Palm Trees in West Des Moines!

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
So I'm driving over by Jordan Creek Mall today and what do I see but palm trees planted at Johnny's Italian Steakhouse and Holiday Inn off Mill Civic Pkwy.

Can these things actually survide an Iowa winter?? They had them all wrapped up in burlap.

I just found this video on You Tube of them shortly after they were planted as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FipsbshqI]YouTube - Palm Trees in Iowa?[/ame]

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Thanks for the link....I live a couple miles from the mall and hadn't seen them yet.

Will be very interested to see how many make it through the winter.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks for the link....I live a couple miles from the mall and hadn't seen them yet.

Will be very interested to see how many make it through the winter.

Really? They have been in the ground for about 4 months or more I would guess.

They will not live... wrapping the tops doesn't matter, it's the roots that can't survive the cold. $30 k down the drain.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
So I'm driving over by Jordan Creek Mall today and what do I see but palm trees planted at Johnny's Italian Steakhouse and Holiday Inn off Mill Civic Pkwy.

Can these things actually survide an Iowa winter?? They had them all wrapped up in burlap.

I just found this video on You Tube of them shortly after they were planted as well.

YouTube - Palm Trees in Iowa?

HAHA
Love the music! The guy who comes out around the 56 second mark is funny as well.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
Actually there is a chance that they'll survive with proper care. There are "cold hardy" palm trees out there. Cold Hardy Palm Trees Species For Colder Climates
I love this:
Hotel officials said everyone keeps asking them the same question, "will the palms survive an Iowa winter?"
"We'll see, but in the meantime, how cool is it to have palm trees right here in Des Moines," said Mike Whalen, owner of the Holiday Inn and Johnny's Italian Steakhouse.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
I love this:
Hotel officials said everyone keeps asking them the same question, "will the palms survive an Iowa winter?"
"We'll see, but in the meantime, how cool is it to have palm trees right here in Des Moines," said Mike Whalen, owner of the Holiday Inn and Johnny's Italian Steakhouse.
It will only be cool if they don't die.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
The Needle Palm tree type is cold hardy down to a temperature of -10's degrees F.

Doh!

They had a list of trees down the page a bit and that one wasn't in the list.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
according to the Packers/Panthers pregame they keep Lambeau field a balmey 38F during the cold times of the year .... maybe this place need to invest in a ground warming system.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Wow, you guys are pathetic, you will bet on anything! How sad.

.... 300k that they don't make it to spring. :yes:

Wait till next week when I post the event on:

How much weight will BrianHos put on during his beach vacation?