***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Looks like Wednesday will be our one day break from crazy wind.

I was just having this conversation with a buddy the other day. It seems like the last 2-3 years if it's at all warm it's 30 mph+ winds all spring. Has it always been like that? We just couldn't remember the wind being consistently this bad up until a few years ago.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I was just having this conversation with a buddy the other day. It seems like the last 2-3 years if it's at all warm it's 30 mph+ winds all spring. Has it always been like that? We just couldn't remember the wind being consistently this bad up until a few years ago.

I would say that is scientifically correct. It takes a lot of energy to push warm air north during March and April. Lots of energy generally correlates to a lot of wind. This is beyond me but also El Niño is still present and currently dying out so I wonder if the last gasps of that pattern have any effect on wind patterns.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
sure doesn’t seem like it’s going to be warm enough in central Iowa by this evening to brew anything up. High of 60 today.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
sure doesn’t seem like it’s going to be warm enough in central Iowa by this evening to brew anything up. High of 60 today.

This is a cold core setup for Iowa. Don’t let your guard completely down based on what it looks like and feels like. It’s all about what’s going on above you.