***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
Looks like a normal rainy day with an occasion thunderstorm to me. Is anything unusual supposed to happen?

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Do people actually pay for that? That's like taking a moon spotting class.

Why do people need a class to say hey................that's a storm?

When people with no training spot a storm..........does it count?

If a storm blows a house down and no trained storm spotter witnessed it.................did it really happen?

Maybe they should form a storm spotting union so no one is allowed to spot a storm without a permit. And no storm can be said to be a storm until someone with the proper training and permits verifies it's a storm.

Trick is how to do it safely. But there is also a lot of knowledge of types of clouds and storm fronts and how air movement affects storms.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Am I missing something? All of these ominous predictions but no severe thunderstorm watch? Maybe they are backing off on the severe prediction. It is rolling though western Iowa with no bad weather so far.

I'm a page behind but I believe a tornado watch is out now

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Hate to see the impacts but SPC really needs a “nailed it” day today.

it's so annoying when people get hyperlocal and say "well I didn't get a tornado or as much rain as they said!!" but the fact remains that we now have the capability to say there is a high probability that a *fairly small region* will experience specific types of weather in these time frames. Sure, you didn't get a tornado but an EF3 went through 20 mi away and the NWS predicted it 3 days ago.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Not much has happened here yet but my whole neighborhood in Johnston just lost power.. good thing it's a slow work day.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The “Tornado Sniffer” Brad Arnold is still bullish on tor activity this afternoon but he’s definitely targeting MO

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'm basically a weather knowledge level 201 instead of 101 but is there just enough moisture/instability already that it doesn't matter that it's that cloudy?
Sooooo yes and no. The sun and instability really need to increase to get big supercells going. This first line is not going to be a main issue.

The HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh) is handling it well so far. For reference here is what it was forecasting for 11AM
1713283682436.png

What Reed is referring to is how it is already getting linear which obviously still can produce severe weather but not the big supercells that they like/want.

Here is 5PM. Notice the gap between the lines and how more cellular that second wave is at this point. This is where things could get interesting.

1713283794280.png

Link to current visible satellite showing the clearing getting into SW Iowa.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Tornado warning in Boone and Dallas County but none of the locals have cut in. strange

• Informative
Reactions: MJ29

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sooooo yes and no. The sun and instability really need to increase to get big supercells going. This first line is not going to be a main issue.

The HRRR (High Resolution Rapid Refresh) is handling it well so far. For reference here is what it was forecasting for 11AM
View attachment 127569

What Reed is referring to is how it is already getting linear which obviously still can produce severe weather but not the big supercells that they like/want.

Here is 5PM. Notice the gap between the lines and how more cellular that second wave is at this point. This is where things could get interesting.

View attachment 127570

Link to current visible satellite showing the clearing getting into SW Iowa.

ah I missed that this was a first round of sorts and the bigger threat was PM. Which makes more sense anyway. So there's time for clearing and heating yet. In addition to the **** already going down.

Reactions: wxman1

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Definitely a debris signature with that tornado. The low levels are hot in central
Iowa anything is possible today.