Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
Appreciate you confirming my point about whiffing on evaluation
Lol what? The coaches don’t rate the recruits…As far as evaluation goes, we’re about to have a preseason top 10 team, so I don’t believe TJ and Co have an evaluation problem.

And if you want to come back with the “developmental” problem, then my counter argument is Robert ******* Jones

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
People would be better off just avoid HS recruiting news altogether. No point even learning their names.
I haven't really ever followed the process. Basically hearing their names for the first time when they commit. Except for more local guys like Omaha, Foster, and Lipsey.

I didn't know much of anything about Nojus, Pierce, or Mitchell before they committed.

Reactions: OldCurmudgeon

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Not sure how you could watch Omaha and think he was close. Give me a guy like Watson all day long.

Wish Omaha the best and will cheer for him at his next stop.
Glad someone else can say something like this. I said the same thing about Omaha being nowhere close to being ready and the sunshine pumpers in the other threads think I’m a horrible fan when they can’t handle the truth. I agree with you that Omaha just isn’t ready. If you’re a 5 star recruit you shouldn’t look lost after a full season of college ball. Omaha could develop into something great, he’s just not developing to the point where he can do much for this program.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Lol what? The coaches don’t rate the recruits…As far as evaluation goes, we’re about to have a preseason top 10 team, so I don’t believe TJ and Co have an evaluation problem.

And if you want to come back with the “developmental” problem, then my counter argument is Robert ******* Jones

This is nonsensical. Are you seriously arguing that coaches don't evaluate the players to whom they offer scholarships?

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
This is nonsensical. Are you seriously arguing that coaches don't evaluate the players to whom they offer scholarships?
Your complaint was about the highest rated class almost being all gone. The coaches don’t rate the recruits. Do they evaluate? Of course. Do they care about the ESPN/247 rankings? Unlikely. But I’m also saying that we are most likely going to be a top 10 team, so I’m not sure how you can say the staff has a evaluation or development problem

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
What's the way to fix it?

I don't really have a problem with them being pros...but there's a reason no successful pro league in the entire world has a system where 100% of players are one year free agent contracts.

It's not college sports anymore, but it's not really pro sports either. Not pro sports in a way that makes sense.
2 year contracts out of high school, standard rule across the power 5. One time transfer max. If your coach leaves there’s an automatic allowance to transfer. They should do this to reduce like 7,000 guys in portal every year. It hurts HS seniors

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Your complaint was about the highest rated class almost being all gone. The coaches don’t rate the recruits. Do they evaluate? Of course. Do they care about the ESPN/247 rankings? Unlikely. But I’m also saying that we are most likely going to be a top 10 team, so I’m not sure how you can say the staff has a evaluation or development problem

They invited these guys into their program and within 12 months have asked them to leave. By definition you have either an evaluation or development problem.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
They invited these guys into their program and within 12 months have asked them to leave. By definition you have either an evaluation or development problem.
Not really, if you’re able to produce results. You have to fill schollies, and not every single one will pan out because you’re never going to get every player in a class you want. Combine that with the portal world now, and your ideology is extremely dated.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
People can say whatever they want, but ISU had the highest rated recruiting class in its history less than 18 months ago and all but one of them are about to be gone. That is a failure. Either they whiffed on evaluation or they whiffed on development.

If this is how it's going to be, why bother recruiting high school kids at all? Isn't it a massive waste of time and effort? How can any recruit or parent take you seriously when almost every single freshman you've recruited, you've run off?

I’m not sure any class can be a total success. Literally everyone everywhere who doesn’t get starter minutes transfers…if our class had 4 starting freshman it means our team sucks more likely than we are Michigan fab 5.

I’m guessing Milan would be ranked at least similar to his recruiting ranking if we ranked every freshman so that’s a success.

Everybody cannot both get paid AND play a lot. It’s just not possible. Only a handful can get both for most teams.

• Agree
Reactions: CyNews and BigCyFan

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
Glad someone else can say something like this. I said the same thing about Omaha being nowhere close to being ready and the sunshine pumpers in the other threads think I’m a horrible fan when they can’t handle the truth. I agree with you that Omaha just isn’t ready. If you’re a 5 star recruit you shouldn’t look lost after a full season of college ball. Omaha could develop into something great, he’s just not developing to the point where he can do much for this program.
Same here. How can a McDonald's HS All-American be this much of a rumblin'-bumblin' player? I mean, each time he took the court he looked genuinely awkward without any kind of game whatsoever. Yes, he's young, but to not show ANYTHING, with the resume he came in with? I still don't get it, to be honest. Still, I'll wish him well at his next stop, obviously...so long as it's not EIU (which seems unlikely).

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Not really, if you’re able to produce results. You have to fill schollies, and not every single one will pan out because you’re never going to get every player in a class you want. Combine that with the portal world now, and your ideology is extremely dated.

Lol, "not every single one will pan out." As if we've whiffed on like one kid, instead of almost literally all of them.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Eh, or every player is a calculated risk with varying levels of risk\reward. They may have identified Omaha was a high risk high reward type player, and sometimes it makes sense to grab those because of the potential upside. Clearly the rest of the roster was solid enough we could afford to take that kind of gamble.

After a year that math may have changed if the projected upside 'reward' is now lower at least in the immediate future.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron