***Official 2024 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Thread***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Said it before, but it’s demoralizing seeing an 11 seed NC State go to the final 4, while better Iowa State teams in recent memory can’t. But that’s why we love the tournament

That’s their history sure, but they were 10th place in the ACC.

Yet we won the Big 12 tournament, beat a #1 seed twice, yet get drawn in the toughest bracket with the consensus 2024 tournament champions.

But we lost to an average type team.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
NC State beat a 2-* seed (Marquette) from the Big East, a 4 seed (Duke) from the ACC and 6 seed (Texas Tech) from the Big Xii along the way to the Final Four. They earned it.

*-Corrected!

Last edited:
Reactions: GotHops32

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Last year the Sum of the Final Four seeds was 23 (#4 UConn, #5 Miami, #5 San Diego State, #9 FAU). This year, the Sum of the Final Four seeds is 17 (#1 UConn, #1 Purdue, #4 Alabama, #11 NC State).

The two-year sum of 40 is the highest in the history of the tournament for two consecutive tournaments.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Last year the Sum of the Final Four seeds was 23 (#4 UConn, #5 Miami, #5 San Diego State, #9 FAU). This year, the Sum of the Final Four seeds is 17 (#1 UConn, #1 Purdue, #4 Alabama, #11 NC State).

The two-year sum of 40 is the highest in the history of the tournament for two consecutive tournaments.
Now, you must tell us record for lowest seed-sum in consecutive tournaments.

I think 2007 & 2008 was 16. I assume there are chalkier combos, but that's the first back-to-back that came to mind.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
They did beat Marquette, but they played in one the easiest brackets when Shead went down. They’re hot and also a little lucky.
DJ Burns is red hot. He's 63-97 or 65% from the floor over his last 9 games. He shot only 151-309 or 49% from the floor over his first 30 games. So as the competition has gotten tougher, he's gotten a lot better.

He's playing in his 5th year due to the Covid year.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Man, I can't even imagine (unless I had so much money I could never burn through it). Risking $10 for our office pool is bad enough knowing that my bracket is going to go up in flames by midday Thursday.

Yeah, but that guy usually uses that as an insurance policy to offset sales at his mattress store. Typically, it’s buy a matttress and if Houston wins, it’s free. His volumes are large enough that the revenue from those sales offsets his betting.

So as long as he’s making 1/7.5 or 13% commission and selling 7.5m worth of mattresses, he’s not losing money. Granted, I have no idea if he’s actually selling that much, but that’s the idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
DJ's comments immediately after the game were interesting to me. Asked what has been different over this run and basically said guys are bought in now, showing up to meetings on time, not being selfish on the court, having fun, playing for each other, etc.

Obviously there is a big piece of just catching fire and getting some luck, but it's always crazy to me just how impactful it is to have a team that is "bought in" regardless of talent level. They were 17-14, dead in the water, Keatts probably mostly lost the locker room because his job was in jeopardy. String together a couple wins early in the ACC tourney, start to believe you can make a run, attention to detail ratchets up, start doing the right thing and bam. A run like this falls into place. Culture matters!