Playoff Setup

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Seems impossible to get everyone on board but on the surface it sounds better than whatever road we are currently on.

Won't go anywhere anytime soon but possibly the first move in a decades-long transition to a new system.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Seems impossible to get everyone on board but on the surface it sounds better than whatever road we are currently on.

It’s actually the first good idea I have seen and if we are going to transform college football, this would be preferable. But then with football not being the driver of realignment, college basketball would be the driving force with Big 12 in the drivers seat.

• Agree
Reactions: ClubCy

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
The best solution has always been the G5 grabbing the Big Sky, MVFC and a few other eastern schools from the upper level of the FCS and going to a 75 scholarship level with a 32 team playoff.

I'm glad they're finally discussing it.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The best solution has always been the G5 grabbing the Big Sky, MVFC and a few other eastern schools from the upper level of the FCS and going to a 75 scholarship level with a 32 team playoff.

So instead of having playoff access with the real teams they should relegate themselves to a lower tier that even less people will care about?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
So instead of having playoff access with the real teams they should relegate themselves to a lower tier that even less people will care about?
“access with the real teams” gets them $1 million a year and to be a whipping boy for 1 game more often than not. What’s the point?

Reactions: VeloClone

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
You think people wouldn’t watch a G5 playoff? Sure, not in the numbers of the CFP, but people love college football. There’d be viewers, there’d be media outlets wanting to broadcast it. Odds are they’d get a bigger pot of money to share from this idea than the scraps the CFP is reluctantly giving them.

Also if some have the notion they’re not considered “real teams” that isn’t going to change just because one of them gets in the CFP. There’s almost literally nothing to lose.

• Agree
Reactions: Clonedogg

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You think people wouldn’t watch a G5 playoff? Sure, not in the numbers of the CFP, but people love college football. There’d be viewers, there’d be media outlets wanting to broadcast it. Odds are they’d get a bigger pot of money to share from this idea than the scraps the CFP is reluctantly giving them.

Also if some have the notion they’re not considered “real teams” that isn’t going to change just because one of them gets in the CFP. There’s almost literally nothing to lose.
No one watches or cares about the division 2 championship which is basically what this becomes. Yeah they might be a sacrificial lamb most years but if they pull off the occasional upset or two it can help the narrative.

• Creative
Reactions: Kinch

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

They can give it a new name. Maybe "Division 1-AA"

• Creative

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
No one watches or cares about the division 2 championship which is basically what this becomes. Yeah they might be a sacrificial lamb most years but if they pull off the occasional upset or two it can help the narrative.
I disagree, the G5 teams we know (I don't know any division 2 brands), and play against the P4 teams. Boise St vs Tulane and SDiegoST vs Memphis in a playoff structure, I think would be highly entertaining. I tuned in when BYU played Costal Carolina a few years ago on short notice.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

If the SEC and Big10 separated, I ain't watching any games involving them.

Separation always reduces eyeballs.

• Agree

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Sparty and his P2 boys wouldn’t even let the ink dry before they claimed that g5 spot as their own auto bid.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
That's not true. I love the lower tier playoff. Because it's, you know, a playoff like it always should have been. Those games are way more interesting than the run of the mill bowl games.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Give me a legitimate chance at winning a title against my peers rather than a seat at the table because mom (the courts) says you have to let me sit there.

The P2 are already sucking the money out so why stay and have a 1/70-some chance at getting your ass kicked by somebody rather than getting to play competitive games for 5 extra weeks that you actually have a chance to win and advance.

The FCS Playoffs do lower tier bowl game numbers on TV and you'd think a level down playoff would do at least that.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
A G5+ Playoff could be a financial win for those schools for a couple reasons:
  1. The P4 CFP is going to stretch into the 3rd week of January. If the G5+ could get their playoff to start early December and finish up by New Years they could fill a void in P5 games.
  2. With a 12 or 16 team P4 playoff, what will be the impact on bowl games? Will fans loose interest in bowls because they will match up a few 8-4 games, but most bowl games will be between 7-5 or 6-6 teams.
I might be more interested in watching a SDSU vs. Memphis G5+ Playoff game over Mississippi vs. Purdue bowl game.

Personally, I am not a fan of the CFP Championship Game being played in late January- almost 8 weeks after the regular season ends. I have a tough time with the current 4 team format ending on Jan 10. Come January 1 I am in full college basketball mode.