On to Kansas

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lipsey is the guy I worry about most. Will need him to keep the offense in line.

Yep, KU's focus will be to get him and one of the 5s with two fouls 5 minutes in before they do anything else.

KU gets calls and non calls and Self is smarmy but he's also a tactition and probably can't wait for Saturday even if his team isn't in February mode.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
It's been the same story at KU as long as I can remember. If KU played to their level for an entire game, they'd likely beat most teams pretty handily since they usually have the ability to do so. Instead, we get the same last-minute drama every time:

- Road team plays tough and holds a lead with 5 minutes left. Hope sets in.
- Offensively, KU clears out and drives the lane, taking advantage of their athleticism advantage. The result it either a basket, a foul or a kick-out for a wide open three since their defender panicked and lost track of his man.
- KU starts playing defense much more aggressively and the fans get into it, which throws off the road team into a string of bad offensive possessions.
- KU takes the lead just under a minute. Road team loses composure and gets another empty possession. Foul, free throws, missed shot, another foul, more free throws and KU wins by 5-7.

The momentum generated in that building is impressive. And it must be destroyed.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I appreciate the fact that they won last night, simply for the reason that had they lost, I could have almost guaranteed a win for them against our guys on Saturday. I don't have the time or energy to look, but would guess it has been decades since they lost back to back homes games in the same week. They look beatable, but I'll probably be pushing my chips on KU come Saturday.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
No chance. A high profile ISU/KU game at the Phog on ESPN+ is ESPN's wet dream.
I would have to agree. What better way to promote one's streaming service than having the high profile game on it. I have the service so I'll be watching either way.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I am sure this has been posted somewhere else but does anyone have an update on Osuns injury? Looked like he rolled his ankle pretty good from my seats but i never heard anything about it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Any thoughts on if ESPN will move the Kansas/ISU game off of ESPN+? The game has become the biggest one of the Big12 season at this point in the season. High profile game.

Nope they want to sell subscriptions and both are fan bases are BB devotees,

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yep, KU's focus will be to get him and one of the 5s with two fouls 5 minutes in before they do anything else.

KU gets calls and non calls and Self is smarmy but he's also a tactition and probably can't wait for Saturday even if his team isn't in February mode.

Self is the King of the "get a technical at about the 8 minute mark of the 1st half when the game is not going well for KU so you start getting all the calls from there onward". That is absolutely his patented move.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am sure this has been posted somewhere else but does anyone have an update on Osuns injury? Looked like he rolled his ankle pretty good from my seats but i never heard anything about it.

He tweeted he'll be ready to go later last night. It was in the game thread I believe. Haven't heard a official statement from ISU or anything.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Self is the King of the "get a technical at about the 8 minute mark of the 1st half when the game is not going well for KU so you start getting all the calls from there onward". That is absolutely his patented move.

He uses that to deflate away crowds too. Get them all riled up to a point where they can't match it.

Have to admit, it's a baller move.

Reactions: CascadeClone

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
It's been the same story at KU as long as I can remember. If KU played to their level for an entire game, they'd likely beat most teams pretty handily since they usually have the ability to do so. Instead, we get the same last-minute drama every time:

- Road team plays tough and holds a lead with 5 minutes left. Hope sets in.
- Offensively, KU clears out and drives the lane, taking advantage of their athleticism advantage. The result it either a basket, a foul or a kick-out for a wide open three since their defender panicked and lost track of his man.
- KU starts playing defense much more aggressively and the fans get into it, which throws off the road team into a string of bad offensive possessions.
- KU takes the lead just under a minute. Road team loses composure and gets another empty possession. Foul, free throws, missed shot, another foul, more free throws and KU wins by 5-7.

The momentum generated in that building is impressive. And it must be destroyed.
This summary both impressed me and triggered me at the same time. Going to Phog has basically been nightmare fuel for the rest of the Big 12 for the better part of the past century. This narrative specifically is virtually formulaic at this point, but ISU has figured it out better than most, and Otz willl have his team ready. Kansas must be destroyed.

Reactions: NWICY