***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
WU is technically still saying a 90% chance, but it's fine from almost an inch projected this morning to under a quarter inch now.

It could end up right (broken clocks and all) but i swear anytime anyone is in here citing a deviation from what's expected by WU it never pans out.

Reactions: CychiatricWard

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Anyone have an idea if that solid line of storm in west central Iowa is supposed to hold together? Between the derecho and ash borer, we no longer have large trees around us to come down, but that line looks mean if it holds together, regardless.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
It could end up right (broken clocks and all) but i swear anytime anyone is in here citing a deviation from what's expected by WU it never pans out.
IMO I think that's because WU actually tries to forecast precipitation totals rather than just precipitation chance. We may end up getting more than the tenth they are saying, but bigger picture is that it's saying the total is trending downward from earlier today.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Radar indicated tornado just outside Minden...again. That's terrible if actually on the ground
Before the last one, other than it was a good day for tornadoes, I don't believe there was much of an official Warning. See this Tweet about Minden, anticipating what was happening or about to, on the ground, but not yet apparent on the radar:

talks about “pattern recognition.”

I thought maybe it was possibly less visible on radar because it was a wedge tornado:

From this NWS page, the Minden tornado was classified with the Shelby County one

But on that same page it wasn't classified with the Treynor-McClelland one, which was considered dissipated, at about the same time the Minden one formed, also near McClelland.

Reactions: aauummm and t-noah

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Below are three YouTube videos of the Minden tornado someone sent to me.

I haven't looked at them for awhile, but the first two are shorter, and the third captures a longer sequence (10 minutes).

I'll add some brief notes from what I recall.

Here is someone driving in from the north, as the tornado hits. I-80 is 2 miles north.

I believe this is south of Minden (and the second part of the video is on Lincoln NE).

This captures more of the entire sequence, but less close up. See more of the shape shifting (on east side, out?, on its way out of Minden?). IIRC might have been driving in from the north, but decided to turn around, maybe some of this is from I-80.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah