***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
As a ride-it-out-on-the-porch-with-a-busch-light guy, it truly breaks my heart to think about what he will miss out on if he can't figure out a way to address his anxiety.
I am as well, but I admit the 2020 derecho still gives me a little PTSD. Like an idiot, I watched 10 trees drop on and around my house from my living and dining room windows. I still have a few very large trees on the west side of the house and I worry about them every time the wind gets strong.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
RIP to those cars who tried to drive through the water at Hickman and Merle Hay.

Every year they stress the importance of not doing this yet people still can't help themselves.

Reactions: RagingCloner

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Iowa, where we don't need a total solar eclipse for it to be really dark during the day.

Wondering when I should go home to check basement and sump pump. Currently between weather events.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm just trying to save myself some cash by avoiding the counseling that would be required if my son gets stuck on a bus during a bad storm. Kid got his mother's fear of storms. As a ride-it-out-on-the-porch-with-a-busch-light guy, it truly breaks my heart to think about what he will miss out on if he can't figure out a way to address his anxiety.
My daughter has/had crippling anxiety over storms. Even rain or a cloud that she didn't like would basically be paralyzing for her.

We got her some counselling and medication and that has helped immensely, days like today are still really tough but she's able to get through your average thunderstorm without sheer and utter panic anymore. Might be worth looking into. It's just so hard to watch them go through it from the outside.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Reactions: Jer

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
This site is awesome! I just downloaded the app and am using this from now on. What model is the best to use for this?

When given a choice, ECMWF (European model) is usually a good choice, particularly for larger-area things.

When you get to near-term (what's happening this afternoon?) or thunderstorms, looking at the NAM and HRRR can be good. Those update more rapidly and include convection (e.g., thunderstorms).

• Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Good news - my upper pond is full again

Bad news - the lower pond is overflowing and almost over the driveway and we lost another big tree.

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpeg
    IMG_7746.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7749.jpeg
    IMG_7749.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 79

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
For those that have kids with storm anxiety. I used to have anxiety about storms as a kid, but then KCRG came to my school one year and taught us about the weather. I was hooked and learned what I could. Maybe understanding storms will help with the anxiety some?

Reactions: Nothingman

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Since it sounds like the main event is supposed to hit central Iowa around 3pm today, I wonder if schools will still dismiss at normal time. If they do, it will be a total mess.
Welp, just got the answer to my own question. Ankeny schools are dismissing 2 hours early today.