Playoff Setup

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I interpreted @Clonehomer assessment about "bigger schools" to mean "more prominent/traditionally strong programs."
Even with that interpretation, I don’t think that’s gonna be a thing. The schools that make up that cohert are most years going to be the traditional powers, especially after realignment. I don’t like it but that’s kinda how it is. Just look at the top 12 from last year.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I wonder how strong the 3rd and 4th best teams record will look in the SEC if they make the SEC go to 9 conference games.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I wonder how strong the 3rd and 4th best teams record will look in the SEC if they make the SEC go to 9 conference games.
They'll be fine. Any SEC/B1G team that only has two losses will for sure be in. Heck, I bet a 9-3 SEC team will make it in before long.

• Agree

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
They'll be fine. Any SEC/B1G team that only has two losses will for sure be in. Heck, I bet a 9-3 SEC team will make it in before long.
Guaranteed! If ISU is 10-2 and second in Big12 and Texass or OU is 9-3 and 3rd in SEC West (and 4th or 5th overall in SEC) then OUT will get the bid before ISU without a second thought due to name/brand and $$$$.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
SIAP but there better be a stipulation that no byes are awarded to teams that didn't make their own conference final

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Even with that interpretation, I don’t think that’s gonna be a thing. The schools that make up that cohert are most years going to be the traditional powers, especially after realignment. I don’t like it but that’s kinda how it is. Just look at the top 12 from last year.

My point is that if let’s say a Kansas State were ranked #8 and a team like Texas A&M were ranked #9 in their discussions, there’s zero chance the final rankings stay that way and that game is played in Manhattan. A&M would magically jump over KSU because Manhattan is a cold game in December and A&M plays in the SEC.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
My point is that if let’s say a Kansas State were ranked #8 and a team like Texas A&M were ranked #9 in their discussions, there’s zero chance the final rankings stay that way and that game is played in Manhattan. A&M would magically jump over KSU because Manhattan is a cold game in December and A&M plays in the SEC.
You might be right however remember things are about ratings. People love new teams, new stadiums, crazy weather. It might not be the immediate detriment you think. I get where you are coming from though

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
To address some comments from page 1, neither Wazzou nor the Beavs will be a conference champ over the next two years, as they technically don't have a viable conference. Therefore, they won't get one of the five auto bids for conference champs. They will be allowed to be included in the other seven spots.

• Informative
Reactions: mj4cy
Sep 10, 2015
I think so too. I also wonder how much they will switch up their rankings last minute to avoid rematches and things like that to get the matchups they want.

Or in the case of OSU-Michigan they’ll probably use lots of mental gymnastics to get the rankings that ensure those two teams play each other in the playoffs because they want the ratings. They could easily play 3 times a year now (regular season, BTCG, and playoffs).

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Does anyone know why they went with 12 instead of 8 (or even 16)? I'm not a fan of teams getting byes. All it does is give an advantage to the top teams.
Sankey and the expansion committee with Bowlsby originally had 8, but OUT rejected Sankey's poaching overtures as they said easier to make the CFP in the Big 12 with 8. Sankey went back to the committee with "fresh ideas". He steered Bowlsby and the CFP expansion committee to 12 games, and that was enough for OUT to leave.

No idea if the above is true, but I am sticking to this version.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
To address some comments from page 1, neither Wazzou nor the Beavs will be a conference champ over the next two years, as they technically don't have a viable conference. Therefore, they won't get one of the five auto bids for conference champs. They will be allowed to be included in the other seven spots.

If it's the top 5 highest ranked conf. champions, I'd think if Wazzu and Oregon St. added the best they can get to keep a new "Pac 12", most years the winner of that conference would be the 5th. Am I missing something? This seems like an easier path than most other teams beyond the blue bloods.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So this to me means the Big12 could get 2 teams in most years. Probably best we're gonna get being third fiddle.
Then most years if you lost the champ game then your in the playoff playing at whoever got 3rd in the SEC west.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If it's the top 5 highest ranked conf. champions, I'd think if Wazzu and Oregon St. added the best they can get to keep a new "Pac 12", most years the winner of that conference would be the 5th. Am I missing something? This seems like an easier path than most other teams beyond the blue bloods.

WSU and OSU are going essentially an independent route for the next few years. They have a scheduling contract with the MWC, but are not eligible for the conference championship. And with only 2 teams, the PAC championship wouldn’t matter even if it did exist.

But I would expect this to be a temporary situation until the PAC assets are gone and they can join the MWC without fearing of losing control of those assets.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
So this to me means the Big12 could get 2 teams in most years. Probably best we're gonna get being third fiddle.
I think that's optimistic. Sure, there will be years where the Big XII gets 2 teams in, but I suspect it'll only be the conference champ more often than not.

• Agree
Reactions: Big_Sill

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Clonehomer explained it well and this is only temporary until they add more teams to the Pac or they fully join another conference. For those that read the ESPN article, it is stated pretty clearly.

"Washington State president Kirk Schulz, who represents the Pac-12 on the board, told ESPN last week he would confer with Oregon State president Jayathi Y. Murthy and "be ready to vote" on Tuesday. Neither school can qualify for an automatic bid as a conference champion in each of the next two seasons, so Schulz conceded the seven at-large bids would be more beneficial to them than the original proposal of six conference champions and six at-large teams."