our defense...

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
well in the off-season there was alot of talk about our offense. everyone thought our defense would be horrible. i know we have only played one tough team, who destroyed our defense, but i think we are looking good so far. do you all think we can keep up the good d in conference play?

we have given up some big plays, but alot more 3 and outs than i was expecting to see. chris lyle has improved alot, and i think he will have to step it up big time the rest of the year. our d-backs are looking better. lj is off to a good start, but i'm not sold on banks. i personally like benton and think he should start. the smith boys are the best tacklers on the team. having david sims is huge! i really think he will make a huge difference in conference play. fred garrin is looking good this year also. there are still some weaknesses, which you will see when we play the tougher teams like oklahoma state. i like the way things look so far.....

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
the defense has really surprised me this year. They are actually wraping up and tackeling which is something I haven't seen much of the last two years. The were at a disadvantage during the Iowa game because they had to get back on the field right after they got off almost every time. Hopefully they can keep up the good work. I am a Burnham fan!

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
I am holding judgement yet on the defense till we play some better offenses. But it is looking better than I expected.

Also I would note that the offense gave up more big plays against Iowa than the defense did.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
We've played 3 pretty bad offenses and one that's mediocre at best. They've definetely played well so far, but our game against Kansas I think will probably remind us of last years D. That's where our offense is going to have to carry our team to have a chance to win.

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
You mention several backs and LB's, but our weakness is up front. It all starts there. If your defensive tackles get pushed off the ball, it gets hard to run a defense quickly. We've lost a reliable and experienced DE and our tackles are not our strength. Fortunately, we have one of the best DC's around. It is going to be key for our offense to NOT TURN THE BALL OVER and leave our D with a short field.

Tank

Sep 13, 2008
Niceville, FL
We've played 3 pretty bad offenses and one that's mediocre at best. They've definetely played well so far, but our game against Kansas I think will probably remind us of last years D. That's where our offense is going to have to carry our team to have a chance to win.

I would say 3 pretty bad offenses and 1 good offense (Iowa). Yes, it is the defense that probably won the game, and scored 2 points against Penn St but the offenses did put up 19 of their own points against a pretty good Penn St defense.

I, for one, am pleasantly surprised with our defense thus far and hope I stay that way as we enter conference play.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I would say 3 pretty bad offenses and 1 good offense (Iowa). Yes, it is the defense that probably won the game, and scored 2 points against Penn St but the offenses did put up 19 of their own points against a pretty good Penn St defense.

I, for one, am pleasantly surprised with our defense thus far and hope I stay that way as we enter conference play.

I believe Iowa's offense only scored 6 points against penn st. The rest was special teams and defense.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I'm on record multiple times saying this years defense would overachieve and this years offense would underachieve compared to expectations.

Yes....fortuneteller :)

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Wrong. Blocked punt TD. Picks gave the offense a short field. Defense got the safety. Iowa's offense didn't move the ball. Iowa's offense scored because they picked Penn State in their own territory. Iowa has an awful offense and that's what's keeping them from being a top 5 team this year. If they get behind, they're screwed. Stanzi was awful against Penn State (not Arnaud vs. Iowa awful but still awful) and their running backs did what they're supposed to.

Last edited:

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Wrong. Blocked punt TD. Picks gave the offense a short field. Defense got the safety. Iowa's offense didn't move the ball. Iowa's offense scored because they picked Penn State in their own territory. Iowa has an awful offense and that's what's keeping them from being a top 5 team this year. If they get behind, they're screwed. Stanzi was awful against Penn State (not Arnaud vs. Iowa awful but still awful) and their running backs did what they're supposed to.

Iowa's offense didn't move the ball? Serious question since there is a good chance you were either at the ISU game or were watching it, but did you even watch the Iowa/PSU game?

Iowa's offense moved the ball but every time they got across the 50 yard line they'd drop a pass, commit a penalty, bad throw, etc.

Iowa had 298 yards of offense in bad weather against a very good defense in a hostile environment.

ISU had 376 yards at home in nice weather against an ok defense.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Iowa's offense didn't move the ball? Serious question since there is a good chance you were either at the ISU game or were watching it, but did you even watch the Iowa/PSU game?

Iowa's offense moved the ball but every time they got across the 50 yard line they'd drop a pass, commit a penalty, bad throw, etc.

Iowa had 298 yards of offense in bad weather against a very good defense in a hostile environment.

ISU had 376 yards at home in nice weather against an ok defense.
Yet Iowa fans say Iowa State's offense couldn't move the ball on Iowa last year in Iowa City. I think there's a double standard here. :confused: Weather also shouldn't matter. Iowa's offense is to grind it out, and rain isn't going to hurt that.

And I did watch the Iowa game....my roommate DVR'd it. :skeptical:

Additionally, total yards don't tell much. Iowa State averaged more yards per pass as well as more yards per rush vs. a worse defense.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yet Iowa fans say Iowa State's offense couldn't move the ball on Iowa last year in Iowa City. I think there's a double standard here. :confused: Weather also shouldn't matter. Iowa's offense is to grind it out, and rain isn't going to hurt that.

And I did watch the Iowa game....my roommate DVR'd it. :skeptical:

Additionally, total yards don't tell much. Iowa State averaged more yards per pass as well as more yards per rush vs. a worse defense.

Who said ISU couldn't move the ball? They couldn't score, but they were inside the redzone for much of the third quarter so obviously they could move the ball. Is this another one of those "Iowa fans say....when in actuality they don't but ISU fans like to think they do"...like Iowa players winning the heisman?

How is Iowa a grind it out team when they pass just as often as they run? The weather certainly didn't help.

Wouldn't you expect them to have a better average against a worse defense?

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
The defense has been playing very well considering they've been on the field for 7-10 minutes longer than the offense (in at least our 3 home games).

Throwing 6 picks in the Iowa game didn't do us any favors.

And the truth is last year we didn't give up less than 17 points all season. This year we've done it twice against, yes, two crappy offensive teams, but none the less they've done what was needed of them to get W's.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Who said ISU couldn't move the ball? They couldn't score, but they were inside the redzone for much of the third quarter so obviously they could move the ball. Is this another one of those "Iowa fans say....when in actuality they don't but ISU fans like to think they do"...like Iowa players winning the heisman?

How is Iowa a grind it out team when they pass just as often as they run? The weather certainly didn't help.

This thread isn't about Iowa's offense. Stay on topic.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Enough Hawk talk already, let's get back to the actual discussion. I posted this in another thread, but it got buried, so here it is again.

On the season so far, we're holding opponents to a 3rd down conversion rate of 31% (17/55). Here's how that compares to previous seasons:

2009: 31%
2008: 51%
2007: 43%
2006: 45%
2005: 34%

It sure seemed like we couldn't ever get teams off the field last year, and the numbers sure seem to support that. Obviously it's early, and we haven't played the meat of the schedule yet, but 31% so far is encouraging to me.

Now, if the offense would start converting more than 37% this year, then we'd be in business. But that's a thread for a different day.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
ISU hasn't faced a good spread offense yet. When teams spread ISU out will the defensive line be able to hold up? That will be the question.

Still the defense has been good enough to win and that's the important part.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Walking outside the stadium last year there were more than a few Iowa fans saying Iowa State couldn't move the ball or score on Iowa's defense. Iowa's quarterbacks just played bad and that's why Iowa State spent the 3rd quarter in Iowa's territory (I believe there was only 1 pick).

I figured everyone in the country knew by now that Iowa is run first, run second, run third, run fourth, and throw off playaction fifth. Stanzi's job is just not to lose games for Iowa. Their defense is good enough to win them if he doesn't mess up.

Depends on proportions. If Iowa has a better offense, they should move it well on a good defense. If Iowa State has a better offense, they should move it even more on a bad defense. If Iowa and Iowa State are equal, Iowa State should move it better against Army than Iowa against Penn State.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Enough Hawk talk already, let's get back to the actual discussion. I posted this in another thread, but it got buried, so here it is again.

On the season so far, we're holding opponents to a 3rd down conversion rate of 31% (17/55). Here's how that compares to previous seasons:

2009: 31%
2008: 51%
2007: 43%
2006: 45%
2005: 34%

It sure seemed like we couldn't ever get teams off the field last year, and the numbers sure seem to support that. Obviously it's early, and we haven't played the meat of the schedule yet, but 31% so far is encouraging to me.

Now, if the offense would start converting more than 37% this year, then we'd be in business. But that's a thread for a different day.

Thanks for the numbers! I think we're seeing the lower percentage this season because our defense is winning more on first and second down which is setting up more 3rd and longs. I've cheered for our D during first and second down this season almost as much as I've cheered for them on third down because of how well they've been playing. Hopefully this continues and we can start forcing turnovers on those 3rd and longs.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Walking outside the stadium last year there were more than a few Iowa fans saying Iowa State couldn't move the ball or score on Iowa's defense. Iowa's quarterbacks just played bad and that's why Iowa State spent the 3rd quarter in Iowa's territory (I believe there was only 1 pick).

I figured everyone in the country knew by now that Iowa is run first, run second, run third, run fourth, and throw off playaction fifth. Stanzi's job is just not to lose games for Iowa. Their defense is good enough to win them if he doesn't mess up.

Depends on proportions. If Iowa has a better offense, they should move it well on a good defense. If Iowa State has a better offense, they should move it even more on a bad defense. If Iowa and Iowa State are equal, Iowa State should move it better against Army than Iowa against Penn State.

Since other posters have asked to keep this on topic we'll either have to talk about this in the In-State Rivals forum or just let it go.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
It all begins and ends with the line play.

I'm optimistic that our Dline went toe-to-toe with one of the best O-lines in college football and performed decently. I think when these guys face more inexperienced o-lines we could be in for a surprise.

Also, how refreshing is it that we are winning the games we are supposed to? Granted, they have been weak opponents, but we are winning.

(even more optimistic that our O-line completely neutralized Iowa's solid d-line)