****Official Iowa State-Texas Postgame thread****

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Didn't see one so I figured I'd start it.

Today was not a great day to be a Cyclone. We played even with Texas but shot ourselves in the foot and had several key injuries.

Hopefully LJ is okay.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Re: ****Official Iowa State-Texas Postgame thread

There's a lot of upside to this team. Hopefully they learned their lesson tonight about spotting teams 10 points in the first quarter based on mistakes. I'm not to positive about that based on this being the 4th game of the year, after a bye week, we should have not made the mistakes we had. At this point in the year, that isn't something you work out, it's something you get used to, because it's not going to stop.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Turnovers and stupid-*** penalties killed us tonight. Yardage-wise, we were even-up. But penalties killed us. We might have even made up the turnovers if we wouldn't have had so many dumb penalties.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010

We earned the 'L', but Texa$ certainly didn't earn the 'W'. I have no idea how much a BigXII officiating crew costs now-a-days, but it really pays off.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008

Penalties and turnovers killed the team. Take away the turnovers and penalties and ISU has a shot at the end. This team is going to win some games and be competitive. They have got to find a way to force turnovers. 1 interception in 4 games and it was by a defensive lineman is not good.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com

Worst coached team in a long time. We come out flat every game, penalties, turnovers, mistakes, missed blocks, dropped passes. 4 games with same mistakes == coaching sucks.

I'm not calling for firing any coach or anything like that. But, the coaches need to fix this. It's a problem, it's their job to identify the problems, teach the players techniques, motivate them to be ready to play and to adjust the gameplan to minimize the mistakes.

Next week will be a huge test for our offense. I think our D can hold Baylor to under 35, but the offense is going to have to figure out how to score consistently.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA

We're 3-1 through the first third of the season. How many had predicted this team to have this record (or better) at this point in the season? I had us at 2-2 with losses to Iowa and Texas.

There is still 2/3 of the season to be played after tonight.

Iowa State is still a good football team. They just aren't "there" yet. I still feel better about this team than I did after the Texas loss in '07.

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com

We're 3-1 through the first third of the season. How many had predicted this team to have this record (or better) at this point in the season? I had us at 2-2 with losses to Iowa and Texas.

There is still 2/3 of the season to be played after tonight.

Iowa State is still a good football team. They just aren't "there" yet. I still feel better about this team than I did after the Texas loss in '07.

I predicted 4-0 actually, and if we took care of the damn ball we might be there. :realmad:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I hate hate hate that this happened against UT, but we needed this to happen for coaching purposes. I still love this team! The D really did pretty well! It's great that they left Jantz in for the experience. Nice job UT. Go on and play well through the rest of the season to make it look like we lost to a quality team.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008

I hate hate hate that this happened against UT, but we needed this to happen for coaching purposes. I still love this team! The D really did pretty well! It's great that they left Jantz in for the experience. Nice job UT. Go on and play well through the rest of the season to make it look like we lost to a quality team.

I thought we'd be 2-2 right now, and we easily could be 0-4. We should be thrilled we're at 3-1 heading to a Baylor team that just lost a tough one. We win one of the next three, and we are right on schedule.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

First let's stop blaming the officials.

We beat ourselves, you can't turn the ball over and allow blocked punts and beat a team as talented as Texas.

CPR made his point to his players tonight, making them go for every 4th down. And playing starters until there was very little time left. Hopefully this move won't cost us our best lineman and CB for the rest season.

The first quarter issues could be related to the players being to amped up. If it was a coaching problem it would continue throughout the game. It still needs to be fixed. But I wouldn't blame the coaches for this issue.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

Worst coached team in a long time. We come out flat every game, penalties, turnovers, mistakes, missed blocks, dropped passes. 4 games with same mistakes == coaching sucks.

I'm not calling for firing any coach or anything like that. But, the coaches need to fix this. It's a problem, it's their job to identify the problems, teach the players techniques, motivate them to be ready to play and to adjust the gameplan to minimize the mistakes.

Next week will be a huge test for our offense. I think our D can hold Baylor to under 35, but the offense is going to have to figure out how to score consistently.

1) The total opposite, team comes out TO firesd up...hence the penalties and slow starts...

2) Offensive coordinator to me is a big concern...saying the defensive coordinator sucks is stupid...he had the defense out the whole game basically...defense wasn't that bad. Special teams field goals is a concern...Mahoney and Guyer just aren't good enough, VDK is a beast though

3) Refer to 1, they are motivated...just need to keep it a little milder on the field..as in if the d gets a big hit but they still convert don't act like you've just won the super bowl

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I'm pretty down on the coaching staff tonight. This lesson should have been learned in the first 3 games. We got lucky. One of the favorite lines on this board always has been, "We could easily be X-0 right now." Well, we could easily be 0-4 right now if we hadn't gotten some lucky breaks. This team should have known stupid mistakes will kill you against Texas.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

We beat ourselves, you can't turn the ball over and allow blocked punts and beat a team as talented as Texas.

CPR made his point to his players tonight, making them go for every 4th down. And playing starters until there was very little time left. Hopefully this move won't cost us our best lineman and CB for the rest season.

The first quarter issues could be related to the players being to amped up. If it was a coaching problem it would continue throughout the game. It still needs to be fixed. But I wouldn't blame the coaches for this issue.

Nobody is blaming the officials for the loss; they are just stating they were incompetent.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

The officials didn't cost us the game or anything. But they were horrible.

Complaining that the officiating was bad doesn't automatically equal saying the officials cost us the game.

CydeKick

Jul 13, 2011

I just got home from work and from the sounds of it, I didn't miss much. I heard we had a lot of injured players???