Players need to make plays

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum over the past day and a half, but I just got home and it is still the thought about yesterday that keeps coming back.

If a D-lineman makes a play on any one of their 3 scrambles that wound up being either hail Mary TD's or the FG, we win.

If Catlett doesn't fumble, we probably score again and win.

If a DB makes a play on one of the passes mentioned above, we win

players need to make plays

Reactions: kingcy

moforisu

Jun 12, 2006
Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum over the past day and a half, but I just got home and it is still the thought about yesterday that keeps coming back.

If a D-lineman makes a play on any one of their 3 scrambles that wound up being either hail Mary TD's or the FG, we win.

Agreed-
We are close, I know it doesn't help for wins, but if we can keep improving in all aspects of the game there will come a time when we win these games and hopefully many more. I just figure we now have to go out and beat Kansas on the road to get this lost back.

Those of you who would know, is Kansas that unbeatable at home?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If someone steps up and makes 1 big play vs KSU ISU wins the game.

fanaticman

Sep 21, 2009
i would not say unbeatable. they are a quality team but memorial stadium is not a real intimidating place to play and they do make the mistakes at times. We just need to play soild, not make mental or physical errors and try to take advantage of kansas's misques.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008

good points. If Catlett lays down with 3 guys on him and having the first down, the game is over.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
I look at where we are at today with CPR and his team vs. where we were at with the Chiz and his team......for me it's a night and day difference. Both sides of the ball we seem more consistent in what we are supposed to do. The kids just seem like the get "most" of what they are coached on. As a whole, we just seem far more organized this year than we did the last two. We'll see as the competition starts to ramp up the rest of the year.

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
our players did make plays, hence it took a missed extra point to not put the game in over time.

Our players made plays and missed plays, their players made plays and missed plays. Our team still looks better than last years, we look better now than we did against NDSU.

The biggest dissappointment I have is the penalties, especially 15 yard personal fouls in crucial periods of the game. No excuse for that and directly blamed on decision making of the player and not a coach.

Reactions: cyfan964

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

Agree. That was the difference in the game. The KSU QB, getting his first start of the year, made some key plays.

We had several players not step up and make a play.

AA - Excellent running, but inaccurate once again.
Sed/Darks - No catches, dropped ball.
Catlett - Huge fumble when fighting for meaningless yards.
Safeties - Both Smith and Sims burned deep for TD's
Mahoney - Failed PAT

Need to see the replay, but our pass rush on the 3rd and goal from the 17 was ridiculous. Why we did not blitz is on the coaches.

Any of those guys step up and we are looking at a W. And a huge W with 3 starters basically knocked out in the last week (Parker, Reynolds, ARob).

Very frustrating.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Catlett's fumble was partially due to an excellent placement of helmet on ball by the K-State defender. I won't fault him for fighting for the yardage, just an excellent helmet placement.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
If ifs and buts where candies and nuts . . .

Really, our two turnovers cost us. Catlett's fumble gave KSU the ball on the our 36 and they scored off of it. Austen's fumble came when on a 3rd & 13, but not losing the ball there gives us a chance to pin them deep. We ended up getting it back the very next play, but we had to go all the back to our own 26 to do it. The fumble affected field position in a tie football game.

I really think the overall, the defense played pretty well. Our offense seemed to go 3 and out way too much yesterday and once again our D spent more time on the field than our offense, that has to wear on them.

You can't blame the d-backs for getting burned on long touchdowns for having to chase guys like Banks around for 10-15 seconds because the d-line can't get to the quarterback. And really when Sims got burned it ended up being a very well thrown ball.

The PAT to end the game was a bad snapped and one very high jumping DB. Having a 6-4 DB who can get up there worked out well for KSU, I don't think anyone on the KSU line jumped higher than he did and he just happened to get his hand on the ball. Can't blame Grant for all that happened on that PAT, he struck it well. But a poor snap I think affected that kick.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Catlett's fumble was partially due to an excellent placement of helmet on ball by the K-State defender. I won't fault him for fighting for the yardage, just an excellent helmet placement.

There are times to fight for yards, and there are times to go down quick. It's part of learning the game.

Shinyhappyclone

Aug 25, 2007
iowa

Dude, I could change the names in your post and re-enter it in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005, etc.....
My grist I keep milling is not my frustration for this game, not the frustration of last year or even Chizik's incredibly bad experiment. I keep thinking--as we get into the meat of the big 12 now-- of the lost opportunity that Mac's coaching staff had 4 years ago.
Mac and spun his wheels at first and it was apparent that this was not a recipe-formulaic program building exercise. He finally had good years, a respite, and then bounced back with good teams in the Bret Meyer years.....but flubbed it. Still Marty Fine's fault then in 2005? I don't know. What KILLS me is that that was opportunity with the other teams. Nebraska was WAY down ( I don't care what you say, losing to ISU is why Solich got fired. Any NU coach loses to ISU twice, they will get fired and that goes for BO.) KSU was down. KU was down still. Colorado was down. Missou had not yet gotten the in-state recruiting lock of the big Metros. What a golden freaking opportunity then. IF just a few players make a play, if just a few coaches make a coaching gambit, then we are in a different universe now. And I am a Mac fan....but I still think of him just taking that offensive holding call on Blythe his last year in Nebraska game...that blatant referee game-throwing....like a prison bride. He should have assaulted that Ref!!! seriously. I knew he was not in it anymore then. That three year window of 2004-2005-2006 of opportunity may not come again, ever.
Mock me, downgrade me, whatever. I had to vent. Thank you.

Reactions: clonedog

mcnemat

Mar 6, 2007
Why is it everytime AA throws deep it is into double coverage. Jake Williams made a great play so I don't want to take anything away from that. But what is the deal with AA it is like her has forgotten to throw, check down, look off, pump fake, set your self in the pocket, etc, etc. He is running better than ever, but please make a pass.

I have to agree both sides of the ball look like they have bought into the system, they are getting coached, they understand their roles, are organized. And because of that I'm still excited for the future of the Clones.

kurecabinboy

Apr 22, 2008
Dude, I could change the names in your post and re-enter it in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2005, etc.....
My grist I keep milling is not my frustration for this game, not the frustration of last year or even Chizik's incredibly bad experiment. I keep thinking--as we get into the meat of the big 12 now-- of the lost opportunity that Mac's coaching staff had 4 years ago.
Mac and spun his wheels at first and it was apparent that this was not a recipe-formulaic program building exercise. He finally had good years, a respite, and then bounced back with good teams in the Bret Meyer years.....but flubbed it. Still Marty Fine's fault then in 2005? I don't know. What KILLS me is that that was opportunity with the other teams. Nebraska was WAY down ( I don't care what you say, losing to ISU is why Solich got fired. Any NU coach loses to ISU twice, they will get fired and that goes for BO.) KSU was down. KU was down still. Colorado was down. Missou had not yet gotten the in-state recruiting lock of the big Metros. What a golden freaking opportunity then. IF just a few players make a play, if just a few coaches make a coaching gambit, then we are in a different universe now. And I am a Mac fan....but I still think of him just taking that offensive holding call on Blythe his last year in Nebraska game...that blatant referee game-throwing....like a prison bride. He should have assaulted that Ref!!! seriously. I knew he was not in it anymore then. That three year window of 2004-2005-2006 of opportunity may not come again, ever.

A little off-topic, but very accurate and I have the same feelings about those years.

Look, as ISU fans we wouldn't still be on this site, go to the games, or give our money to the athletic department if we didn't have a sense of optimism. We love this team for at least one reason or another. Sometimes it's a love-hate relationship because it can be frustrating, but they're our team.

I relize venting on this site is like b!tching about your girlfriend to your buddy over a beer. While we all agree our ISU girlfriend is a frosty wench, she's still ours and we'd pound an outsider who says anything bad about her. If you don't like the blue balls that come with being an ISU fan, then go sleep with the USC and Florida skanks.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

Dude! Awesome post.

My first Cyclone game ever was Ohio vs. ISU which was also Dan Macarney's first game. I then converted from being a die hard Hawkeye fan to being a Cyclone fan just 2 short years later. I am 100% convinced that ISU will never be worth a crap in football ever. The modern world will cease to exist before ISU is ever good a football. I'm still going to the rest of the games though; as long as they are not night games. Night games suck big time. And so does a full Jack Trice stadium; I mean; if they are gonna lose; it might as well be me on the top row of jack trice with a strawberry smoothie and no one within 40 feet of me; thinking about whether nachos or pizza hut would be a good 3rd quarter snack. can't wait for the beer pong tourney last game of the year!