MLB: ***Official 2024 St. Louis Cardinals Thread***

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
8 and 1/2 to Sioux City and still blacked out.
It’s simply ridiculous that the blackout rules are defined by state lines, instead of counties or zip codes or something.

Live in New Albin, in the northeast corner of Iowa? Royals and Cardinals are still blacked out. Live in Hamburg, down in the southwest corner? No Brewers or Cubs or White Sox for you, they’re all your “local” teams.

Just mindless and lazy. There’s thousands and tens of thousands of people willing to pay for MLB.TV so they can watch the teams they follow, but MLB is too dumb to just take their money.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We are about to be swept by the Brewers at home, same problem as last year, lack of hitting with runners in scoring position. It was a mistake bringing Oli back for another year, and this start of the season is proving it. The pitching for the most part has been decent, not great but good enough, defense has improved, but just too many hitters that are not getting the job done. Winn has been great, Walker looks lost and time to send him down, hard to get excited watching this crap and it's going to be a long summer.

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
We are about to be swept by the Brewers at home, same problem as last year, lack of hitting with runners in scoring position. It was a mistake bringing Oli back for another year, and this start of the season is proving it. The pitching for the most part has been decent, not great but good enough, defense has improved, but just too many hitters that are not getting the job done. Winn has been great, Walker looks lost and time to send him down, hard to get excited watching this crap and it's going to be a long summer.
I don't think any of the veterans (and probably the young guys too) have any trust in the coaching staff. I think they know they are just taking their orders from the front office. And it doesn't appear that they can coach hitting or pitching. The writing should have been on the wall when Mike Maddox, a respected pitching coach, walked away from a playoff team. And then that was followed by Jeff Albert and Matt Holliday doing the same. Something is rotten and I don't think it changes until Dewitt fires Mo and someone can start the process over. It was an extraordinary run but it's time for new blood. They've lost their way. Hoping we look back and laugh at this post as reactionary but the team is lifeless now.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
It’s simply ridiculous that the blackout rules are defined by state lines, instead of counties or zip codes or something.

Live in New Albin, in the northeast corner of Iowa? Royals and Cardinals are still blacked out. Live in Hamburg, down in the southwest corner? No Brewers or Cubs or White Sox for you, they’re all your “local” teams.

Just mindless and lazy. There’s thousands and tens of thousands of people willing to pay for MLB.TV so they can watch the teams they follow, but MLB is too dumb to just take their money.
The other day the Rays and the Angels game on the MLB channel was blacked out in NC Iowa. What????

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think any of the veterans (and probably the young guys too) have any trust in the coaching staff. I think they know they are just taking their orders from the front office. And it doesn't appear that they can coach hitting or pitching. The writing should have been on the wall when Mike Maddox, a respected pitching coach, walked away from a playoff team. And then that was followed by Jeff Albert and Matt Holliday doing the same. Something is rotten and I don't think it changes until Dewitt fires Mo and someone can start the process over. It was an extraordinary run but it's time for new blood. They've lost their way. Hoping we look back and laugh at this post as reactionary but the team is lifeless now.
This team is cooked until they clean house. Mo went all-in when he fired Shildt so he could promote Marmol.

You’re spot on: this staff was put together to just put in the game plan from the front office and the analytics team. Says a lot that Montgomery wanted nothing to do with coming back to STL either.

Best thing they could do is fire the front office and bring Shildt back or hire Skip away from Miami.

Nothing will change until the $ is impacted. Dewitt and Mo have had the approach of spending as little as possible to be at least competitive so people still show up and tune in. Until the bottom line shows signs of decreasing, this trend will continue.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This team is cooked until they clean house. Mo went all-in when he fired Shildt so he could promote Marmol.

You’re spot on: this staff was put together to just put in the game plan from the front office and the analytics team. Says a lot that Montgomery wanted nothing to do with coming back to STL either.

Best thing they could do is fire the front office and bring Shildt back or hire Skip away from Miami.

Nothing will change until the $ is impacted. Dewitt and Mo have had the approach of spending as little as possible to be at least competitive so people still show up and tune in. Until the bottom line shows signs of decreasing, this trend will continue.
Attendance is down at home, they are currently 4th overall, but that number is being propped up by 4 games in LA and 3 games in SD. Until people start to stay away in large numbers, the ownership group will not do anything.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Attendance is down at home, they are currently 4th overall, but that number is being propped up by 4 games in LA and 3 games in SD. Until people start to stay away in large numbers, the ownership group will not do anything.
I was just at the Brewers series this weekend - 40,000-plus in the Busch seats for each of the three games, with temperatures in the 50s (it felt colder in the shade). For which we got to see a total of six runs, half of them coming in one inning.

My son and I were just saying, as long as they’re selling the tickets at the price they charge, there’s zero reason for them to change what they’re doing.

• Informative

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I was just at the Brewers series this weekend - 40,000-plus in the Busch seats for each of the three games, with temperatures in the 50s (it felt colder in the shade). For which we got to see a total of six runs, half of them coming in one inning.

My son and I were just saying, as long as they’re selling the tickets at the price they charge, there’s zero reason for them to change what they’re doing.
The weekend games are always going to have a good crowd, but they did have a weekday game last series that was the lowest ever for a game without covid. We know a lot of people that plan their vacation time every year to go to St. Louis to catch a game or two, this year many have decided to do something else.

Reactions: KidSilverhair

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
The weekend games are always going to have a good crowd, but they did have a weekday game last series that was the lowest ever for a game without covid. We know a lot of people that plan their vacation time every year to go to St. Louis to catch a game or two, this year many have decided to do something else.
I know a lot of people that will now choose to go to the Ozarks instead of Busch.

It’s almost like Opening Day and then let’s see.

• Agree

matclone

Nov 13, 2016

Mother's Day two years ago at Busch. It was freezing cold, and for some reason they didn't let anyone in the stadium until an hour before the game. We're all waiting outside.

And now they're "cashless"--for their convenience and money control (not mine) and I don't remember if we even had any vendors in the stands. I'm thinking: do they really want us to come to the game? (It's a drive)

Correct me, if any of this has changed.

And, yes, the prices--of the tickets and the beer and food.

This year, we're probably going to drive over to Cincy again, when they play the Cardinals in August. Nice stadium there.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Mother's Day two years ago at Busch. It was freezing cold, and for some reason they didn't let anyone in the stadium until an hour before the game. We're all waiting outside.

And now they're "cashless"--for their convenience and money control (not mine) and I don't remember if we even had any vendors in the stands. I'm thinking: do they really want us to come to the game? (It's a drive)

Correct me, if any of this has changed.

And, yes, the prices--of the tickets and the beer and food.

This year, we're probably going to drive over to Cincy again, when they play the Cardinals in August. Nice stadium there.
We have gone to 3 or 4 Cards series in Cincy, it's not a bad little drive, and a beautiful area, plus their prices are a lot cheaper than St. Louis for tickets.

Reactions: matclone

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
This is feeling Kronke like
Can you explain this? I always felt like Kronke deliberately sabotaged the Rams in order to crater fan support, improving his case to move the franchise to LA where he owned the land SoFi stadium is on now.

I’d be blown away if the Dewitts were looking to move out of St. Louis. I think the bigger issue is the Bally sports situation. For an owner that wasn’t really a spendthrift to begin with, the possibility of completely losing a huge chunk of their revenue I think spooked them significantly. That coupled with some boneheaded moves by Mo (in hindsight, anyway) are the biggest reason why the cardinals are where they are and don’t look like they’re seriously trying.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Can you explain this? I always felt like Kronke deliberately sabotaged the Rams in order to crater fan support, improving his case to move the franchise to LA where he owned the land SoFi stadium is on now.

I’d be blown away if the Dewitts were looking to move out of St. Louis. I think the bigger issue is the Bally sports situation. For an owner that wasn’t really a spendthrift to begin with, the possibility of completely losing a huge chunk of their revenue I think spooked them significantly. That coupled with some boneheaded moves by Mo (in hindsight, anyway) are the biggest reason why the cardinals are where they are and don’t look like they’re seriously trying.
The Rams had everything going for them and slowly but surely it all vanished. And the fans kept coming and coming even during terrible years.
In my opinion, this is developing a similar pathway. And the ownership seems disinterested. If he trusts that turd Mo this much after all he's witnessed, plus the extension, then this may take a lot longer to fix than a few seasons.
Grow a pair and fix it ... or sell to someone who cares.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The Rams had everything going for them and slowly but surely it all vanished. And the fans kept coming and coming even during terrible years.
In my opinion, this is developing a similar pathway. And the ownership seems disinterested. If he trusts that turd Mo this much after all he's witnessed, plus the extension, then this may take a lot longer to fix than a few seasons.
Grow a pair and fix it ... or sell to someone who cares.
The Rams moved because the franchise in LA doubled or tripled the price as compared to St. Louis, there was nothing that St. Louis could do to keep the franchise in Missouri. The Cards are a completely different case, the ownership group not only owns the Cardinals, but the stadium and Ball Park Village. The value of the team has increase with those additions. Its silly to think the Cardinals would ever leave St. Louis, it's a Gold Mine and the ownership group realizes that, and they plan to mine every dollar from it.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
2 cents: son & fam lives in St.Lou (Corporate exec). He played college baseball w/winning program. Says Cards are rudderless & losing local fan interest. Baseball Village a questionable perception by the locals as a year long money grab by ownership. Lack of player leadership by the bell cows (Goldy is the quiet type & lives in Miami). Remove Arenado & Goldy & they are the Royals, if you know what I mean. Baseball is all about a #1 Starting pitcher who stabilizes the staff and sets the tone ie. Chris Carpenter -Adam Wainwright in their primes. No one even close for several years and that’s the biggest problem.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
2 cents: son & fam lives in St.Lou (Corporate exec). He played college baseball w/winning program. Says Cards are rudderless & losing local fan interest. Baseball Village a questionable perception by the locals as a year long money grab by ownership. Lack of player leadership by the bell cows (Goldy is the quiet type & lives in Miami). Remove Arenado & Goldy & they are the Royals, if you know what I mean.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
The Rams moved because the franchise in LA doubled or tripled the price as compared to St. Louis, there was nothing that St. Louis could do to keep the franchise in Missouri. The Cards are a completely different case, the ownership group not only owns the Cardinals, but the stadium and Ball Park Village. The value of the team has increase with those additions. Its silly to think the Cardinals would ever leave St. Louis, it's a Gold Mine and the ownership group realizes that, and they plan to mine every dollar from it.
I didn't say they'd leave St Louis.