Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Same here. How can a McDonald's HS All-American be this much of a rumblin'-bumblin' player? I mean, each time he took the court he looked genuinely awkward without any kind of game whatsoever. Yes, he's young, but to not show ANYTHING, with the resume he came in with? I still don't get it, to be honest. Still, I'll wish him well at his next stop, obviously...so long as it's not EIU (which seems unlikely).

On the flip side I knew Haliburton would be an NBA starter the very first game I saw him play at ISU with that gigantic wingspan and Magic Johnson level passing skill…they looked at him and said “3 star”.

I didn’t need to be an actual scout, just watching 3 decades of nba and seeing him one time was enough.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
On the flip side I knew Haliburton would be an NBA starter the very first game I saw him play at ISU with that gigantic wingspan and Magic Johnson level passing skill…they looked at him and said “3 star”.

I didn’t need to be an actual scout, just watching 3 decades of nba and seeing him one time was enough.

63364b88-0bc3-4555-9a0b-78a681e14eec_text.gif

Apr 19, 2006
Same here. How can a McDonald's HS All-American be this much of a rumblin'-bumblin' player? I mean, each time he took the court he looked genuinely awkward without any kind of game whatsoever. Yes, he's young, but to not show ANYTHING, with the resume he came in with? I still don't get it, to be honest. Still, I'll wish him well at his next stop, obviously...so long as it's not EIU (which seems unlikely).
Yeah the 5 star label gave me higher expectations. Although I could see Omaha as a Rob Jones type player with a higher ceiling if he has the right staff to develop him.

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
People can say whatever they want, but ISU had the highest rated recruiting class in its history less than 18 months ago and all but one of them are about to be gone. That is a failure. Either they whiffed on evaluation or they whiffed on development.

If this is how it's going to be, why bother recruiting high school kids at all? Isn't it a massive waste of time and effort? How can any recruit or parent take you seriously when almost every single freshman you've recruited, you've run off?
That's a bit strong. They brought in 5 freshmen (including JT) and 3? transfers to compliment the starters that were already here. They can't rotate 13.

Several of them (Pav at a minimum) would have been a solid rotation player the last 2 years.

I have to believe all of them would develop similar to BRE (and Tamin) if they chose to stick around with this staff and roster.

If some of them are impatient, then it's just reality and they all move on. That doesn't mean anyone failed.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah the 5 star label gave me higher expectations. Although I could see Omaha as a Rob Jones type player with a higher ceiling if he has the right staff to develop him.

KU has had several top recruits not turn out to be a good fit

Omaha would be best at a program that doesn’t require defensive execution and that plays pace and space on offense

NiceMarmot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2017
They invited these guys into their program and within 12 months have asked them to leave. By definition you have either an evaluation or development problem.

How do you know that’s what happened versus TJ and the player having an honest conversation about what their role would be next year and the player decided to transfer for a bigger role? This isn’t junior high basketball; not everyone gets to play. The coaches and players both realize this. It’s odd to me when fans don’t. We can’t play 13 dudes.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
People can say whatever they want, but ISU had the highest rated recruiting class in its history less than 18 months ago and all but one of them are about to be gone. That is a failure. Either they whiffed on evaluation or they whiffed on development.

If this is how it's going to be, why bother recruiting high school kids at all? Isn't it a massive waste of time and effort? How can any recruit or parent take you seriously when almost every single freshman you've recruited, you've run off?
Who says they were run off? Maybe they decided on their own they didn’t want to stay.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

This would have mattered ten years ago. These days I would rather have the top ten transfer class.

Omaha will go down as the biggest bust in Iowa State history if he leaves. Which is fine with me as long as we get more Milons and Curtis Jones type players

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
KU has had several top recruits not turn out to be a good fit

Omaha would be best at a program that doesn’t require defensive execution and that plays pace and space on offense
Most of the 5-stars KU has brought in have been immediate contributors and in many (most?) cases, bona fide stars. Our only 5-star recruit turns out to be a development project. Is the McDonald's thing that haphazard in assessing talent? I mean a year ago, folks on here were talking about Omaha as a one-and-done like KU normally gets, but clearly he was/is nowhere near that kind of polish. If nothing else, it makes me take McDonald's AA status a lot less seriously than I once did.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
The early excuse was that Omaha missed time training with the team while playing with Team USA. Which sorta explained why he seemed a little unsure and a step slow during the non-con. Then there was some sort of injury that shut him down for a month just after he had started to get a few minutes in conference. It felt like he never got comfortable.
I could have said similar things about Ward at this time last year. I was hoping for a similar jump for Omaha. I want to believe the talent and work ethic is there, I know the coaching is. I understand the portal era we are in, but still would be pretty disappointed if he does in fact transfer.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Most of the 5-stars KU has brought in have been immediate contributors and in many (most?) cases, bona fide stars. Our only 5-star recruit turns out to be a development project. Is the McDonald's thing that haphazard in assessing talent? I mean a year ago, folks on here were talking about Omaha as a one-and-done like KU normally gets, but clearly he was/is nowhere near that kind of polish. If nothing else, it makes me take McDonald's AA status a lot less seriously than I once did.
It was analysts and such that were saying that, so of course it gets repeated here.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
This would have mattered ten years ago. These days I would rather have the top ten transfer class.

Omaha will go down as the biggest bust in Iowa State history if he leaves. Which is fine with me as long as we get more Milons and Curtis Jones type players
Xavier Foster says hi.