Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And this is why Patrick McCaffery still probably would've been rated fairly high and would've been a P6 prospect. He was tall and had good offensive skill and mobility for a HS kid of his size. The fact that he's an absolutely horrible defender, particularly off the ball, does not show up or stand out in AAU ball.

I suppose Connor they tried to pull the "once he stops playing baseball his game will take off" argument. But nonetheless, these two kids' rankings were absolutely inflated by being the kids of a P6 coach.
They probably would have developed on the defensive end of the floor if they played for a coach who actually coached championship defense and didn't just gift them playing time they didn't earn.

I still feel kind of bad for Patrick. He could have been a pretty darn good Div I player somewhere - and in the right environment might have not struggled as badly with mental health issues.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I still remember the game when Ames High with McD and Barnes played I think it was the state runner up in 4A the previous year from Waukegan, Illinois (and I think was a semifinalist that season). Ames just freaking demolished them. It was one of those games where it's clear they could play 10 times and one team was winning every time, and it was never competitive. That team was ridiculous.
Wasn't Bubu the freshman PG on that team as well? And wasn't there another guy who played Div I in the Ivy league as well?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
And this is why Patrick McCaffery still probably would've been rated fairly high and would've been a P6 prospect. He was tall and had good offensive skill and mobility for a HS kid of his size. The fact that he's an absolutely horrible defender, particularly off the ball, does not show up or stand out in AAU ball.

I suppose Connor they tried to pull the "once he stops playing baseball his game will take off" argument. But nonetheless, these two kids' rankings were absolutely inflated by being the kids of a P6 coach.

I saw Patrick play in HS and he was pretty soft. However, it was fun to listen to his parents in the crowd. Yikes.

Reactions: exCYtable

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I suspect, like almost everybody. - we wish him well. Great young man by all accounts.
I want him to succeed - but not at KSU.
It’s early so there will be more suitors - but of these two I certainly hope he goes to Fred.
Hopefully there are teammates who are helping him understand why he may not want to play for that nutjob.

I think Fred's system might actually be a pretty good fit for him.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I saw Patrick play in HS and he was pretty soft. However, it was fun to listen to his parents in the crowd. Yikes.
Patrick seems like a good kid, and has been through a lot in life, but he is too passive to be a great or even decent bb player. This past year he played in 31 games and had 6 offensive rebounds, 6' 9" and only 6 rebounds on the offensive side. That stat alone screams does not want to be aggressive and mix it up.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Has there been an, "Omaha Biliew has heard from ______" tweet yet that I haven't seen in this thread? I searched quick but didn't find anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
Nope.
Some speculation with Nebby and KSU, but no X posts about contacts yet.

Either of those would be odd since I don't think he would be in a much different position at those schools than if he just stays here. Hopefully if he is considering other P5's it means that Rock had already beat him out on the roster.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Wasn't Bubu the freshman PG on that team as well? And wasn't there another guy who played Div I in the Ivy league as well?
Jesse Pritchard played at Yale, and like Bubu, was a year older. Michael weber was the point guard with Barnes/McDermott and I think he was productive at Kirkwood CC.

• Informative
Reactions: VeloClone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I for one, would be happy to see Omaha play for Fred.

I would too.

But the key word here is “play”. Will he play? When he did play here he showed he was a LONG ways away…. like years. Was just lost out there. Maybe Fred knows what to do?