Oklahoma game question - zone

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I know we have played some zone this season, but does anyone recall if Oklahoma played any zone defense against us?

Bilas mentioned that OU was switching 1-4 on screens which isn't exactly like playing zone, but isn't your standard man 2 man either.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I know we have played some zone this season, but does anyone recall if Oklahoma played any zone defense against us?

Bilas mentioned that OU was switching 1-4 on screens which isn't exactly like playing zone, but isn't your standard man 2 man either.

actually it is man 2 man, everyone switches on screens except the center. They felt that their 1-4 could guard any of our 1-4's.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I like us playing zone a little bit. Just change things up and make the opponent think about it for a few possessions. They switch back to man. Anything you can do to make their offense uncomfortable is a good thing.

I was thinking they were doing just that on Hield -- while usually Matty was on Hield, sometimes it was Monte and once or twice Nader or Niang. And they weren't the result of switches as far as I could tell. I think CSP just wanted to throw him a different look once in a while.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If we are going to switch to zone on a possession I would like to see them try to disguise it for as long as possible instead of lining up in a text book 2-3 look as soon as the Cyclones get down the floor. You can be a couple steps out of position while they are bringing the ball up to midcourt to make a zone look a lot like man defense to confuse the offense for a few seconds. The offense only having 18 seconds to run their zone offense and find a good shot rather than 25 can be a big advantage as well.

In addition there are ways to mask which zone. It is pretty easy to show the look of a 1-3-1 while they are bringing the ball up and flex into a 2-3 just as they are about to start attacking the zone. Even if just one of the offensive players doesn't recognize which zone they are attacking it can screw up their offense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron