Please help solve the mystery that has plagued my life

JunoSosa

Oct 7, 2007
Hello all:

This is another one of my research questions, but this time it has nothing to do with ISU.

Well, it's official, I finally had my long-awaited nervous breakdown. You see, for the past ten years or so, I have been trying to remember the title of a specific movie or TV show and finally I have had enough and am turning to the good people here.

Here are the facts:

This movie/TV show was made before the mid-90's. All I remember is kids gathering around in an alley-- some of them in a shopping cart or pushing a shopping cart-- looking through the window of a warehouse-type building to see an "evil" painter executing a large painting. Later I seem to remember some or all of the kids getting trapped in the painting. I'm not sure if the painting was unfinished or what. This is probably a memory from when I was between 5-10 years old, so perhaps the late '80's to early '90's.

As a child, for the longest time, I thought that the kids were composed of the Goonies kids and this was a Goonies sequel that I was remembering. A search of IMDB for the filmography of the main characters in Goonies, such as Sean Astin, has revealed nothing that would match my memory.

I will be absolutely shocked if anyone can help me from the sparse clues. Of course, it is entirely possible I was experimenting with recreational drugs as a 5 year old.

Thanks for all of your help!!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Was it a movie or a TV show? Because that sounds an awful lot like a would-be plot to an X-Files episode, although I own the first 6 seasons and it's not quite ringing any bells for me.

JunoSosa

Oct 7, 2007
Honestly, I believe it was a movie, but it could've easily been a TV show. Aww, heck, I have no idea. Judging by how much haze surrounds my memory, this was probably before X-Files. I watched a lot of Disney channel and family channel shows, so it could've easily been a TV movie.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This movie/TV show was made before the mid-90's. All I remember is kids gathering around in an alley-- some of them in a shopping cart or pushing a shopping cart-- looking through the window of a warehouse-type building to see an "evil" painter executing a large painting. Later I seem to remember some or all of the kids getting trapped in the painting. I'm not sure if the painting was unfinished or what. This is probably a memory from when I was between 5-10 years old, so perhaps the late '80's to early '90's.

Michael Jackson Smooth Criminal video.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
The Witches? I don't remember anything about an alleyway, but I believe there are a group of witches trying to "rid the world of children" by putting them permanently in paintings. Then this kid some how saves the day after he is turned into a mouse. It was the only "children getting stuck in paintings" movie that I could think of.

JunoSosa

Oct 7, 2007
Hmm, not bad. The alley scene was definitely in the daytime. The alley was on the left portion of the screen and the window was on the right. The shopping cart was gray. One kid may have been sitting in it to get a better view of the window. I believe the painter was wearing a white lab coat and had some facial hair, but that could be wrong. The painter was a white man though. The painting itself may have been a painting of a path that the kids walked into...?

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I've been racking my brain and can't come up with a film that has shopping carts and paintings in it. Thanks for spreading around your nervous breakdown.

JunoSosa

Oct 7, 2007
The Peanut Butter Solution-- doesn't ring any bells, but as I watch it on Google Video, it is hitting all of the appropriate points-- a white boy and asian boy that could pass for Mikey and Data from Goonies, a shopping cart with a kid in it, an evil white painter with facial hair, paintings that people go into...

I am watching the movie now to see if I can find the specific scenes that I remember. But what would be the chances of two movies with such a bizarre plot?

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
For 4 or 5 years in the 90's there was a tv show called "Are You Afraid of the Dark." One episode had a girl that was painting with a specific brush some witch told her to use, and when the paintings are finished with this brush, they are trapped in the painting when they signed it.

Don't know about any shopping carts.

LeBron1

Dec 16, 2009
Hello all:

This is another one of my research questions, but this time it has nothing to do with ISU.

Well, it's official, I finally had my long-awaited nervous breakdown. You see, for the past ten years or so, I have been trying to remember the title of a specific movie or TV show and finally I have had enough and am turning to the good people here.

Here are the facts:

As a child, for the longest time, I thought that the kids were composed of the Goonies kids and this was a Goonies sequel that I was remembering. A search of IMDB for the filmography of the main characters in Goonies, such as Sean Astin, has revealed nothing that would match my memory.

I will be absolutely shocked if anyone can help me from the sparse clues. Of course, it is entirely possible I was experimenting with recreational drugs as a 5 year old.

Thanks for all of your help!!
Well, this is wrong but one of my favorite movies is Where the Day takes you. Sean Astin is in it and they sometimes would push Will Smith around in a shopping cart, but there's no magic painting.

JunoSosa

Oct 7, 2007
I just watched the Peanut Butter Solution on Google Video:

Peanut Butter Solution

As previously mentioned, it seems to hit all of the high points, but I still can't find the smoking gun of the shopping cart in the alley. However, at this point, I am willing to concede that it may have very well been this movie. Nothing that I saw still rings a bell with me though. I'm sure there aren't exactly that many movies with a plot line of shopping carts and magic paintings, so thank you to CyGal for pointing me in that direction. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with their thoughts!

KezClone

Jun 30, 2006
Roland, IA
Of all the things to pull out of that Peanut Butter movie, I don't think shopping cart would be the most memorable!