***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
West Des Moines needs to figure their sirens out ASAP.
Urbandale went off as well. My in-laws live over by ryder corner and called me asking why the sirens were going off. having issues like this cause people to not trust the sirens are a legit warning.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Urbandale went off as well. My in-laws live over by ryder corner and called me asking why the sirens were going off. having issues like this cause people to not trust the sirens are a legit warning.

It’s funny how people get so bent out of shape over sirens going off. The worst thing that happens is you’re extra aware and extra safe.

The people that complain about the sirens are the same people that go to the grocery store and an item doesn’t scan so they think they should get it for free.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
It’s funny how people get so bent out of shape over sirens going off. The worst thing that happens is you’re extra aware and extra safe.

The people that complain about the sirens are the same people that go to the grocery store and an item doesn’t scan so they think they should get it for free.
"The sirens are going off, I better check my phone and see what's going on."

Followed by either "Oh ****, better get to shelter" or "Looks like it doesn't affect me, I'll get back to what I was doing".

Sure is a difficult concept for some people to grasp. Those 30 seconds must be pretty valuable to them.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines

If sirens go off when there isn’t a tornado I’m not going wake up my kids up and bring them to the basement unless I’m seeing more legit info on TV or social media. Kind of sad if you think about it that sirens are the least reliable source of information.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyByrd

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If sirens go off when there isn’t a tornado I’m not going wake up my kids up and bring them to the basement unless I’m seeing more legit info on TV or social media. Kind of sad if you think about it that sirens are the least reliable source of information.

The primary purpose of sirens is for people who are outside and need to get to shelter. And for those people, high winds can be just as much of an overall risk as a tornado given the broader area those winds apply to.

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
The primary purpose of sirens is for people who are outside and need to get to shelter. And for those people, high winds can be just as much of an overall risk as a tornado given the broader area those winds apply to.
This. People forget that the sirens are NOT designed to alert people indoors, they're for those outside.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

The sirens going off for no reason caused confusion. It didn't alert anything. It went off for a minute and then stopped.

Reactions: Letterkenny

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
There were some high straight line winds around Winterset which would make sense for the sirens in that area. The ones in Urbandale were by mistake, which caused confusion.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Nah, the worst thing that happens is people start to ignore them as false alarms or being overly cautious, and then they're hit with a dangerous storm.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

Some of the people who complain about sirens understand human behavior and know that misusing or overusing sirens without any actual severe weather following trains people to ignore them, which is actually bad.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Some of the people who complain about sirens understand human behavior and know that misusing or overusing sirens without any actual severe weather following trains people to ignore them, which is actually bad.
If they go off when they're not supposed to I agree, but if it's just because people don't want to be warned about potentially dangerous things that aren't tornados then I disagree.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
To clarify, I was not upset/annoyed that the sirens went off. I was just really confused why they were going off when I had no other warnings/notifications on my phone.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Good thing your phone alarm will blast if there is a tornado. Hard to miss.

• Disagree
Reactions: WartburgClone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Sirens are for people outside. Do you make your kids sleep outside? Just because you aren’t outside doesn’t mean other people aren’t. Selfish.