***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
It was bizarre. You could look in about 3 different directions and see bright blue skys. But the rain just sat over Indianola for a good 2 hours and poured.
We were traveling back from the east and I was checking the weather a couple hours out from Des Moines to see what we might run into when we got closer. Saw that cell sitting over Indianola. Got to around Mitchellville and checked again and that darn thing was still sitting there. Really odd.

Last edited:

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Doesn't that mean we're more likely (58-60%) to have less than normal rainfall over that period? How does that improve the severe drought conditions?

Or am I illiterate?
There is some probability of having statistically normal rainfall as well. It appears from the graphic that is around 33%, so essentially you have a 74% probability of normal to above normal rainfall. As far as improving on severe drought, I would assume you could have some degree lesser than normal rainfall and still improve upon a severe drought, so that number is probably even a little higher.

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
There is some probability of having statistically normal rainfall as well. It appears from the graphic that is around 33%, so essentially you have a 74% probability of normal to above normal rainfall. As far as improving on severe drought, I would assume you could have some degree lesser than normal rainfall and still improve upon a severe drought, so that number is probably even a little higher.
Got it, makes sense.

Reactions: cyfanatic