I wonder why they don't give Leiter a shot to close?

If we could use Brown or Wesneski every other game for 3+ then Almonte ( when healthy), Merryweather ( again when healthy) and Leiter as 7, 8.9. I think we could be pretty salty. Hopefully we don't trade for a few middling guys but instead buck up and go get a true " the guy" type.

Back to Wicks, if Hendricks is competitive i don't see Wicks getting back in the rotation until our next injury. He's probably better off staying stretched in Iowa then not get regular work. He's definitely a nice piece to have.

Love to see a pen that looks like this 90% of the time. Adding one really good piece could make all the difference.
Acquired closer
Leiter
Merryweather
Almonte
Little
Smyly
Brown
Wesneski

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
PCA is starting to play with confidence now. He’s gonna be a blast. Not sure just how productive he will ultimately be, buts it will be fun to watch!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
PCA is starting to play with confidence now. He’s gonna be a blast. Not sure just how productive he will ultimately be, buts it will be fun to watch!
League average offensive production is more than ample and I think he's better then that moving forward.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Here's what I've been thinking about today.
2025 outfield.
Obviously PCA will be in center.
Suzuki has to be on a corner
Tauchman should be #4 until someone like Caissie, Alcantara or Davis force the issue.

After that it comes down to two things.
Can the Cubs get a reasonable long-term deal with Bellinger after he opts out? Can't imagine our offense without him.

Happ, is the front office willing to sit him until he is willing to accept a trade?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I guess the next question pitching wise is what do you do with Wicks when he comes back? I like the idea of having Brown and Wesneski that can completely eliminate the need for a bullpen in 2 games every series. I wonder why they don't give Leiter a shot to close?

If we could use Brown or Wesneski every other game for 3+ then Almonte ( when healthy), Merryweather ( again when healthy) and Leiter as 7, 8.9. I think we could be pretty salty. Hopefully we don't trade for a few middling guys but instead buck up and go get a true " the guy" type.

Back to Wicks, if Hendricks is competitive i don't see Wicks getting back in the rotation until our next injury. He's probably better off staying stretched in Iowa then not get regular work. He's definitely a nice piece to have.

Love to see a pen that looks like this 90% of the time. Adding one really good piece could make all the difference.
Acquired closer
Leiter
Merryweather
Almonte
Little
Smyly
Brown
Wesneski
I posted it a few days ago, but I would use Brown, Wesneski and Wicks as long bullpen guys to ideally eat up 3 innings per appearance. If I'm Counsell, I schedule their relief appearances like a starter. Having them prepare to pitch on 2 days rest.

Depending how deep the starter goes, I wouldn't be afraid to have those 3 finish games either. I didn't see Counsell's post game to see if reporter asked question. But if last night's game was closer, my guess is Brown would have pitched the 9th.

I feel like Wicks should stick in Chicago because he's a lefty.