***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Julian Larry from Indiana State in the portal. He's 99.9% just following Schertz to St Louis BUT if you could somehow get a chance to talk to him, he'd be just an outstanding fit in this system.

Crazy quick guard, handles great, shoots well and on the Valley defensive team last year.
I don't get the move from Indiana State to St Louis. Seems very lateral, does he have a connection to SLU?

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don't get the move from Indiana State to St Louis. Seems very lateral, does he have a connection to SLU?
Going from a bottom 3 Valley job to a top 3 A10 job and from $268k to $2M+. St Louis is a great job and it shows you how bad Travis Ford is that he couldn't win there.

• Agree
Reactions: GotHops32

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
He's going to go from making 430k to over 2 million, and the A10 is a better league than the MVC
St Louis is paying a coach over $2M a year?!? wow! even being in the A10, they are a nobody in the CBB landscape. I would think a coach would be better off dominating the MVC than being a middle-tier A-10 team, in terms of getting to a power conference job

• Dumb
Reactions: Cytown12

alexssdean12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2018
Julian Larry from Indiana State in the portal. He's 99.9% just following Schertz to St Louis BUT if you could somehow get a chance to talk to him, he'd be just an outstanding fit in this system.

Crazy quick guard, handles great, shoots well and on the Valley defensive team last year.
If we are picking anyone up from Indiana State I want me some Cream Abdul Jabbar (Robbie Avila).. He's a Georges Niang lite.

Last edited:

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
St Louis is paying a coach over $2M a year?!? wow! even being in the A10, they are a nobody in the CBB landscape. I would think a coach would be better off dominating the MVC than being a middle-tier A-10 team, in terms of getting to a power conference job

I'm guessing St. Louis administration and a lot of alums look at Creighton and say "why can't that be us?" Jesuit university in a major Midwest city with a wealthy alumni/donor base and no football to compete with. I can't blame them for thinking like that. If Schertz is a top-tier coach like Altman or McDermott, no reason they can't be at the top of the A10 for a handful of years and then try to pitch themselves in the next stage of conference realignment 10-15 years from now.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I'm guessing St. Louis administration and a lot of alums look at Creighton and say "why can't that be us?" Jesuit university in a major Midwest city with a wealthy alumni/donor base and no football to compete with. I can't blame them for thinking like that. If Schertz is a top-tier coach like Altman or McDermott, no reason they can't be at the top of the A10 for a handful of years and then try to pitch themselves in the next stage of conference realignment 10-15 years from now.
spot on but the thing Creighton will always (probably) have going for it is being only game in town.

no pro sports to compete with.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Travis Ford BADLY underachieved with the resources and budget there. Majerus and Spoonhour both had really good teams there.

Plus, Indiana State doesn't have the administrative support or resources to maintain what Schertz has done there even if he would have stayed. He caught lightning and he needs to get out before it catches up.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
They'd been paying Travis Ford over 2 mil for the last 7 years

• Wow
Reactions: GotHops32

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
He's fantastic on the offensive end, but I'm not sure if he would create a problem in our scheme defensively.

Yeah, I think he's an exciting name just from this year's notoriety, but I don't see how he fits.
I'm sure a bunch of posts related to Niang are coming, but that doesn't make this guy a better fit for this team.

Aug 20, 2012

Saint Louis has hired a few high profile coaches over the years (Rick Majerus and Lorenzo Romar spring to mind).

They were in Conference USA not that long ago.

I don’t know more than what you learn watching the tournament every year, but it seems they’ve taken basketball seriously for a long time.