***Official 2024 Transfer Thread***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That “if” is my point. We’ve replaced one of King, Ward and Jones with an equal caliber player. Sure, Heise is probably better than Pav but that’s for like 4 minutes a game.

I think saying “our entire core” is retuning is kind of an overstatement at this point. Backcourt, clearly yes. Big question marks in the front court.
IMO as the roster sits today it means we play Momcilovic at the 4. Clearly a more talented offensive player than Tre King. And I would hope Watson's offense gets better. He's a stud on D.

I would argue we should be better on offense at the 5 with Jackson, Rock and Chatfield. Rob & Hasan were both great effort guys, but limited offensively. As long as TJ can get the same effort from the new trio, we should be more than fine.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We are going to be less athletic and not as good next year. Portal season has been a disappointment. Naively Thought we’d be a destination for transfers looking to win, but it’s all about the $$$.
Disagree. But, we do have to spend most of our dollars to retain guys, so we are forced to be bargain shoppers. The high dollar guys are not in play for us. TJ has proven his ability to identify somewhat under the radar talent. If, big if, we land one of our remaining “4” targets you may change your mind. We recruit to need. Bigs were our #1 need. I think we have done well.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
IMO as the roster sits today it means we play Momcilovic at the 4. Clearly a more talented offensive player than Tre King. And I would hope Watson's offense gets better. He's a stud on D.

I would argue we should be better on offense at the 5 with Jackson, Rock and Chatfield. Rob & Hasan were both great effort guys, but limited offensively. As long as TJ can get the same effort from the new trio, we should be more than fine.
I think that may be possible, but that lineup has some defensive and rebounding problems. I think that might be a situational lineup. We need a 4 yet. If we do not get one, Chatfield at the 4 might be a strong possibility.
Lipsey
Gilbert
Milan
Chatfield
Jackson
Jones same role as today.

• Agree
Reactions: twincyties

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think that may be possible, but that lineup has some defensive and rebounding problems. I think that might be a situational lineup. We need a 4 yet. If we do not get one, Chatfield at the 4 might be a strong possibility.
Lipsey
Gilbert
Milan
Chatfield
Jackson
We're going to get another 4, but playing along, in that scenario, I think Milan moves to the 4, Watson backs him up, Curtis starts and Heise is our instant firepower off the bench (with Rock & Chatfield also coming off the bench), and Milan might also spend some time at the 3.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and NENick

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I’d just love to see a relentless rebounder from the portal. Last year, Iowa State had 6 games with a double digit rebounder and they came from Gilbert, Lipsey, and Watson. I love that our guards can rebound but we need a PF junkyard dog type.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006

Heise will play more minutes than Paveletzke and is bigger, more athletic, and more experienced, a clear upgrade. Jackson is also a clear upgrade offensively in the middle. If we land Jefferson, he is also an upgrade athletically and offensively than Tre. We'll see how much Rock has progressed. Probably better than Ward offensively but lack of experience may make him a downgrade. But hey, guess what? We still have a spot left for an athletic big man and more players just started entering the portal.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Lipsey
Gilbert
Milan
Chatfield
Jackson

If there was a prop bet for the number of minutes that Chatfield and Jackson share the floor, I’d take the under. I don’t even care what the number is. And I don’t gamble. But that might actually drive me to start.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If Jefferson isn't signed, there will be someone else.
Also, this isn't about exact replacements, i.e. a new Rob, Ward or King. TJ and the staff will find a player that fits roster needs and culture.
Definitely, and if it's not a 4, like I mentioned earlier, we might slide Milan to the 4 with Watson backing him up, and grab a wing giving us a backcourt of Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Heise/newcomer and a front court of Momcilovic/Watson/Jackson/Rock/Chatfield. I think we're going to get Jefferson though. Seems perfect for what we need.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We are going to be less athletic and not as good next year. Portal season has been a disappointment. Naively Thought we’d be a destination for transfers looking to win, but it’s all about the $$$.
Agree, this is starting to look like a Prohm April, we all talk about which 4 of the top 5 transfers we get then it's Jeff Beverly and Hans Brase when reality hits.

As of right now our frontcourt is at net loss so I don't see how our ceiling is any higher unless Jackson develops into a solid Big 12 big.

This kind of reminds me of Iowa in a way with Clark. We have a top 5 potential team and nobody wants to come here to win a national championship. They'd rather go to Louisville and USC to get paid instead of winning.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Agree, this is starting to look like a Prohm April, we all talk about which 4 of the top 5 transfers we get then it's Jeff Beverly and Hans Brase when reality hits.

As of right now our frontcourt is at net loss so I don't see how our ceiling is any higher unless Jackson develops into a solid Big 12 big.

This kind of reminds me of Iowa in a way with Clark. We have a top 5 potential team and nobody wants to come here to win a national championship. They'd rather go to Louisville and USC to get paid instead of winning.
What? I loved what BRE gave ISU but he was limited Jackson is already an upgrade at Center. ISU doesn't have the athleticism of Ward right now but he only played 17 minutes per game not unreplaceable. TJ has Rock who has NBA potential and Chattfeld to absorb those minutes behind Jackson until he's ready.

I assume the concern is at PF today, but we have Jefferson in town THIS weekend and would be an ideal fit as an Ejim/Hogue PF to slot next to Jefferson which is an upgrade over King. If Jefferson doesn't commit then the staff has the NIL that was for Hadley and Jefferson to go after Kyle or another Post. either way that is an upgrade. That doesn't even factor the staff potentially bulking up Watson and Milian over the summer and playing them at PF.

Anyone getting negative on ISU roster needs to take a step back and look at Wisconsin losing their top 2 players yesterday off a NCAA tourney team. ISU is in a great position as a top 5 team looking to fill one last spot with the ideal fit. Relax TJ has got this.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Jackson is already an upgrade at Center.
We don't know this yet. BRE developed into a really solid Big 12 player last year. I think you're underestimating his intangibles and how hard he will be to replace.

We'll see what happens with Jefferson and there is still a month or so in the portal, but I'd say we are either getting outbid badly or TJ can't promise even 20+ minutes a game at the 4 or 5.

Heise and Chatfield don't move the needle for me one bit and I doubt either plays much next year.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
We're going to get another 4, but playing along, in that scenario, I think Milan moves to the 4, Watson backs him up, Curtis starts and Heise is our instant firepower off the bench (with Rock & Chatfield also coming off the bench), and Milan might also spend some time at the 3.
We can agree to disagree. I love Milan. Right now he is not a 4. I also think we will get a guy, who, in my opinion will start allowing MM to play his more natural position as a 3. I see Jones in the same role as this year / with situational small ball starts. Milan needs strength and must work on his rebounding. Data below / better than I thought.

Correction:
Rebounds for season
King - 197, 861 minutes played
Lipsey - 166, 1128 minutes played
Gilbert - 161, 1146 minutes played
BRE - 154, 834 minutes played
MM. - 116, 1118 minutes played
C. jones - 109, 997 minutes played
Ward - 107, 443minutes played
Watson -65, 332 minutes played

Last edited:
Reactions: SoleCyclone

SoleCyclone

Mar 26, 2022
If there was a prop bet for the number of minutes that Chatfield and Jackson share the floor, I’d take the under. I don’t even care what the number is. And I don’t gamble. But that might actually drive me to start.
Ok, but you just put an under bet on something that doesn't list an over/under. What it were 0.01? I'd advise you to not start gambling

• Dislike
Reactions: swimmercy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If Kyle called and asked about cash, TJ would have immediately hung up. He’s not looking for guys concerned with $ first. He wants team guys
Why are we always assuming the worst? Just take it at face value. He had to cancel and is working on setting a later date. This holier then thou mentality is nauseating.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
We don't know this yet. BRE developed into a really solid Big 12 player last year. I think you're underestimating his intangibles and how hard he will be to replace.

We'll see what happens with Jefferson and there is still a month or so in the portal, but I'd say we are either getting outbid badly or TJ can't promise even 20+ minutes a game at the 4 or 5.

Heise and Chatfield don't move the needle for me one bit and I doubt either plays much next year.
Not underestimating BRE he was an efficient center from what I have seen from Jackson I believe that he can provide similar production day 1 and is likely to be a more consistent offensive threat. I agree that is a projection but the staff prioritizing getting Jackson right away gives me a lot of confidence in the addition.

Heise and Chattfeld weren't move the needle additions but are upgrades at the 8&10 spots over Pav and as a true back up PF/C with Chatfeld being 6'10". Those two adds may not seem big now but does allow to rest some of the starters longer to limit exhaustion and get solid minutes if there are foul issues.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Definitely, and if it's not a 4, like I mentioned earlier, we might slide Milan to the 4 with Watson backing him up, and grab a wing giving us a backcourt of Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Heise/newcomer and a front court of Momcilovic/Watson/Jackson/Rock/Chatfield. I think we're going to get Jefferson though. Seems perfect for what we need.
That weakens the team. We are overloaded at wing as it is.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
What? I loved what BRE gave ISU but he was limited Jackson is already an upgrade at Center. ISU doesn't have the athleticism of Ward right now but he only played 17 minutes per game not unreplaceable. TJ has Rock who has NBA potential and Chattfeld to absorb those minutes behind Jackson until he's ready.

I assume the concern is at PF today, but we have Jefferson in town THIS weekend and would be an ideal fit as an Ejim/Hogue PF to slot next to Jefferson which is an upgrade over King. If Jefferson doesn't commit then the staff has the NIL that was for Hadley and Jefferson to go after Kyle or another Post. either way that is an upgrade. That doesn't even factor the staff potentially bulking up Watson and Milian over the summer and playing them at PF.

Anyone getting negative on ISU roster needs to take a step back and look at Wisconsin losing their top 2 players yesterday off a NCAA tourney team. ISU is in a great position as a top 5 team looking to fill one last spot with the ideal fit. Relax TJ has got this.
Not being negative, but pretty presumptive to assume Jackson is an upgrade and Rock has NBA potential. I'm a little more reserved in my opinion at this point. That said, I trust TJ completely and we will have a very good team next year regardless.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Hot takes:

I think everyone got above our britches a little in using the portal for acquisition because we had such a great season and got an immediate impact transfer right when the portal opened.

With our resources, ISU will commit most of our funds to retaining players rather than acquiring them. That’s the way I’d like it to be and I believe that is WeWill’s, as well as ISU coaches’, top priority.

What we have left over after retaining players will go towards acquisition, but naturally we’ll lose some transfers to other schools because we won’t have the funds to get them.

So I don’t get upset when we lose a transfer/recruit. I would get upset if we lost a Milan or a Lipsey or a Watson or Jeremiah Cooper in football off our current team because we short-changed them to get a new player

I also think Kyle is a little overrated personally. He made some nice plays against us, but he looked really raw offensively to me and his FT shooting was bafflingly worse than Jones or Ward’s.