Official: KSU vs. ISU Postgame Thread

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Am I the only person that thinks it's extremely unhealthy to take a loss as badly as some people here are?

I agree and have tried for too many years. Guess it is age catching up to me. It seems the guys that take it the worst are young or older. I would be in the older range.

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
CPR needs to go out and find himself a ♪♫ T o U c H d O w N ! ♪♫ QB that totally "get's" his system. And a set of receivers... and an offense & defense etc... The point I'm trying to make is this...
The coaching staff inherited a team (period.) They are doing the best that they can, playing the hand they've been delt. There are many players on this team who just don't fit with the program. That's not to say, they never will. But these are the cards that the staff has, and they are doing the best job they can do. If anything folks, we should be a little bit happier. Why? Because there has been improvement. I see improvement in speed, tackling, and judgement making. They seem to me to be improving no matter who we play. Give Coach Rhodes & staff the time to recruit, and put there talents to the test. Personally, I already see it working. The end results might not be working to your liking, but just give them a chance, he'll get the job done! It's been only 5 games, and it's going to take some more. Never rule out any of our remaining opponents people. Like I said, ISU will get the job done!
As ever... GO CYCLONES!

Reactions: CYVADER

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
CPR needs to go out and find himself a ♪♫ T o U c H d O w N ! ♪♫ QB that totally "get's" his system. And a set of receivers... and an offense & defense etc... The point I'm trying to make is this...
The coaching staff inherited a team (period.) They are doing the best that they can, playing the hand they've been delt. There are many players on this team who just don't fit with the program. That's not to say, they never will. But these are the cards that the staff has, and they are doing the best job they can do. If anything folks, we should be a little bit happier. Why? Because there has been improvement. I see improvement in speed, tackling, and judgement making. They seem to me to be improving no matter who we play. Give Coach Rhodes & staff the time to recruit, and put there talents to the test. Personally, I already see it working. The end results might not be working to your liking, but just give them a chance, he'll get the job done! It's been only 5 games, and it's going to take some more. Never rule out any of our remaining opponents people. Like I said, ISU will get the job done!
As ever... GO CYCLONES!

I pretty much agree.

Dan McCarney would have found 4 different ways to loose this game mostly in game management.

Chizik would have gotten the same result he got last year in Manhatten. We would have drove the field well, but not finished in the red zone.

We almost had this game tied...

I just wish we were in year 4 or 5 of the Rhoads era. It's going to take some time....

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
It was an exciting football game. This one sucks but I love it all the same.

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Hamilton seems like the only receiver from the past who has got the system. Williams has become a big play guy. The TE position had some catches and Catlett was just trying to make the big play. Which he did but then fumbled. Now you know why they are still recruiting at the WR position

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Hamilton seems like the only receiver from the past who has got the system. Williams has become a big play guy. The TE position had some catches and Catlett was just trying to make the big play. Which he did but then fumbled. Now you know why they are still recruiting at the WR position
Correct never can have to many WR's

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
It was an exciting football game. This one sucks but I love it all the same.
I wish I could be that way. I really do. I let it effect me way to much. Doesnt make either one of us a better fan just the way it is. My favorite game was a loss to OU back in the 80's. A loss but a wild wild game

AFlynn

Mar 29, 2009
Deer Park
Don't panic just yet. And don't jump off the ban wagon. I didn't see the game but heard and watched a little on the computer at work. Everyone knew at the beginning of the season that we would hit some road bumps, why does everybody forget this during the season? Should we have won this game, yes; would it have been a lot easier to make a bowl game if we won this game, yes! I'm not taking away that we let a game that needed to be won slip by us but don't jump ship just yet. It's a long season to go and a lot of things could change in a hurry. Hold the faith in these FIRST year coaches that they will have this team well oiled and tuned for Kansas. Yes, I know athletes don't read newspaper articles and blogs(everyone does, you can't get away from it!) but the ones that do don't need to see that the fan base has shut it down. The fan base at ISU has ALWAYS been a 12th man, don't change that now! Let it go and know that these guys will prepare harder after these kind of games for next week. HOLD THE FAITH!

How will the team bounce back emotionally? This will be a big step for the coaching staff.

Reactions: Rick

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm not putting this one on the coaches, or on any of the players. They played one hell of a game, and deserved to win.

They got beat by 3 freak plays:

1. KState converts 3 and goal from the 17, with the qb chucking it up for grabs at the last second and our db falling down.

2. The last touchdown for KSU, qb should have been sacked, somehow escapes and just whips it out there off balance and hits the guy right in stride.

3. The obvious one- the extra point

The pass interference with the ball thrown in the stands was ridiculous. I also think that KSU clearly jumped off their own players to block the xp.

I am going to wish (in vain) that people will give these kids a break. They lost a game where they played their hearts out, and they lost in devastating fashion. But I don't foresee them quitting....ever. Fans, don't quit on them.

Right on. These guys won't quit. This isn't last year's team, or any other team.

These are our guys. They refused to quit, and three crazy plays happened.

I'll be rarin' to go next week. So will the team. I don't have a doubt in the world that CPR won't have these guys believing that next week is possible.

Let's get Kansas!!!

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I wasn't able to watch the game, or listen to it on the radio today. I was able to listen to the call in show, which tends to point out all flaws of the team from the game. This week though, most people were saying the team played well enough to win, and only a couple of plays cost the game.

I'm thinking that this loss is being blown completely out of proportion here. Yes, it stings. Yes, it makes the road to a bowl game harder. Yes, we only have a few more games that we have a good chance to win.

However, how many people actually thought we would be in a position to get to six wins this year? We won 2 games last year. A 3 time improvement with a new coach and new system seems a touch unreasonable to me.

minnclone99

Nov 22, 2006
Rompots
Totally agree. Wrote almost the exact same thing in the other thread. Catlett's fumble was the momentum killer as far as I am concerned. That is the shame of a game like this getting away - there were so many opportunities to have it go the other way.

I agree as well.

It was encouraging to see Arnaud checking down receivers then running if no one's open. That high lob pass was clearly per direction to quit chucking it so hard like he did against NDSU. It's pretty clear that Herman is taking Arnaud down to the studs and rebuilding him for this system.

The running game was great. Schwartz is a bad man. Nice to have some real depth at this position, unlike the past 5 years. Seeing our QB drag piles was great.

This game was a heartbreaker but was a fun game for a change up until the end. Showed signs of promise. Especially heart and hustle which was Arnaud, ARob, Williams, and Schwartz. The team looked to be having fun out there (for the most part).

Reactions: TexaClone

TexaClone

Sep 30, 2009
Austin, TX
I agree as well.

This game was a heartbreaker but was a fun game for a change up until the end. Showed signs of promise. Especially heart and hustle which was Arnaud, ARob, Williams, and Schwartz. The team looked to be having fun out there (for the most part).

Have to agree - They were playing hard and I never felt like we had just given up the whole thing - well at least until the PAT block at least..

If they can come back with heart we can play Kansas well and who knows at the end....

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
unfortunately, this is the type of fan that I've turned into in regards to football.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qdnka2J-yI"]YouTube - Major League 2 - Tanaka steals a HR[/ame]

BUT that being said, I thought before the season that we would win one game that we probably shouldn't and vice versa...this was the one we should've won but didn't...Hopefully we can still steal one...

Last edited:

Cyclone46

May 14, 2009
Charleston, SC
Right on. These guys won't quit. This isn't last year's team, or any other team.

These are our guys. They refused to quit, and three crazy plays happened.

I'll be rarin' to go next week. So will the team. I don't have a doubt in the world that CPR won't have these guys believing that next week is possible.

Let's get Kansas!!!

That is the best statement of this Blog. This isn't the same team. Today they had a similar result they have had in the past, but this isn't the same team as the past four years. They didn't give up. You can talk about venue, who was healthy, and go for two or not, but at the end of the day, our team faught hard the whole game despite some rough calls, stupid mental mistakes, and fluke plays by KSU. We didn't stop playing. Play this game again, and it could go either way.

We didn't get blown away today. That two minute drill was effective and fantastic. Give PR two years and that CyLuck will turn in our direction. I am confident in our future and we are on the right track. I haven't said that in years.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I just got back from KC. I'm not sure I can take anymore.

I'm with you, brother.

[ramble]I've been an ISU fan for awhile now. Not 15-30 years or anything like that, but long enough.

I thought I'd witnessed, in person, pretty much every way to inexplicably lose a game. Whether it be giving up an 11 point lead with 4 minutes left in the game at Toledo without Toledo's offense even taking the field, or seeing a pass picked off by Mizzou in the end zone in OT after a missed potential game winning chip-shot FG in regulation, or watching ISU get 30 first downs and not being forced to punt against A$M last year and still losing by 14 points.

I thought I'd seen it all. Alas, my beloved Cyclones showed me today in Arrowhead that I hadn't. I remember thinking in the back of my head while celebrating that unbelievable TD catch that "you know, we still have to get one more point here to get to OT.....Mahoney hasn't missed a single one in his career, so we're good. He's automatic."

Right after that miss......the guy in front of me turned around and said "We are......Iowa State." How true, my friend.....how true.[/ramble]

Reactions: kingcy

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
CYLUCK. Interesting. Maybe you should get a patent on that. It may come in handy someday. Hopefully soon.:smile::smile::smile:

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I'm with you, brother.

[ramble]I've been an ISU fan for awhile now. Not 15-30 years or anything like that, but long enough.

I thought I'd witnessed, in person, pretty much every way to inexplicably lose a game. Whether it be giving up an 11 point lead with 4 minutes left in the game at Toledo without Toledo's offense even taking the field, or seeing a pass picked off by Mizzou in the end zone in OT after a missed potential game winning chip-shot FG in regulation, or watching ISU get 30 first downs and not being forced to punt against A$M last year and still losing by 14 points.

I thought I'd seen it all. Alas, my beloved Cyclones showed me today in Arrowhead that I hadn't. I remember thinking in the back of my head while celebrating that unbelievable TD catch that "you know, we still have to get one more point here to get to OT.....Mahoney hasn't missed a single one in his career, so we're good. He's automatic."

Right after that miss......the guy in front of me turned around and said "We are......Iowa State." How true, my friend.....how true.[/ramble]

True story: I've been a fan for 30+ years. after the td, I hugged my 9 year old. I then told him, "watch, we will miss the pat." On the way home, I encouraged him to begin following other programs to avoid heartbreaking saturdays for the rest of his life.

Reactions: TexaClone

cyclonedcm

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
My wife made a great observation, "you feel anxious all during an Iowa State game"... she's right, I can't enjoy something good happening for fear what's going to happen next... I'm relieved when the game is over.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron