***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Now you have tournaments, gamblers, etc. getting involved.

Unless they can find a way to retain a little more star power, I don't see the point of this. Viewership is down across the board. For me personally, I'm probably not watching games other than Iowa State, some Iowa and the occasional Big 12 game.

I just can't imagine caring if in the middle of the year Duke, Michigan State, Kansas and Kentucky play each other for a cash payout.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If he wants to waste his career there instead of being a cog in top 10 team so be it.
Maybe Wake has deeper pockets than I think, or he wants to revive the program or something.

WF has one NCAAT appearance since 2010 (First Four) (under 3 coaches) ... no Sweet 16 since 2004. Ten of previous 13 seasons, no postseason at all. (11 of 14 if we count COVID season)

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe Wake has deeper pockets than I think, or he wants to revive the program or something.

WF has one NCAAT appearance since 2010 (First Four) (under 3 coaches) ... no Sweet 16 since 2004. Ten of previous 13 seasons, no postseason at all. (11 of 14 if we count COVID season)

Or there’s some kind of connection that we aren’t aware of. Could be an assistant, could be a current player, maybe his mom went there, maybe his grandparents live in NC. Probably $$$$ though.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Hunter Sallis might be the connection. He's also from Omaha.
How did Creighton ever let Hunter Sallis out of Omaha? They have more money to spend on their basketball program than they know what to do with. Sallis has turned into an absolute stud at Wake Forest.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I haven't been following this. Have all their top choices said no? That's really surprising and a tad concerning they will throw a bag at TJ.
No, I think Pope was pretty high on their list. Former national champ at Kentucky, on the '96 team, one of the best ever. Been decent at BYU. Made the tournament 3 out of 5 times (counting 2020), and showed they can compete in the Big 12.

He's certainly not the flashy UK style coach from the past, but that's probably not a bad thing. I think the biggest negative is that he likely won't be bringing his best players with him.

Reactions: Drew0311

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
No, I think Pope was pretty high on their list. Former national champ at Kentucky, on the '96 team, one of the best ever. Been decent at BYU. Made the tournament 3 out of 5 times (counting 2020), and showed they can compete in the Big 12.

He's certainly not the flashy UK style coach from the past, but that's probably not a bad thing. I think the biggest negative is that he likely won't be bringing his best players with him.
They might be looking for the opposite of Calipari too. With NIL, there's no longer a reason to hire a coach known for getting their school to forfeit all the wins in a good season.

Reactions: CascadeClone