Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: GotHops32

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
No Nico again today.

Broadcast yesterday made it sound like he’d probably sit today with the off day tomorrow and hopefully is back Tuesday. If not, they definitely wasted a roster spot by not putting him on the IL

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
You ended up saving 2 whole days by not IL-ing him. The game is hard enough without choosing to play shorthanded.

Vazquez should have been up.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
You ended up saving 2 whole days by not IL-ing him. The game is hard enough without choosing to play shorthanded.

Vazquez should have been up.
Hindsight is easy. If Nico had only been down a week do you risk sitting him two. But I agree Vazquez should of been up for Masterbouni or Madrigal. Those two infield hits on routine balls to short cemented that.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm struggling to understand the value of both Madrigal and Mastro on the team. When Swanson and Hoerner are both back, I wouldn't hate sending both to Iowa and having Vazquez be the #2 3B/SS/2B.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'm struggling to understand the value of both Madrigal and Mastro on the team. When Swanson and Hoerner are both back, I wouldn't hate sending both to Iowa and having Vazquez be the #2 3B/SS/2B.
Agree. Their games are very similar, so not really value of having both on the roster. Feel like Hoyer needs to trade one of those guys in the next 7-10 days. Similar deal as with Lovelady, an A or AA prospect.

Would love for the Cubs to call up Vazquez, but I question how many at bats he would get on a weekly basis. If he could split time with Morel at 3rd it might make sense. And have Morel also be DH 50%.

I see the I-Cubs are playing Vazquez at 3B and Bote at SS the last 4 games. IMO that means something. Just not sure if it leans toward Bote or Vazquez getting called up.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
100% agree. Vazquez can play 3rd as well so that isn't even a factor. It's time to see if these prospects can produce.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Team is fine. Injuries adding up, zero consistency in lineups, bullpen has been bad, and bad stretches in the season will happen.
Good enough to compete for the central. A closer and a big bat from contending for the pennant.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Our current rotation breakdown as 2 wins Imanaga and Assad, 2 losses Hendricks and Steele and Taillon a toss-up. Hopefully Steele gets back on track and Wicks replaces Hendricks soon.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Will be curious if this aligns with the discussion on here about Madrigal and Mastrobuoni. Or it reflects Swanson and/or Hoerner's recovery is a little slower than expected.
Swanson's on the IL, Hoerner isn't. Best guess Madrigal goes down 1st. Allowing a Masterbouni/Vazquez platoon at 2nd. When both starters return hopefully they send out Masterbouni as well.

If Hoerner returns first it will be interesting to see who plays short in a Hoerner Vazquez DP combo.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
My guess is the decision to call him up was a control the fire you let get a little out of control situation. Swanson and Hoerner will play Tuesday, but they learned definitively Mastro will not be a productive contributor to a quality franchise.

Storyline after last year was that each individual game in April, May, and June matter as much as each individual game in July, August, and September.

You can not preach that narrative when you have Vazquez in Des Moines and play Mastro over and over and over again. He’s an automatic out with the bat and is not anywhere near a defensively reliable SS.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
My guess is the decision to call him up was a control the fire you let get a little out of control situation. Swanson and Hoerner will play Tuesday, but they learned definitively Mastro will not be a productive contributor to a quality franchise.

Storyline after last year was that each individual game in April, May, and June matter as much as each individual game in July, August, and September.

You can not preach that narrative when you have Vazquez in Des Moines and play Mastro over and over and over again. He’s an automatic out with the bat and is not anywhere near a defensively reliable SS.
So you thinking DFA? I know he still has options.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
It's gotta be Madrigal.

I actually like Mastro as the 26th man. Can play 5 positions and hits left handed. The couple hiccups he had at short were purely inexperience. Thought he was more than acceptable considering he'd never started at short in a major league game before this weekend.

And, as always, the idea of Nick Madrigal is far superior to what Nick Madrigal is in real life.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It's gotta be Madrigal.

I actually like Mastro as the 26th man. Can play 5 positions and hits left handed. The couple hiccups he had at short were purely inexperience. Thought he was more than acceptable considering he'd never started at short in a major league game before this weekend.

And, as always, the idea of Nick Madrigal is far superior to what Nick Madrigal is in real life.
5 OF, Swanson, Hoerner, Morel, Busch, 2 C leaves 2 open spots. Wisdom and a MI (Vazquez). So if you keep Madrigal you lose PCA ( or Happ).