*** Official IOWA STATE vs #10 Baylor Game(Day) Thread ***

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Rewatched the game. Jaz played really solid D in the 2nd half. Shut down Bridges and guarded Flagler well without fouling, even though Flagler was doing everything he could to try and draw a foul.

I know Jaz had a couple miscues, and that will keep some from noticing what he was doing well.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Rewatched the game. Jaz played really solid D in the 2nd half. Shut down Bridges and guarded Flagler well without fouling, even though Flagler was doing everything he could to try and draw a foul.

I know Jaz had a couple miscues, and that will keep some from noticing what he was doing well.
Watson played really good defense as well - his 3 blocks were all on perimeter shots including back-to-back possessions just when ISU started its run in the second half

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
We destroyed them on the boards and it had a big effect. Thamba was really frustrated out there.
Only caught bits and pieces today live so rewatched tonight. We were definitely in Thambas head - particularly Ward after that big block he had. Was beautiful to see. Baylor is probably more talented at every position on the floor and this is 3 solid victories over them. We just wanted it more tonight. Saw Walters tweet that we outrebounded them 30-5 in the second half. That’s just insane.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Program has fundamentally changed. Some of it is personnel. Going deeper we might not have 5-6 guys who can create their own offense but we have that many who can offensive rebound.

Rebounding is more of a mindset. It's about intellegence (tracking the ball, getting good position, timing) and tenacity more than talent (ie Dennis Rodman). If there's one thing this team has been all season it's tenacious and effort driven.
Really? @VeloClone?

He only comments or dumbs negative comments if they are dumb negative comments.

Hardly.

It never fails to have several notifications from (mostly) the same 5 people that troll through threads and ONLY make comments or tag posts where I've commented on a negative occurrence on a team, or player. These same people never comment or tag a post with which I say something positive, and by that I mean whether they like, hate, agree, or disagree with that statement. They literally go through threads retroactively. Seriously, wtf does that?

There are posters I like and posters I dislike but I'm not surfing threads simply to single out posters and dislike everything they say. I really don't care who likes or dislikes my posts but find the act of someone doing it, regardless of who they do it to, to be crazy. Talk about telling someone they are in their head without saying, you know, they are in their head.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Rebounding is more of a mindset. It's about intellegence (tracking the ball, getting good position, timing) and tenacity more than talent (ie Dennis Rodman). If there's one thing this team has been all season it's tenacious and effort driven.

Hardly.

It never fails to have several notifications from (mostly) the same 5 people that troll through threads and ONLY make comments or tag posts where I've commented on a negative occurrence on a team, or player. These same people never comment or tag a post with which I say something positive, and by that I mean whether they like, hate, agree, or disagree with that statement. They literally go through threads retroactively. Seriously, wtf does that?

There are posters I like and posters I dislike but I'm not surfing threads simply to single out posters and dislike everything they say. I really don't care who likes or dislikes my posts but find the act of someone doing it, regardless of who they do it to, to be crazy. Talk about telling someone they are in their head without saying, you know, they are in their head.
I'll be honest. I am one of those people that will go through threads retroactively. I do this because I'm catching up from a busy day at work or from doing whatever my wife told me that I had to do.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I'm confused. Did we turn the ball over frequently? I know it looks ugly, but besides once when Lipsey threw a really bad pass after passing midcourt I don't remember a turnover off of the press

You don't seem confused. "I know it looks ugly"...yup, I think you got it.

It looks ugly because it IS ugly. Despite facing it numerous times over a several game stretch, players either don't seem to know what to do or don't appear confident enough to do it. It's akin to a hot player nailing several contested/poor shots in a game versus taking several good ones because they are cold. Which do you think is more predictive of future success, the same player taking good shots or the taking questionable ones due to randomly being hot? Basically our press breaking, while technically 'effective' was a disaster and If they continue to do what they did yesterday it will be a problem at the NCAAs.

It would be nice for the team to look mentally prepared for the press and handle the execution more crisply. From Lipsey not lobbing shakey pass, from Jaz not looking petrified to take a few dribbles, to half the team taking 2-3 seconds the opponent is pressing, the execution and awareness was lacking. If I saw it, and you saw it, I guarantee our next several opponents saw the same thing.

The other part of struggling to break it is that it slows down our offense. We got lucky on several possessions where we took 7 ish seconds to get the ball past half court, then fell into our 2nd half habit of passing around the perimeter. On twob posseasions that come to mind Lipsey got fouled late in the shot clock, while Holmes had a nice drive with 1-2 seconds. Again, great result, but typically, when those same things happen, we struggle to get quality shots. I think breaking it more successfully and have more movement, being entry passes or drives earlier n the shot clock will be keys to advancing these next few weeks.

Really other than the press (shaky), Jaz (ineffective outside of defense), and some defensive sagging that led to some open threes, we played extremely well. Guys played within themselves (Jones), Kalscheur was money, Lipsey was outstanding, shot selection was pretty good, and the rebounding tenacity/effort was one for the ages.

Something else that stuck out to me was Watson. He is improving his defensive awareness and has the makings to be our best defender next year. His athleticism, footwork, and lanky frame make him an effective one on one defender. He's just missing a little bit of awareness (spacing) as he's been cleaner (less cheap fouls) in recent games. Probably my early pick to make a big jump next year.

• Dumb
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Watching this now.

A team going triangle and 2 is also something I wouldn't have guess to see done on this ISU team.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Only caught bits and pieces today live so rewatched tonight. We were definitely in Thambas head - particularly Ward after that big block he had. Was beautiful to see. Baylor is probably more talented at every position on the floor and this is 3 solid victories over them. We just wanted it more tonight. Saw Walters tweet that we outrebounded them 30-5 in the second half. That’s just insane.
Yeah, wasn't it Thamba who went up for a shot three feet out and ended up basically tossing it over his back shoulder without looking? That shot screamed "I'm intimidated".

Reactions: twincyties

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

He’s an analytics/advanced stats type of player. Team just does better when he is on the floor.