Opinions On Gene Chizik

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
In my opinion, the players very rarely looked pumped-up. I went to a few games and the crowd was begging the players to show some emotion, but it didn't happen. I know Chizik supposedly preached an even-keel, never let them see you sweat attitude, but I think he just didn't care and it was passed on to the kids. Our players deserve better and hopefully they will get it with the new coach.

Reactions: Wesley

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Chizik robbed himself of the opportunity to become a good head coach. It's true that he will learn from his ISU mistakes but he still has a lot of learning to do as a head coach. Learning takes time and he won't have any at Auburn. He'll be lucky to go .500 in year 1 and will get decimated by Alabama. Not good enough at Auburn. I say he's gone before the 2010 Iron Bowl.

It's too bad because I think he could've gotten ISU into the BXII Championship in a few years and then EARNED a move to Auburn. As it is now I think the vast majority of Auburn fans want to see him fail and be fired, quickly.
IMO- that is why he was stupid to take the job. Whoever replaced Tubby won't be as succesful as Tubby w/o time. That job will be open again in two years. Doesn't matter if it was chizik or someone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: stvfarmboy

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Good luck with him you may need it. I did not see his bluff on Iowa State. To me he only cares about Gene and only Gene, be careful. What I do not get is why the hell would you fire Tommy who got you to very good season's and hire one of his old assistants?? Weird to me.

stvfarmboy

May 20, 2006
Ames, IA
IMO- that is why he was stupid to take the job. Whoever replaced Tubby won't be as succesful as Tubby w/o time. That job will be open again in two years. Doesn't matter if it was chizik or someone else.

I totally agree and I think this is true in all aspects of life when replacing someone. This is especially true when someone has a long tenure.

Here is one way that I have looked at it. Since McCarney was here quite a while as far as head coaches go, his replacement (Chizik) was most likely just going to be around a few years. That way, Chizik's replacement (Rhoads) won't be compared to McCarney as much.

I don't know how accurate that is, but it seems to make sense to me.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't think he'll up and leave, as it seems this is his dream job now. He brought in some pretty good talent at the skill positions (though the lines leave a lot to be desired).

While here, one of the worst game day coaches I've ever seen. His coaching probably lost us at least five games that we should have won. Just bad, bad, bad. He needs to do his thing all week, then let his assistants handle everything on gameday.

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
cheez-it-orig.gif

that is all

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
So I know that Bell and ARob were on that video using the term chizzed. I didn't realize that that term had actually been continued to be used by the team.

I was walking out of Gerdin today and heard a couple of the players using the term. I was behind them so I couldn't really tell which two they were. Kinda felt like a creeper being one of those people walking nearby that you can't help but listen to their convo. I think I actually laughed out loud when they used the word Chizzed. They were talking about somebody should have used it in a class presentation.

Cy's Taxi

Sep 16, 2007
imo chizik was a fantastic recruiter, the talent level he was able to bring to iowa state in the 2 years (or two half seasons of recruiting) was amazing considering our programs reacent history, that being said, on numorous occasions he was dead on the sidelines, and it hardly looked like the boys on the feild were being coached.... much like all coaches he has his ups and downs, fortunally for auburn, he's a coach that has proven himself with good talent around him, so most likley he'll probably be ok in the SEC until they decided after 4 years 8 wins isin't enough and he gets caned...

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
imo chizik was a fantastic recruiter, the talent level he was able to bring to iowa state in the 2 years (or two half seasons of recruiting) was amazing considering our programs reacent history,

What are you talking about? Do you realize he took over a team that won 4 games the year before he got here, and with the talent he brought in he won 3 games his first year and 2 games his second year, which ended in a 10 game losing streak?

Gene brought in ONE player who could play for most, if not all, Big XII teams -- Leonard Johnson. He brought in a couple of others who have potential -- maybe -- but nobody else who is ready to play Big XII football. One player in two years is not an amazing job of recruiting great talent. They simply aren't that great. Baylor has a young team also, and they beat us by the biggest margin of victory they've ever had in a conference game. Great talent doesn't lose 10 straight games, most of them by record-setting margins.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Gene said hi to me in the airport over Thanksgiving break and was gone 3 weeks later.... Gene also told us he was entrenched in Ames. Gene eventually left, after giving all of us a false sense that he enjoyed Iowa State and that he was committed to bringing success back to Iowa State. Dont assume anything with Gene until you see it with your own two eyes. He has the capability of being a good coach, but dont expect it until your two eyes see it.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Best dodgeball coach ISU ever had

Ha Ha! totally forgot about that story...basically i guess i tried to erase everything chizik I had in my mind.

I am just glad we have a coach from Ankeny, has been at Iowa State before, knows what we're about, and loves, almost chokes up in tears about being here as the Iowa State Cyclones head coach. If Paul Rhoads pulls a gene chizik on me and my heart, I just don't know if I would be able to take it as a fan...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What are you talking about? Do you realize he took over a team that won 4 games the year before he got here, and with the talent he brought in he won 3 games his first year and 2 games his second year, which ended in a 10 game losing streak?

Gene brought in ONE player who could play for most, if not all, Big XII teams -- Leonard Johnson. He brought in a couple of others who have potential -- maybe -- but nobody else who is ready to play Big XII football. One player in two years is not an amazing job of recruiting great talent. They simply aren't that great. Baylor has a young team also, and they beat us by the biggest margin of victory they've ever had in a conference game. Great talent doesn't lose 10 straight games, most of them by record-setting margins.

You do realize that it is very very rare for a freshman, redshirt freshman or true soph to make that big of an impact in football, right? This isn't like basketball where the top talent plays AAU against other top talent and can contribute right away. He lost with the talent (or lack of talent) that McCarney left. So if Rhoads wins 7 this year it is because of the guys he brought in? Wow...

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
gene chizik was hatched in a turd factory.that is describing him in mild terms!!!!!!

Dthier

Apr 9, 2006
Have you ever heard of the "Peter Principal?" It says that people are promoted to their level of incompetence.
I think he is a shining example of that principal.

Help Support Us

Become a patron