***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
Thankfully my workplace announced an early closure at 2 PM to allow staff to make it home before inclement weather. This is a relief, as I have to pick up all of my kids as my husband is at the hospital working until 8 PM. I had already requested to leave at 3 PM, but this will avoid resentment from those still here keeping us open until our normal time.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sunny as can be and humid as heck right now south of Des Moines.

I just stepped outside because we've somehow got a SVR warning just to the east but it's still cloudy and felt almost cool. Very weird. Pretty breeze out of the SE which is....not usual.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Wow. Left work around 11ish because they said we could work from home if we wanted because of the storms. Email went out around 12:30p by one of my department VPs that our CEO went around and said they wanted the building cleared by 1p because of the storms coming.

• Wow
Reactions: ISULibrarian

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Today seems similar to May 27, 1995. Might have more than 9 tornado's today however. Hopefully 13 don't die. Don't need that.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Friendly reminder to those in the earlier path, weather radios are great, charge your cell phones/power banks and for the littles (and yourself honestly), have shoes and bike helmets ready if you'll be going to a basement or interior space. And any critical prescriptions/meds close at hand.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I will never stop being grateful to past me for closely examing GIS data when we picked our lot to build. It's lower in the neighborhood so about half the rainwater funnels through our yard but we are significantly higher than surrounding area. 9 yrs in which includes some big 2018 flooding and to our knowledge, we've never heard the sump pump run.
You should probably plug it in….

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
Friendly reminder to those in the earlier path, weather radios are great, charge your cell phones/power banks and for the littles (and yourself honestly), have shoes and bike helmets ready if you'll be going to a basement or interior space. And any critical prescriptions/meds close at hand.
Currently sitting here in my office charging my phone. Just wishing I had a better idea of where we had flashlights at home.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I also keep my cat's carrier down in the basement for things like tornado warnings. If **** hit the fan, i'd rather put him in that and not have to worry about him running.

Reactions: cowgirl836

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
It seemed like June was more tornado season when I was a kid. I don't remember there even being severe storms during the school year. It was always in summer it seemed.
There was severe weather during school all the time, it’s just that 95% of the time it happens after 3pm which is when school is out.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
I know some discussions on this thread didn't like sirens going off... but today, if the sirens are sounding, please take them seriously. The vast, vast majority of us will not be directly impacted by a tornado. But these storms are forecasted to move very quickly. Be prepared to take shelter if necessary. And hopefully any tornados that do form will not impact any structures.

The NWS doesn't issue a PDS tornado watch very often. This is a day to take the weather seriously.