Official Apology Thread: Has the rot set in?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Remember when everybody was crapping on the Okie St win? Just another case of overreaction to one game and for some reason our fans listening to Hawkeye fans.

ISU does not have a great win. But ISU is playing well and has everything in front of them. Night game at Trice vs KU. Things are good.

Edit: meant to say Okie St. win, not loss.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
**** off. You are being a ****. Capitol C.

I just dont understand why some of you people are so goddamn sensitive to fans criticizing the team or coaches.

Let me help you out… some fans use this site to vent frustration. Deal with it. Not everyone wants to experience ISU athletics and CF exactly the same way you do.

IT IS ALRIGHT TO CRITICIZE THE TEAM AND COACHES.

Again… **** off.
Wow. Read your post and then tell me which one of us is being sensitive.

Now let me help YOU out.

Matt Campbell is the greatest coach in Iowa State's sorry football history. Only 3 times has ISU EVER started out 4-1 in conference play (2023, 2020, 2017) and all three are under Campbell. That's the same Matt Campbell who's been voted Big 12 Coach of the Year three times in seven years.

Does that mean Campbell is above criticism. Of course not. But for 'fans' to say it's time to dump him after we lose a game we should have won is beyond stupid.

I'll spare you the name calling.

Last edited:

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I'll tentatively say I was wrong. Just hope we can pick up a win or two in this next, difficult 4 game stretch.

Debbie Downer incoming....

I'm sure the gambling stuff exaggerated the September struggles this year, but they are so damn frustrating every season. Should have easily been at least 1-1 against Ohio & Iowa. With the new landscape of college football, we need to figure out who we are during Spring & Summer. Not mid-October.
So in other words, being tied for 1st in the Big XII at the end of October when we were picked in the bottom half preseason just isn't going to cut it, correct?

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Wow. Read your post and then tell me which one of us is being sensitive.

Now let me help YOU out.

Matt Campbell is the greatest coach in Iowa State's sorry football history. Only 3 times has ISU EVER started out 4-1 in conference play all (2023, 2020, 2017) and all of three are under Campbell. That's the same Matt Campbell who's been voted Big 12 Coach of the Year three times in seven years.

Does that mean Campbell is above criticism. Of course not. But for 'fans' to say it's time to dump him after we lose a game we should have won is beyond stupid.

I'll spare you the name calling.
Do not move the goalposts. This is not what the poll question was.

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
I think most of us agree that forums such as this are the place to discuss, celebrate, and vent on the team's performance. After the Ohio loss I was disappointed and worried about the the season to come. However those proclaiming "hot seat" status and starting two week "rot" polls do not appreciate the long and difficult history of ISU football. You don't get rid of a head coach and staff who are responsible for the best era of Cyclone football without giving them the time to fix things. The fact that those responsible for the rot and ruin postings seem to appear and almost revel in the negative results make me suspicious of their true motives.

This is a young team. The next four weeks will likely bring some negative results. The loud complainers will be back. Use the long look....we've improved and if we retain our young players the future looks promising.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
1. I've said plenty of stupid **** on this board and I've taken a lot of crap for it. So it's fair to take some **** for the original thread.

2. Was it understandable to be upset and worried after the Ohio game? Of course. It was a crappy and disappointing game.

3. Was it WAY too early to think about firing Campbell? Yes. For many reasons, but a big one was that he had an almost entirely new offensive staff. Fans owed them some time to figure things out.

4. There's a reason why coaches don't last long at most schools----everyone starts to get restless. We focus on the crappy Septembers and the boring offense and don't focus on the 5 winning Big 12 records (no one has done that here), the 5 bowl games in a row (no one has done that here), and the 2nd best Big 12 record from 2017-2021. It's easy to focus on the bad and not realize that almost every program has bad. But sometimes we really need to look at the good and there has been so much good. And when you look at this team playing so many young kids, it is easy to think that the next few years can be really great as well.

I hope we are starting this same thread every Saturday night for the next 4 weeks.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Trust Campbell. Best Coach in Iowa State History.
I ranked them Bruce-Majors-Campbell-Stapleton in the past due to Bruce going 8-3 three years in a row and success at OSU, Majors building up something from nothing and winning a Natty at Pitt but I put Campbell above Majors now. Last year is his only blemish and if he can win one of the next three, this year is a success with a ton of young talent coming back. As of today, I can't see them beating K-State in Manhattan but the other 3 are winnable. HIs decision of changing his OC & OL coaches and finally admitting he needed a dedicated ST coach has been key. This has been a transition in his coaching career and the gambling fiasco has turned out to be addition by subtraction. Let's just keep Brecht healthy the rest of the way.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I ranked them Bruce-Majors-Campbell-Stapleton in the past due to Bruce going 8-3 three years in a row and success at OSU, Majors building up something from nothing and winning a Natty at Pitt but I put Campbell above Majors now. Last year is his only blemish and if he can win one of the next three, this year is a success with a ton of young talent coming back. As of today, I can't see them beating K-State in Manhattan but the other 3 are winnable. HIs decision of changing his OC & OL coaches and finally admitting he needed a dedicated ST coach has been key. This has been a transition in his coaching career and the gambling fiasco has turned out to be addition by subtraction. Let's just keep Brecht healthy the rest of the way.

All great coaches.

Reactions: NENick

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Solid

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
3. Was it WAY too early to think about firing Campbell? Yes. For many reasons, but a big one was that he had an almost entirely new offensive staff. Fans owed them some time to figure things out.

4. There's a reason why coaches don't last long at most schools----everyone starts to get restless. We focus on the crappy Septembers and the boring offense and don't focus on the 5 winning Big 12 records (no one has done that here), the 5 bowl games in a row (no one has done that here), and the 2nd best Big 12 record from 2017-2021.
I agree with what you're saying, but I'll expand just a little bit on a couple things.

3. There was a new offensive staff because Campbell fired the old one because they were so bad. Not a great endorsement, but props to Campbell for recognizing a change was needed.

4. Can't we have both? The slow September starts have taken the top off the potential Campbells' teams have had. If we win games against Iowa, Lafayette, and Ohio does that mean we'll lose October Big 12 games?

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Can't we all just get along and help each other ... like the Woodworkers thread. Now that's some encouraging and complimentary bantering right there. Reading it is like watching a Bob Ross show.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree with what you're saying, but I'll expand just a little bit on a couple things.

3. There was a new offensive staff because Campbell fired the old one because they were so bad. Not a great endorsement, but props to Campbell for recognizing a change was needed.

4. Can't we have both? The slow September starts have taken the top off the potential Campbells' teams have had. If we win games against Iowa, Lafayette, and Ohio does that mean we'll lose October Big 12 games?

That staff he fired had the most successful 5 years in school history. They were not great in 2021 and bad in 2022. He fired a lot of them. He did what he needed to do when he needed to do it. (You'll remember last year's posts about how he would never fire his staff and freaking out because he wasn't throwing them under the bus at every press conference).

Of course, we all want to go 12-0. I'd love to have better Septembers. It's weird that we haven't---ironically except for last year. But that isn't a reason to fire Campbell. And the original 'Rot' post (no matter what anyone claims now) was advocating for getting rid of him.

More than anything, a lot of it was a 7 year itch sort of thing, I think. That's why I think Campbell was interested in that stupid USC job. And that's why fans wanted (or want) to run him off now. I just think we should look at the whole picture. And I also think we owed him some grace after he did what he wanted and fired the offensive staff.

Reactions: Ankency

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Do not move the goalposts. This is not what the poll question was.
Sorry, I just remember when you described Campbell as "extremely arrogant" and you referred to his program as a "turd circling the drain".

Forgive me if I have more faith in a 3-time Big 12 Coach of the Year than I do in your critique of this man.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Sorry, I just remember when you described Campbell as "extremely arrogant" and you referred to his program as a "turd circling the drain".

Forgive me if I have more faith in a 3-time Big 12 Coach of the Year than I do in your critique of this man.
Don’t you have better things to do on a Sunday morning than sorting back through posts to prove a point.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
That staff he fired had the most successful 5 years in school history. They were not great in 2021 and bad in 2022. He fired a lot of them. He did what he needed to do when he needed to do it. (You'll remember last year's posts about how he would never fire his staff and freaking out because he wasn't throwing them under the bus at every press conference).

Of course, we all want to go 12-0. I'd love to have better Septembers. It's weird that we haven't---ironically except for last year. But that isn't a reason to fire Campbell. And the original 'Rot' post (no matter what anyone claims now) was advocating for getting rid of him.

More than anything, a lot of it was a 7 year itch sort of thing, I think. That's why I think Campbell was interested in that stupid USC job. And that's why fans wanted (or want) to run him off now. I just think we should look at the whole picture. And I also think we owed him some grace after he did what he wanted and fired the offensive staff.
What didn’t make sense to me after the Ohio game was exactly this. Why fire the staff, including long time friends, and then do the same **** that they did that got them fired? I was fully expecting the offensive line to look violent, and to see creativity in the playcalling. And it didn’t happen through game 3 and that certainly had me concerned.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Up until a month ago they were something like 3-13 the last 2 calendar years. Let's not act like frustrations boiling over just appeared becuase they lost to Ohio. Things had been going south since October 2021.

It appears Campbell has adapted and took the training wheels off Roco and now here we are, things are looking up again.

Help Support Us

Become a patron