*** Official Texas Tech vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Went to downtown Ames bars after the game. Took all the small bottlesof Fireball, etc. I had leftover and put them on the table. Even put an empty one between the cleavage of one of the waitresses. She gave me this evil little smile. I told I was sorry and gave her a hug. They were real.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Read through the play by play for that game. ISU vs. Oklahoma PBP

So awful.

We let Spencer Rattler beat us.

Got down 24 to 7 at half.

Then garbage yards.

That was when I lost a lot of hope.
The OU CCG was a lot like the Prohm Purdue game for me. There was only 1 freaking way to get down ‘big’ - and they was if the coaches weren’t prepared and didn’t have the team prepared. The offense also looked clueless for much of that game, also (again) playing nervous and undisciplined, relying on a long shot come back to make it seem like a close gritty game - “those gosh darn Cyclones never give up!”

Holy hell I think I still have nightmares of those 4th quarter false starts (wasn’t it back to back!?) and the batsh*t insane Hail Mary random INT from Purdy on 3rd down when he could have just run for the 1st down, yet did not actually even know what down it was.

Ya know what would have been AWESOME? Preparing to WIN the CCG and actually take advantage of the opportunity! Actually winning 10 games.

Agree with others - that likely was the “peak”, during a Covid year that MANY teams threw in the towel for.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Pissing Positives onto a ****** day:
- the grass. The field looked fantastic today. The grounds crew genuinely is really good at what they do.
- the crowd. Everyone there was seemingly in the mess together.
- hot hands. Whoever got the patent for those is a god damn genius.
- the emotional moment between Ant and CMC. That was really cool. Can’t wait to cheer for him on Sunday's.
- the crowd during the times we went under center. Place recognized what was happening and made their approval known.
- hot chocolate vendors. Guys were working their asses off. I bet every 10 min I saw one of those guys going past me.
I like your list. Gonna add the band. I like that they seemed to let them wear whatever under the coats, probably to stay warm.

A huge bunch of them were going around the stadium, assumed it was the seniors. With the snow and ice all over the place, I inched along everywhere I went, but the hot chocolate dudes and the band were skillfully flitting around on the ice carrying heavy stuff.

Having my feet in the snow was really again the only cold problem, much like KU in 2013. I need to haul in a shovel next time.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfanisu and JM4CY

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Holy hell I think I still have nightmares of those 4th quarter false starts (wasn’t it back to back!?) and the batsh*t insane Hail Mary random INT from Purdy on 3rd down when he could have just run for the 1st down, yet did not actually even know what down it was.
That was a stupid play by Brock, but it was preceeded by our genius OC not getting the play call in on time so they were left scrambling around trying to get the play off before they got a penalty.

Campbell could have called a timeout also and settled them down when he saw the clock was about to run out, but he just stood there.

This was actually the play when I first starting questioning the competence of this coaching staff. They've really done nothing since that suggests they are improving in game strategy either.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Lineup and joefrog

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
does anyone know why Jace Gilbert didn’t play? I heard he was warming up but did not play. Nettles clearly isn’t the answer.
He missed the first short kick. I think he made the PAT so they were going back and forth a little.

ARCYCLONE

Nov 16, 2020
Arkansas
I've got a question. At the end of the TCU/Baylor game where TCU ran a running play with no timeouts and then started substituting their entire special teams players starting with 15 seconds left; why couldn't Baylor do a slow play substitution and let the clock run out (like TTech did to us forcing one of our timeouts)? The refs weren't standing over the center or even checking for Baylor substitutions. They just set the ball and got out of the way. Is there some rule about special teams or the last play of the game? BTW, I hate that late substitution rule as it's never worked in our favor.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
our
I've got a question. At the end of the TCU/Baylor game where TCU ran a running play with no timeouts and then started substituting their entire special teams players starting with 15 seconds left; why couldn't Baylor do a slow play substitution and let the clock run out (like TTech did to us forcing one of our timeouts)? The refs weren't standing over the center or even checking for Baylor substitutions. They just set the ball and got out of the way. Is there some rule about special teams or the last play of the game? BTW, I hate that late substitution rule as it's never worked in our favor.
good question. brent blum might know the answer to this

Hawkhunter

Nov 14, 2022

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

VIII. Late in the first half Team A is out of timeouts. A pass play on third down ends inbounds at the B-25 short of the line to gain with the game clock showing 0:10. Facing fourth down and three, Team A immediately hurries its field goal team onto the field. RULING: Team B should reasonably expect that Team A will attempt a field goal in this situation and should have its field-goal defense unit ready. The umpire will not stand over the ball, as there should be no issue of the defense being uncertain about the next play.

Hawkhunter

Nov 14, 2022
They could have.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
after hearing the post game show tonight, I’m almost convinced Matt is just cashing a check at this point. He liked the play calls, loves the players. I commend him for not throwing kids under the bus, but for ***** sake, at least act like you lost the game. If I had tuned in without knowing the score, I’d have thought we won. I’m starting to think the “Awe gee shucks, love the players, great men, good molding.” Is all he has to offer. He sure as **** has a lot of issues with game time decisions and saving time outs for when they might be needed, I told my wife when they took the 2nd time out, “That’s going to kill us.”
His legions of supporters believe he earned this right to be this way. Probably saw the real opportunity to get a good contract and ride it out.