Omaha enters the transfer portal (confirmed)

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Where are we at right now? Able to sign three more or is it four?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Because a lot of people think he has a lot of potential. Unfortunately it went unrealized at ISU. Happens all the time in all sports at all levels.

Now you answer this. Why are you so hung up on this? You think our coaches can't evaluate talent? Can't develop players? You think this means TJ won't have long term success at ISU? What exactly has you so worked up over this?

I'm sorry I failed the loyalty test. Won't happen again.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
He was at the top of my list of transfers. When he entered games he just looked out of place most of the time. People have used the word raw to describe him. I think it fits quite well. Makes me wonder about the high school rating system.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I’m sure this is just confirmation bias but it feels like every “big” recruit Iowa State ever gets doesn’t pan out. Foster and Omaha on the basketball side. Joe Scates, Greg Gaines, Dekkers (lol) on the football side.

That happens to everyone in recruiting. We just follow ISU closely.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Where are we at right now? Able to sign three more or is it four?
With Jackson added, we were at the full 13 scholarships by my count. So we should have four spots open now, even including the one transfer in from Jackson already.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
There are still so many people here in total denial about Omaha. The bottom line is he just isn’t good enough to make the jump (right now). Potential doesn’t equate to everything working out. It’s a shame that a guy that was from close to the school that loved everything about ISU wasn’t the right guy. Things don’t always work out. We’re not going to be any worse without him and hopefully he figures it out soon and can contribute elsewhere. TJ is one of the brightest minds in basketball and will do the right thing to keep this team deadly and dangerous to opponents.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm sorry I failed the loyalty test. Won't happen again.
Give me a break. I didn't attack you. I asked you simple and reasonable questions. Apparently ones you can't answer.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Hopefully it doesn’t turn into a PJ Haggerty
Situation. Kid went from nothing at TCU to a stud in one year.

• Winner
Reactions: tzjung

Koala

Jan 4, 2024
I really hope when you say "We" you're talking about yourself or a small fraction of fans who thought they were getting some superstar one and done Durant type player.

Because I highly doubt the staff feels "duped" or "scammed". I know I don't.
I mean, he was a 5 star McDonald's AA and spent half the season racking up DNP's and only looking OK at best in the non-con.

It's OK to expect something from a 5 star recruit, doesn't even have to be all conference freshman level but something, and we didn't get anything. It's just wild that going into year 2 the outlook was maybe if he improves a ton he'll get some minutes.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Disappointed it didn’t work out.
I wonder, as has been mentioned how far his summer absence put him behind everyone else, it appears a lot, and maybe the ultimate reason he never got up to speed.

I thought I heard last night on the game broadcast that Nate Oates at Alabama brought in 7 guys from the portal for this team.
As Jay Wright said the other night,….. this is not a freshman/soph game anymore.
You are going to have to have older dudes…. Wherever they come from,

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Tyler Sass is leading Omaha down a road to nowhere. I hope he is able to develop somewhere else, but that man is looking for instant gratification, and he won't find it at this level.

Reactions: Aclone

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
If I'm a p6 coach, I'd want to limit my high school recruiting to 1 or 2 kids every year, maybe 3 to gamble on kids with the right measurables. Fill everything else up through the portal. Spend resources casting a wide net during high school recruiting to build strong relationships with the kids you'll be targeting later.

In the nil era, staying old will be the goal. Experience> potential every time. We have a staff that should thrive in this environment.
Only thing I would say to this is I think you need to continue having some impact freshman if nothing more than to continue the Iowa State culture. You can’t do that if it’s new players every year. Getting transfers with multiple years is big

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I mean, he was a 5 star McDonald's AA and spent half the season racking up DNP's and only looking OK at best in the non-con.

It's OK to expect something from a 5 star recruit, doesn't even have to be all conference freshman level but something, and we didn't get anything. It's just wild that going into year 2 the outlook was maybe if he improves a ton he'll get some minutes.
I would feel more "duped" if Prohm was coaching and the team missed the tournament. As it is, TJ didn't think he was good enough to play, and they were 2nd in the Big 12, and made the sweet 16.

We got plenty of something from Milan, Gilbert and Curtis Jones. Who were also in the 2023 recruiting class.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If this is a decision by Omaha’s “handlers”, it’s stupid. The kid had the coaching and support system to be successful if he stayed here, a framework of good players around him—and above all, was clearly happy to be here. And happy with his teammates.

Best wishes, Omaha, wherever you land. Once a Cyclone, always a Cyclone.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron