*** Official IOWA STATE vs Ohio Game(Day) Thread ***

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
My take is this: I suspect CMC's main goal yesterday wasn't winning the game; it was getting the team ready for conference. In order to be more successful than last year, we need to establish a running game. To do that, we have to commit to it. I would say it didn't work given the stats on the running game. My expectation is that going forward, the coaches will resign themselves that the running game is a work in progress, to put it charitably. and will have to try to throw over the defense. With a freshman quarterback and unproven receivers, it could be another long year. Perhaps the new ofensive coaches are making progress that isn't obvious on the field yet.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
My take is this: I suspect CMC's main goal yesterday wasn't winning the game; it was getting the team ready for conference. In order to be more successful than last year, we need to establish a running game. To do that, we have to commit to it. I would say it didn't work given the stats on the running game. My expectation is that going forward, the coaches will resign themselves that the running game is a work in progress, to put it charitably. and will have to try to throw over the defense. With a freshman quarterback and unproven receivers, it could be another long year. Perhaps the new ofensive coaches are making progress that isn't obvious on the field yet.

this is sick

• Wow
Reactions: joefrog

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If the 3rd game of the year is being used as a practice then a very big important conversation needs to take place.

I get trying to establish the run but at some point it's time to go win the game any way you can.

Reactions: agentbear and legi

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Might make sense to do this in a 200ish game mlb season or 100ish game nba season.

You can never do this in a sport that has 12-13 games and no preseason.

Hoxsuck

Nov 27, 2020
The sad part is that anyone that has ever coached this game knows that he ground and pound only works when your dudes can outperform their dudes. If you are running out of a spread formation, you need 5 people to execute a block to gain yards. When you bring your boys into the box, you now have more defenders as well to block. Maybe now you need to execute 7 or 8 blocks correctly to gain positive yards. The odds just add up after a while. We don’t have better dudes, need to give our athletes space to do something instead of just making it even tougher. This staff knows this, just doesn’t want to admit it. Coaches are stubborn. This crew especially so.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The sad part is that anyone that has ever coached this game knows that he ground and pound only works when your dudes can outperform their dudes. If you are running out of a spread formation, you need 5 people to execute a block to gain yards. When you bring your boys into the box, you now have more defenders as well to block. Maybe now you need to execute 7 or 8 blocks correctly to gain positive yards. The odds just add up after a while. We don’t have better dudes, need to give our athletes space to do something instead of just making it even tougher. This staff knows this, just doesn’t want to admit it. Coaches are stubborn. This crew especially so.

I get the general idea just having watched other teams run out of the spread but this is a great way to explain it, especially for people like myself who never blocked on an offensive line.

Reactions: Hoxsuck

Help Support Us

Become a patron