Playoff Setup

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Yep. Every single power league team with .500 record is getting in and every single one of the low majors (bottom 16 leagues) is headed to a play in game.

They're going to ruin this too.

Ruin? What do you mean, ruin? This isn’t about the sport, or the fans, or the spirit of competition, this is all going exactly as the university presidents and athletic departments desire … cause it’s all about

cash-money.gif

The B12/ACC becoming lower tier conferences who have to bend over and get treated like dirt? Yes, sir, B1G/SEC, please give us another delicious plate of sh!t, as long as that TV money comes along with it. The big “power” conferences filling up all the spots in March Madness with 13- and 14-win teams while everybody else has hope they get selected for Dayton? Sounds like a great plan for those “power” conference schools, show us the money!

This won’t change until they go too far and people stop watching games on TV and the money dries up … but I don’t see any sign of that coming anytime soon. Hell, even a B1G/SEC-only football playoff system is probably still going to bring in tons of TV cash :puke:

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
With this split it’s only 6-7mil difference between a big ten school and a Big12 school. Smaller difference than if you went on a per bid basis due to stupid biases. Why would presidents want tell them to pound sand over that? They still are making much more than before.
It's another 6-9 million on top of the already huge gulf between the 2 tiers. Not only that, but because of the smaller budgets, 6-9 million means a hell of a lot more to us than it does the Big 10 or SEC. And... this won't be the last thing they try to put into tiers that further compound the cumulative impact.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The basketball tourney will definitely be changing as well. There have been several articles on that.

How to expand the tournament is a lingering question, Yormark and Phillips acknowledge.

Do you eliminate automatic qualifying spots to small-conference champions? That move is sure to backfire politically at a time when congressional help is sought.

Do you simply add more at-large spots to the field? That complicates an already crammed schedule.

And if you expand the men’s event, wouldn’t the women’s tournament need expansion, too?

Expansion just dilutes further the importance of non-con and even conference games. And I disagree that the net benefit is to the Big 12 having more access. We're already the top dog, so lowering the bar opens it up to a lot of other Big 10 and SEC **** teams like Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
New CFP payouts:

Big 10/SEC: >$21M/school
ACC: >$13M
Big 12: >$12M
Notre Dame: >$12M
G5: $1.8M

ACC more than Big 12 due to past CFP history. One good thing out of this latest is that the participating bonus has gone away. That would have compounded the payouts to the Big 10 and SEC

So, since the Big 10 and SEC bullied everybody to unequal payouts for football, would they go for unequal for basketball? Doubt it since Big 12 and Big East would benefit.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
New CFP payouts:

Big 10/SEC: >$21M/school
ACC: >$13M
Big 12: >$12M
Notre Dame: >$12M
G5: $1.8M

ACC more than Big 12 due to past CFP history. One good thing out of this latest is that the participating bonus has gone away. That would have compounded the payouts to the Big 10 and SEC

So, since the Big 10 and SEC bullied everybody to unequal payouts for football, would they go for unequal for basketball? Doubt it since Big 12 and Big East would benefit.
Still trying to figure out why the ACC deserves the extra million. The only thing I can come up with is that their vote must have been purchased for the extra million.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Still trying to figure out why the ACC deserves the extra million. The only thing I can come up with is that their vote must have been purchased for the extra million.
Heard the ACC has had 4 times the amount of the Big 12 for CFP participants. I haven't fact checked it. But Yormark got everybody to include a "look-in" clause in 2028 for conference performance / realignment. Thus, I expect he is counting on snagging some ACC schools if the ACC blows up.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Heard the ACC has had 4 times the amount of the Big 12 for CFP participants. I haven't fact checked it. But Yormark got everybody to include a "look-in" clause in 2028 for conference performance / realignment. Thus, I expect he is counting on snagging some ACC schools if the ACC blows up.
You have a link for that one, that would be very interesting? Also did you get your numbers from math or see something posted?

Sep 10, 2015
You have a link for that one, that would be very interesting? Also did you get your numbers from math or see something posted?
Here is a quote from that Yahoo article linked above that explains everything. They only give the Big12 credit for TCU and Cincinnati. They now count Texas and OU as SEC teams.

The CFP revenue distribution model was largely based on historic success in the playoff over the previous decade. Considering future realignment moves, the SEC and Big Ten account for 72.5% of CFP participants. The SEC leads all conferences with 17 in the four-team field when factoring in Oklahoma and Texas. The Big Ten is next at 12 when factoring in its four new schools. The ACC (7 teams) and Big 12 (2) follow.

Sep 10, 2015
This ESPN article is also good and has lots of discussion about what will be happening to the basketball tourney. In a nutshell, lots of comments about how nearly everyone agrees that the current March Madness is just about perfect and no fans want to change it, but they have to change it anyway.

Ten years ago, there were five so-called power football leagues with an average of 12.6 teams. Next season, the SEC will have 16 teams, the Big Ten will have 18 teams, the Big 12 will have 16 teams, and the ACC will have 18 teams. (The basketball-driven Big East has 11 programs.) Gavitt stresses that the NCAA and the men's basketball tournament committee have spent a lot of time discussing a new model that will be reflective of the new league dynamics without changing the essence of the tournament.

"It's important not to apply an old model to a new dynamic to keep something special and beloved," he said. "In any business, you have to evolve and change. That's what's being contemplated. It's not portending an outcome
."

Last edited:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Here is a quote from that Yahoo article linked above that explains everything. They only give the Big12 credit for TCU and Cincinnati. They now count Texas and OU as SEC teams.

The CFP revenue distribution model was largely based on historic success in the playoff over the previous decade. Considering future realignment moves, the SEC and Big Ten account for 72.5% of CFP participants. The SEC leads all conferences with 17 in the four-team field when factoring in Oklahoma and Texas. The Big Ten is next at 12 when factoring in its four new schools. The ACC (7 teams) and Big 12 (2) follow.
No I was asking about the payout amounts and feature that the Big12 asked for concerning realignment that was quoted. I appreciate the info though!

Reactions: MountainManHawk

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Heartland is a Big 12 homer site but here it is. There are multiple news sources saying Yormark was the one that asked for the look-in provision. Ross Dellenger's March 8th piece was the 1st that I saw show this look-in provision.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

SuperTrooper

Mar 26, 2012
My hot take:

If they are going to expand the NCAA tournament to like 96 teams they need to create a system like European Football (Champions League). They have a formula that allocates slots by country (conference) So say Big 12 gets 6 auto (Top 5 and conf tourney champ, if one of those are the same 6th place gets in) Big East 5, so on. Some like the A10 and MVC may get 2 depending on their ranking, and every conference gets at least 1 and likely the bottom 20 or so would still only get one. Then leave some at large spots available for the committee.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Interesting that ESPN reserves the right to sublicense. Let's see how much Amazon or Apple or Peacock or Paramount+ want in the game.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Seems impossible to get everyone on board but on the surface it sounds better than whatever road we are currently on.